PG Music Home
Posted By: jdchess Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/27/17 07:39 PM
Just a weird observation, and was wondering if anyone else had noticed this...

While BiaB or RB either one is playing audio of any kind, if you click on the title bar (horizontal bar that contains minimize, restore, close, etc.) of the main application window or any floating window, then the audio pauses/glitches. With a held left click, it pauses for just a split second, but a held right click will completely pause the audio until you release the mouse button. Anyone else notice this? Is this normal? Like I said, maybe a bug, but likely doesn't matter a whole lot.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/27/17 07:44 PM
Man goes into the docs office, he raises his arm and says, "Doc, every time I do this it hurts." Doc says, "don't do that". grin
Posted By: jdchess Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/27/17 07:46 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Man goes into the docs office, he raises his arm and says, "Doc, every time I do this it hurts." Doc says, "don't do that". grin

Thank you for this. Been feeling a little rough today. That helped. wink
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/27/17 07:48 PM
JD,

I just tried but couldn't replicate the same behaviour. It behaved normally for me in both BIAB and RB. Are you running the latest build of both programs? If you go to the links below, you'll be able to check. (The current build you are using information is found under "Help | About...")

BIAB
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

REALBAND
http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm

Regards,
Noel
Could not duplicate here either.

Guess: a mouse driver that isn't well-written and up-to-date could do that.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/27/17 09:45 PM
On mine, a left click had no effect. Playback continued.
A right-held-click paused the playback, but that is probably because Windows is trying to launch a context menu.
Posted By: Person Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/28/17 05:28 AM
I have the same disease as OP, and I will try the doctors recomendation.
But it's hard to brake old habits. grin
Ok, now we have a second person with this, but several who do not experience it. Although this isn't a serious problem, we should try to figure out what's different about the systems where it happens.

Person, I have the same Windows version as you. Jdchess, please post some detail about your system. In particular, what version of Windows? Both of you, what brand mouse?
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/28/17 10:32 AM
HI All
In my experience sooner or later any pc can /will clog up and cause glitches in the Audio
This depends on so many things like running background task drivers audio and other that are running, multi tasking and multiple threaded processes memory size and speed processor speed etc etc
Try killing all unnecessary tasks and processes like virus protect, indexing ,and anything else running in the task bar that you don’t need for BIAB like Skype or other background like Ms messenger

Just my thoughts
Mike
That's very good advice.

A great tool that may find audio glitches is DPC Latency Checker, a free download. It reads 1000 too high on Windows 10 (and 8) but it will still identify problems and has good instructions. There are other more powerful programs for this, too.

But I don't think that's what is happening here.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/28/17 11:48 AM
That doesn't happen here. My guess is that, as all ready mentioned, things running in the background plus a slower less powerful computer system that those of us that are not experiencing that problem. YMMV
Posted By: Person Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/28/17 12:07 PM
An update,
I have now tested other programs I have, like Cubase and Transcribe, which have
similar behavior, if I click as discussed, the cursor hooks up or stops.
So I don't think it's related to PG Music.
OK, thanks for the info. Your PC is certainly powerful enough.

Is this a Dell or HP off the shelf? What kind of mouse do you use?
Posted By: Person Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/28/17 02:51 PM
I have Microsoft Wireless 5000 mouse and keyboard.
The computer is built by the shop in my country.
Thanks. Humor me and try a wired mouse as a test.
Posted By: jdchess Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/28/17 03:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Ok, now we have a second person with this, but several who do not experience it. Although this isn't a serious problem, we should try to figure out what's different about the systems where it happens.

Person, I have the same Windows version as you. Jdchess, please post some detail about your system. In particular, what version of Windows? Both of you, what brand mouse?

Matt,

System is a desktop that I built with a few leftovers and is mainly used for BiaB and very little else. It's an ASUS mobo with a quad core AMD Phenom II X4 830 running at 2.8Ghz (not an i7 by any means but plenty for running an application like BiaB). Windows 10 Pro with 8GB of RAM. I actually work in IT for a living as a network admin, so I keep the machine running extremely lean. It's very clean and has no other noticeable issues. CPU rarely tops more than ~30% during RT generation, and then almost never hits more than ~14% during playback. That, coupled with BiaB's small memory footprint making RAM essentially a non-issue, means that it certainly does not appear to be a system resource problem. No other applications display the same behavior for me. The mouse is a wired ASUS using the generic HID-compliant mouse MS driver.

It's likely not a major issue at all, but as an IT guy, it does make me curious.

Jason
It makes me curious, too. Former comp. sci. prof here.

So it's likely not the mouse. Good luck!
Posted By: jdchess Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/28/17 03:54 PM

Thanks for encouraging me to dive even deeper down the rabbit hole of "doesn't really matter, but I just have to know!"

LOL
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Possibly a bug, but may not matter... - 05/28/17 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: jdchess

Thanks for encouraging me to dive even deeper down the rabbit hole of "doesn't really matter, but I just have to know!"

LOL

Also... it would be worth trying "Reset to factory settings" under the 'Options' menu on the top menu bar. Before doing that, though, I suggest saving your present settings (which is also a choice under 'Options').
© PG Music Forums