PG Music Home
i would like to mute the guitar part permanently. As it is, I have to mute it every time I load a track that has guitar comping on it.
Save custom User Styles you create from a list of favorite styles you use after you have erased the guitar part. There after, each time you use a style you think you will use again, erase the guitar track and save it as a new User Style.
There is no global override that will mute the Guitar track in all song files.

If you want to save a single file with the track silenced, turn the volume of the track down to zero and then save the file. The muting and soloing buttons do not save in files.

Charlie's idea above is a good one.
how do you "erase" a part? All i've ever done is mute it? I'll try the other suggestion of turning the volume down.

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Save custom styles you create from a list of favorite styles you use after you have erased the guitar part. There after, each time you use a style you think you will use again, erase the guitar track and save it as a new custom style.
< how do you "erase" a part? >

Note: You must first generate a song so there is audio/midi data to erase.

Right click on the track description in the MIxer
Select Track Actions/Erase Track
----
OK to Erase RealTrack = Yes
Ok to Erase MIDI Data = Yes

----
Freeze Track. You will get a message the track is empty - Do you want to generate it first? = No

Select Yes to save the empty track.

-----

Select the Save As command/

Save Song with Patches Harmony (alt-F2)

From the patches window that appears, make sure that the track frozen box is checked and that the save all settings with song is checked

Click OK -

If you regenerate the song, the frozen track remains silent and no instrument is generated for that track.

If you close the file and open that SGU song again, the track will be frozen and will not generate.

If you select a new style from the Style Picker, the frozen track remains silent and does not generate.

If you unfreeze the track - it generates...

If you mute the track and hit F9, it will save it as a User Style.

You do not have to erase your guitar track to save a User Style without the guitar track. If you Mute a track, a User Style will not save the muted track. So, when you find a style you will want to use again, mute the guitar track and save as a User Track and your custom song will be complete except there will be no guitar track. It is gone permanently, (unless you bring it back)

I have requested for a long time that the status of Mute for tracks be saved with the song.

Perhaps you could give it another try in the Wishlist.

In the meantime I use the workaround of saving the track with a volume of zero.
You can also Right Click the track you don't want to generate audio: Select Track Settings/XX track is Enabled - and click it to toggle to disable the track and the instrument will not generate.
Good tip, Charlie. That would also save on song regeneration time, I trust.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Good tip, Charlie. That would also save on song regeneration time, I trust.

I would think so Matt. It appears as if the disabled track isn't there (greyed out) and is completely ignored for all intents and purpose.

I explained the more convoluted erasure method to address the specific question of the original poster not knowing his purpose. I have had instances using imported midi in which a midi track will inadvertently regenerate so I wanted to demonstrate the need to eliminate the underlying midi as well as the RealTrack.

Also, if you save the song, the saved song does retain the disabled setting and that may be a reason PGMusic has not addressed the Mute setting being saved since it accomplishes the same result.
Charlie,

Thank you for reminding me about enabling tracks. It's one of BIAB's features that I haven't ever used so it tends to slip to the back of my mind.

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I have requested for a long time that the status of Mute for tracks be saved with the song.

Another vote of 100% support.
Turning the volume down on the guitar track and saving the song did *NOT* save the volume settings on that track. So i'm back to having to mute every time I load a song. frown
Did you freeze the track and then save?
Originally Posted By: jzucker
Turning the volume down on the guitar track and saving the song did *NOT* save the volume settings on that track. So i'm back to having to mute every time I load a song. frown

That's strange. I take it that you are meaning the volume reverted to 90 even though you saved it with a volume of zero. If you have BIAB 2017, this version of the program allows the mixer settings (Volume, Pan, Reverb, Tone) to all save. Something is amiss if that's not happening.

A couple of thoughts that might help...

When you start up BIAB have you tried right-clicking on the start-up shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" to start the program in administrator mode?

Do you have the latest build? To find out, have a look under "Help | About Band In A Box". BIAB is currently up to build #467.

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums