PG Music Home
Posted By: J. Larry Using BIAB live - 05/21/17 10:20 PM
For those who use BIAB live from a laptop, do you run straight from the audio output to the mixer/sound system, or do you run the output through a digital/analog interface of some kind, then to the PA? I didn’t realize how much the sound could be improved via an interface box. I hooked my laptop via firewire to my PreSonus Firestudio Mobile, and ran its outputs to powered speakers. Wow, how the sound improved! I couldn’t believe the difference it made. That may be old hat to most, but that was new to me.
Posted By: 1manband Re: Using BIAB live - 05/21/17 10:58 PM
I have done it both ways, and yes, it sounds better with an interface. I recently had to go back to using the headphone jack when a Windows update prevented the USB interface from being detected, but later, maybe after another Windows update, it started working again. The difference wasn't drastic for me but it was noticeable.
Posted By: joden Re: Using BIAB live - 05/22/17 01:29 PM
If you use Windows 10 and the WASAPI drivers, then the audio out from the laptop soundcard is quite good. There are reports around the web of live performers getting good results (not necessarily with BIAB) using this method.

With the last three iterations of the W10 OS, Microsoft have improved the WASAPI operation a great deal!

Mind you, I'm not sure if PG Music have caught up with it yet wink
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Using BIAB live - 05/23/17 12:45 AM
Since 2004 I have been going right from the headphone jack on the laptop to either PA or sometimes powered speakers. Most of the time I use this same method with a Bose LII and have what I and audiences think is wonderful sound.

PS: Thanks again Mac for turning me on to BIAB.

Later,
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Using BIAB live - 05/24/17 01:24 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Peavey-3001370-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B004A4PSEU
Posted By: John Payne Re: Using BIAB live - 05/24/17 08:11 PM
I play live quite often and mostly use the headphone out to the PA. I run the latest BIAB Audiophile and am currently using a Lenovo ThinkPad, but over the years have used Samsung, Sony and Dell laptops. On my previous rig (Samsung laptop) the earphone jack became erratic, so I tried a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 USB which turned out to be somewhat unreliable. I believe this has to do with drivers/configuration battles between W10 and BIAB when the Focusrite was connected to a USB port. I also used an M-Auidio Fast-Track C400 USB interface which seems to have no driver problems at all.

However, for this life of me I cannot tell any difference in audio quality between any of these interfaces. Headphone out is sure the simplest way to go.
Posted By: J. Larry Re: Using BIAB live - 05/25/17 11:31 PM
That headphone output makes me nervous, with the possibility of getting a foot tangled up in the cable. But, it works OK. Used it today, since I forgot to take my interface box, which to my hearing sounds better. But, that box is one more thing to plug-up, with accompanying wires and cable. Mine is not USB powered. There’s enough clutter now, with the laptop, powered speakers, mixer, guitar, with effects pedal, vocal mic, with stand and TC Helicon pedal. What else? Stool to sit on, speaker stands, stand for the laptop. And, wires everywhere. There must be a simpler way.
Posted By: tonnie Re: Using BIAB live - 05/29/17 03:46 PM
First of all everything depends on what kind of music you play, which instrument you play and what kind of venues you expect to play in.

My own setup is: a laptop with BB installed, a Roland Studio Canvas SD-50 as sound module and a sound enhamcement or crossover processor, all mounted in a SKB 1SKB19-RSF2U Studio Flyer Laptop/2U Rack/Flight Case.

From there I amplify (nearly) everything (treble and middle) in stereo to a Roland 250 Passport, except for the bass, which goes in Mono to a Gallien-Krueger MBS bass amp.

I prefer BB as there are (slight) variations in the accompanyment, like a real jazz combo.

Moreover I play the 7-string guitar via a Roland GR-33 guitar synth, a small pedal board, into a Quilter 8 combo amp.

As you see my equipment is small, easy to carry and does not take up a lot of space.

The SD-50 improves the sound, compared to any soundcard output!!!

Brgds,
Tonnie van der Heide
© PG Music Forums