PG Music Home
How do I force the bass to play a D on ^C/D chord...
the song is a simple 4/4, even16s progression in the key of G.

G, ^Bm / C, ^G / G, ^Bm / C, ^C/D

the bass just wants to play a C on the last chord...
I also tried to type D11, but it changes what I type to D4sus
Sure it wasn't D9sus?

Anyway, that's an option you can select in recent versions of BIAB. Go into Display Options and you'll see a checkbox, "Display C9sus as C11". There are a few other related options there.

As to the first question, that sounds like it might be a bug. Reboot, return to factory settings. If it still does it, then I would suspect a problem with that particular Hold file, and it should be reported to PG Music Support. Give them the RealTrack number and name of the bass.
"Sure it wasn't D9sus?

Anyway, that's an option you can select in recent versions of BIAB. Go into Display Options and you'll see a checkbox, "Display C9sus as C11". There are a few other related options there."

yes you're correct on the second question. I can't read... Thanks for that display tip...
when I remove the Push^, the bass plays a D, as it should.

Using several different Bass realtracks, the pushed ^C/D always plays a C, and the un-pushed C/D plays a D.

is this a program bug?

I also noticed while playing, the hi-lighted ^pushed chords don't show up in white-over-black, while the chord is playing.
That's good work to isolate the problem. Now tell us the name and number of the bass RealTrack, and we'll try to duplicate the problem. Then we'll know if it should be reported.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
That's good work to isolate the problem. Now tell us the name and number of the bass RealTrack, and we'll try to duplicate the problem. Then we'll know if it should be reported.

Thanks Matt... The problem I had was using RealTrack #s: 1636, 1825, 1826, 700. Song Tempo=75
Glad its not just me. Ive been doing a gypsy jazz track and on a descending run of chords D/A, D5/A, etc always plays the Bass as D. Not a major prob for me, just very annoying.
WendyM
probs a really silly question, but you do have the "Ignore slash root of slash chords - except bass" option set to off, yes?
Originally Posted By: joden
probs a really silly question, but you do have the "Ignore slash root of slash chords - except bass" option set to off, yes?

Where do I find that option?
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Originally Posted By: joden

Where do I find that option?

Yes, I wondered if the location of this was going to be that obvious.
Song Settings (Control-N):

Attached picture 2017-06-12_08-37-32.jpg
But even if set wrong, the bass still plays the slash root.
Thanks, in my case, that option was not selected.
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Thanks Matt... The problem I had was using RealTrack #s: 1636, 1825, 1826, 700. Song Tempo=75

Well, bad news: it's likely not a defective Hold file. These use three different holds.

Report it to Support tomorrow.
A workaround for the moment would be...

1. Find whatever chords you need to use to get the bass you want. It doesn't matter if the chords are different from your final progression.

2. Generate the song.

3. Freeze the bass line.

4. Change the chords to the progression you want.

5. Regenerate the song. The frozen bass track will remain unchanged.

The song should now play with the chords and bass you seek.

Regards,
Noel
Great workaround Noel. Thanks...
Conversely, the method Noel describes is often the reason people post here and say their song doesn't sound like what they wrote (and it's because they froze it earlier in development).
Yes, workarounds can be problematic, and generally a pain in the neck. Still, I'm grateful for the cool tool that BIAB is... I do hope that PG Music will address this issue at some point.
Thanks again Matt
My experience is that a midi bass track will usually, if not always, play the note indicated by a slash chord but a real track bass part is very hit and miss. Whenever it's important to me for the bass to play the indicated root in a slash chord, I have to use a midi bass.

Having said that, I have never experimented with the check box that Video Track points out. I will try that this week to see if selecting that forces a real track bass to play the slash chord root.
The tool tip would indicate it won't matter. The RealTrack would play the slash root bass anyway, unless the player who recorded it just plain didn't play that.
I just tried selecting the box "Ignore Slash Root of Slash Chords except Bass Track" on a song that typically does not play the correct RealTrack bass note on chords with a slash root, and it made no difference. The bass still played the normal root of the chord rather than the one I indicated by the slash root.

In case it matters, the chords that are not played with the correct bass note are pushed. I think that increases the chances of playing the wrong note.
Yes, I think it matters because there are completely different files called by pushes. The reports so far of aberrations have been for pushes, or for holds. This sounds like it can be fixed by PG Music if you send it to them.
Will do. Thanks.
© PG Music Forums