PG Music Home
Posted By: WendyM Style for Elvis "Pocketful of Rainbows"? - 06/14/17 06:19 AM
Im stuck. Im looking for a style for this Elvis clasic. Can anyone offer an idea please?
I have Ultra2017 and the Extra styles packs so not short of a few to choose from. If i only knew which!lol
Or what tracks could i build it up from?
WendyM
Originally Posted By: WendyM
Im stuck. Im looking for a style for this Elvis clasic. Can anyone offer an idea please?
I have Ultra2017 and the Extra styles packs so not short of a few to choose from. If i only knew which!lol
Or what tracks could i build it up from?
WendyM

Wendy, an excellent way to effectively search for a suitable style for a song is to use the Play Button rather than the Play Icon in the Style Picker Window.

The Play Icon, plays the selected style demo.

The Play Button, plays the selected style over your chord progression and your song's tempo.

There can be dramatic differences between the sound of the selected style demo and the sound of the selected style over your chord progression.

Coupled with the Style Picker search filters, you can not only search for an appropriate style, but for a featured PGMusic session musician, a Realtrack in your selected style from another style that will be the same instrument by the same musician but playing a different pattern or style that you can use to change within your song. For instance, an acoustic guitar RealTrack, alternate the same instrument between fingerpicking and strumming patterns.

There are many other possibilities and I've recommended to Joanne Cooper that she features this in one of her future blogs. I've found it to be a very powerful search feature.

Charlie

Attached picture play button.JPG
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Style for Elvis "Pocketful of Rainbows"? - 06/14/17 01:13 PM
Wendy:

It's a rhumba. You might try the style RumbaBol.

Good luck!
LLOYD
Posted By: WendyM Re: Style for Elvis "Pocketful of Rainbows"? - 06/14/17 06:07 PM
Hello Charlie. I never know there was a difference. I do now and it does help a lot especially when trying to get a style to fit some chords. I shall remember that one. Many thanks.
Hello Floyd.Spot On-its a darned RUMBA!! Ive been trying all manner of country ballads, pop ballads etc etc and geting nowhere. Thank you for spotting that. Rumbabol is great. I subbed out the 920 piano for a Piano, held, 120 and its as close as I'm going to want for a Live gig.
What a great site this is.
WendyM
That's a great tip Charlie! I've always used the green "Play" icon, always wondered why it didn't sound as good when I move it over to my chord progression and tempo. This makes all the difference in the world. Many thanks for posting this great tip!

Jeff
You're welcome Jeff and Wendy. I agree, it has made a big difference for me as well.

Charlie
Charlie,

Perhaps you'll take time to repost your information in the Tips & Tricks section of the forum. That will make it much easier to find in future forum searches!
Posted By: WendyM Re: Style for Elvis "Pocketful of Rainbows"? - 06/17/17 06:10 AM
An observation. Ive tried the Play button and i like whatit does but it only plays the first 4 bars of my chord sheet. All well and good if all instruments in yr song play together in those 4 bars. But i have a song where bars 1-8 are piano only before the band gets out of bed so the Play feature doesnt help there.
Unless of course, there is a way to extend the number of bars in Play?
WendyM
Originally Posted By: WendyM
An observation. Ive tried the Play button and i like whatit does but it only plays the first 4 bars of my chord sheet. All well and good if all instruments in yr song play together in those 4 bars. But i have a song where bars 1-8 are piano only before the band gets out of bed so the Play feature doesnt help there.
Unless of course, there is a way to extend the number of bars in Play?
WendyM

Deselect (uncheck) the 4 bar preview button and the whole song will play.

But here's a tip. Many songs use the first 4 bars for the intro which many times is a different chord progression than your verse, chorus or the hook of your song.

I sometimes temporarily change those first 4 bars of the song to different chords than the intro and use those 4 bars to focus in on a particular section of my song and this allows me to quickly search and audition styles or RealTracks. When I find a suitable style or track, I change the first 4 bars back to the correct chords for my song.

Those 4 bars can be any chord progression you wish, rather than only the first 4 bars of your song. It's a time saving feature.

Charlie

Attached picture Capture.JPG
© PG Music Forums