PG Music Home
Posted By: MPH1963 New User: Solos & Vocals - 08/15/17 01:07 PM
I'm a relatively new BIAB user, so I hope you'll forgive me asking where to find something in Help. I'm sure it's there, I just don't know where to look.

I'm trying to figure out two things in a track I'm working on -- how I'm going to add a solo bridge to my song in which I am in complete control of what the soloist plays, and how to add silent notation for a vocal line (the notes are there as a guide, but aren't played).

I don't expect a full answer -- just where in Help I can find it.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: New User: Solos & Vocals - 08/15/17 01:34 PM
Greetings MPH1963 and welcome to the forum!

Your signature or post does not indicate if you're working with the Windows or Mac version of Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) or anything about your computer or studio setup so it is difficult to provide specific suggestions. Adding such information to the signature line of your profile will help us to help you. See my signature as an example.

Do you want BiaB to create the solo or do you intend to record a performance? If you're recording, you can use BiaB's audio track to record both a vocal and solo since the two occur at different times within the song.

The midi thru and audio tracks are normally hidden in the mixer but there are buttons in the bottom right of the mixer to individually expose the tracks.

Attached picture Audio Track Button Position.jpg
Attached picture Exposed Audio Track.jpg
Posted By: jford Re: New User: Solos & Vocals - 08/15/17 01:40 PM
Hi, MPH -

For both items, you'll need to either use the editable notation view or the piano roll notation view. There, you can enter notes on the soloist track for your specific solo. You can enter your melody line on the melody track, and then using the F5 (bar settings) dialog, you can mute the melody track so it doesn't actually play.

Alternately, if you use a separate notation program, you can export MIDI from the notation program and import into the melody and soloist tracks respectively.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New User: Solos & Vocals - 08/15/17 03:44 PM
Welcome!

In addition to the previous comments...

Realtracks cannot be controlled by notation so, if you are creating solos with these, they are as they are generated and cannot be changed. The notation is provided so that users can see what is played.

MIDI, on the other hand, can be controlled via notation. If you want to add a MIDI solo manually (as jford suggests) or use the MIDI Soloist generator in BIAB to create a solo that you can modify, you will be able to have complete control over this.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: MPH1963 Re: New User: Solos & Vocals - 08/15/17 04:54 PM
Thank you for the input. For the record, I am using the Windows version with a basic condenser mic and an Akai LPK25 MIDI controller.
© PG Music Forums