PG Music Home
Posted By: AFB Multiple soloists in song file - 10/30/17 06:28 PM
OK, So BIAB is huge and I don't know even a fraction of what is possible and I have had one version or another for years but am far from expert. My version: BIAB for Windows 2017 Build 457.

Question: I would like to have BIAB generate a Solo line for several soloists like in the real world where a jazz man hands off a solo line to another and maybe in the last chorus you get back to the whole combo, etc. I still can't get this to work right in BIAB. In the soloist window I'll check and uncheck the first second and third choruses as needed and the latest soloist I've defined is the only one that persists.

With all the capabilities of BIAB I can't believe this would be something that requires a work around. I have done this by saving out the soloists as a wave file and mixing it down with another sequencer application.

What is the secret?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 10/30/17 11:01 PM
F5
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 10/31/17 02:55 AM
Check out the medley of soloist instruments that play alternately on the same track. Search for medley in the Stylepicker. Alternately, you can create your own as well.

The medley soloists are programmed to alternate in different ways. Every 4 bars, 8 bars or part marker.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 10/31/17 01:55 PM
Less crytic.

Look for my video on how to use F5 to tell who to play what and when.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.user.htm
Posted By: AFB Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 10/31/17 05:01 PM
Charley,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I did a quick browse of the "Help Index" "Search Tab" on "medley" and it gave me a hit on the "Medley Maker."

My browse of this "tool" capability leads me to think it is for making a medley of whole songs and transitions between them. Am I in the wrong category for what you are suggesting or is there a way to hack this function within the same song?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 10/31/17 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: AFB

Question: I would like to have BIAB generate a Solo line for several soloists like in the real world where a jazz man hands off a solo line to another and maybe in the last chorus you get back to the whole combo, etc. .... In the soloist window I'll check and uncheck the first second and third choruses as needed and the latest soloist I've defined is the only one that persists.

You are looking in the wrong place. Did you view the video and try F5?
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 10/31/17 08:49 PM
My mistake. I inadvertently wrote StylePicker. Search in the RealTrack Picker and filter the search for Medley.

Edit:
You can also create your own medleys in Biab. Each track of the mixer can have up to 10 different instruments occupy space along the track.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 11/01/17 12:38 PM
OK,
Question: I would like to have BIAB generate a Solo line for several soloists like in the real world where a jazz man hands off a solo line to another and maybe in the last chorus you get back to the whole combo, etc. I still can't get this to work right in BIAB. In the soloist window I'll check and uncheck the first second and third choruses as needed and the latest soloist I've defined is the only one that persists.

What is the secret?

Take it over to Real Band. You can open the BB file in Real Band. In RB, simply add the additional solo player tracks as needed and use volume envelopes to bring them in and out when you want.

I do this all the time in my DAW Sonar. I use RB to make the tracks and move them to Sonar. However, RB will do it all right there in the program.
Posted By: AFB Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 11/03/17 07:17 PM
I did a bit of experimenting and remembered that I could bounce the solos generated by Solo Maker to other unused tracks. I also found I could use "custom" soloist ranges to have one soloist follow another in any given chorus timeline.

So mission accomplished.

I have another issue though which I would ask in another post but I can not do that for another 300 minutes, which is inconvenient today.

I'll ask it here:
It is a timing problem I'm having syncing the real drums ".wav" file that is saved when I save a song out to a .midi format. I .wav doesn't sync correctly to the midi data in my sequencer software. Since folks are making references to non-BIAB applications here I will say that the sequencer application is "Cakewalk Music Creator" which happily accepts .wav input in a track parallel timewise to midi data in a project.

No matter how I save the BIAB source file (that is with or without a countin)when I input the audio data (.wav)file at the beginning time mark of the midi data, the result is that the drum track is off the beat relative to the midi. I'm sure I have done this successfully before but now it doesn't give the correct results. I've generated the drum .wav file two ways, by the default saving song as midi and letting BIAB create the .wav and I've rendered the drum track and used that both with and without countin beats.

Does anyone have an idea what could be going wrong?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 11/03/17 07:35 PM
If Music Creator is anything like SONAR, then can you enter the tempo of the song? The audio isn't affected, but the MIDI playback is.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 11/03/17 07:37 PM
I have another issue though which I would ask in another post but I can not do that for another 300 minutes,

Really? I wonder if this is some sort of limit imposed on new posters. Could you tell us exactly what the message says?
Posted By: AFB Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 11/03/17 08:21 PM
Reply to Matt F.

Here is the reply and it has been less than 300 minutes. I don't know what generated the message I got the other day except that I haven't been registered with the forum for more than a few days. I haven't been able to reproduce the conditions by virtue of replying s I guess it is unimportant to me at least.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 11/03/17 08:23 PM
Quote:
I have another issue though which I would ask in another post but I can not do that for another 300 minutes, which is inconvenient today.

Interesting.

Come to think of it, it's been a while since we've been bombed with spam. I wonder if this is how it's caught? That is, a user's posts are restricted until that user is identified by the moderators as legitimate. It's a good plan if that's what's happening.

Posted By: AFB Re: Multiple soloists in song file - 11/03/17 08:41 PM
Matt,

On the matter of tempo,

I will compare the tempo in each application which indeed is variable in "Music Creator." I don't suspect that to be the problem though for this reason:

In the M.C. timeline the .wav seems to be off by only the smallest fraction of a full measure at the start. [I wonder if it is a pickup note.] The .wav file time line at the end is almost identical to the last ending midi track. I conclude if the tempo were off by even more than a tick or two, the accumulated error expanded across the entire timespan would be quit noticeable at the end, would it not? It definitely is not that in all my test cases.

If I could use the notation view to find to the downbeat of the first measure I could slide the RealDrums audio into sync in M.C. Problem is I am unable to show notation for a RealDrums track and I assume the same goes for an event list. Maybe I can open the .wav in a wave file editor but this is getting very convoluted.

Interesting problem.
© PG Music Forums