PG Music Home
Posted By: DEddy Old USB vs New USB HD - 12/03/17 12:24 PM
Ok now I'm confused about the (coming) New USB HD setup.

I know there are 4 options on setting BIAB. I think I want the New to install over the Old USB HD but how...I still want to run it from USB.

Which option do I choose, a Full install over the Old?

I have 30 GB left on the Old USB and the web site says 90 GB is required for a Full install on Drive C. This is where I'm confused. Do you think it will install properly??

On the flip side, maybe I should use the New USB HD and just reinstall the Extras I purchased. But... I lose all my settings & Fav listing.

Any advice / comments would be appreciated (before the New arrives.) Hope you can understand what I'm getting at.

Thanks for your time.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Old USB vs New USB HD - 12/03/17 05:00 PM
Installing on drive C i'd never do .... f.i. in case of making a image backup of your boot partition this will increase time and size of that, as the size at least doubles, probably more. I use a separate 2 TB internal SATA3 drive for BIAB Audiophile and all the files and stuff for BIAB i collected over the years. And even that drive is getting too small ... The USB drive from PG i would keep as backup for an eventual re-installation. Alas if you use a laptop i can see your problem though. -F
Posted By: DEddy Re: Old USB vs New USB HD - 12/03/17 09:58 PM
Thanks for the tip(s).
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Old USB vs New USB HD - 12/04/17 01:50 AM
DEddy,

My experience is that BIAB installs over the top of existing versions rather than install a new copy and then delete the old copy.

With this is mind, the 30 GB should be ok if the size of your existing \bb directory is around 80-90 GB.

Also, have a look at my comments in this thread. They address aspects of your question.

www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=442252#Post442253

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: DEddy Re: Old USB vs New USB HD - 12/04/17 09:32 AM
Noel thanks for taking the time to comment.
Posted By: DEddy Re: Old USB vs New USB HD - 12/04/17 09:34 AM
Fiddler2007: thanks for the reminder about Win Image backup, I forgot about that. I do an Image every month (and it's slow enough on my "older" computer).
Posted By: jford Re: Old USB vs New USB HD - 12/04/17 01:53 PM
Remember, a lot of the files are still the same from previous versions, or even if updated, they have the same file name. So even if 2018 is larger than your older version, much of the content is the same and as such, won't take additional space. The install routines just copy files over from the BB folder on the external USB to wherever you specified in the setup routine. If the file already exists (it will just overwrite it with the newer file), and then add any new files, but not delete any older files that may not be present on the new version, so you don't lose anything.

I don't think the 202 new RT's is anywhere close to 30GB of data, so you should be fine if you want to install over the old version.

That being said, you can easily purchase 1 or 2TB drives for under $100. I keep my PGMusic provide USB's as backups (and probably going way too far back, but I'm nostalgic that way), and always install to a different medium (whether the internal hard drive or a separate external USB drive).

But to each his own.
Posted By: DEddy Re: Old USB vs New USB HD - 12/04/17 07:00 PM
Thanks JFord.
© PG Music Forums