PG Music Home
Posted By: Vincente BiaB 2018 won't load UVIworkStation Plug-in - 12/05/17 12:21 AM
BiaB 2018 won't load UVIworkStation Plug-in.
Before upgrade to Biab2018 from Biab2015 the UVIWorkStation plug-in worked fine.
It now does not load with Biab2018.
Does anyone has same issue ?
Can you find it but it won't successfully load, or is it that now you cannot find it at all?
Biab tried to load but can't load the plug-in. I have UVIWorkstationVTS, ver 2.6.15
Sonar X still load it fine.
SIMILAR problem here

when I try to Load UVIworkstation I get the following Fatal Error:

"standard blah blah blah error details:
"Could not find imported function in specified DLL."

this error pop-up occurs when I click OK, it again appears (so that's twice) I click OK but THEN it does LOAD UVI and UVI seems to work??

Larry

edit update

I thought it might be BECAUSE UVI workstation requires PACE/iLOk but I tried a number of other plugs that use PACE/iLOk all without issue
It might be worthwhile reporting this to PG Music support. If you do, please provide them with as much detail as possible.
already done (just reported via email)
PG Music sell the Ravenscroft Piano plugin that uses UVIWorkstation.

http://www.pgmusic.com/vilabsravenscroft.htm

Hopefully a fix is just around that proverbial corner.

30 yrs of development, the biab still a lot of bugs every time release the new rev. Sound like the tool that used to devel. not good at all.
It's not the development tools, its a poor coder (carpenter, welder, painter, writer,...) that blames his tools!

It is simply a matter of the time, money and ability to actually TEST all branches in all conditions for all possible configurations, or even conceive of all branches, conditions and configurations, simply not feasible.

Ask any large, and honest, Asian, AU, CA, EU, UK or US gov't, military, commercial, or medical SW developer.

I have yet to buy a BUG free music program or DAW from ANYBODY (that's why they PATCH)!

Larry
Yes, excellent point Larry.

As long as the developers are being proactive to quickly resolve identified issues, that's all we can ask for.

Regular updates with bug-fixes is acceptable to me.
Same Problem here with UVI
Larry,

Bad tool could limited the feature of program, make coders harder to program, create bugs ect.
I understand that there's no program is free of bug, but the program has just released in one week but had two patches. This tell me that it's not enough testing prior release.

PG had a great ideal in creating this piece of SW for music but need to improve UI and should utilize the current hardware of PC: build 64bis app. There's the tool like QT to devel. the sw for both WIN and MAC.

It's just my opinion.
Still there is no fix for this issue ?
Well, you know it's like a cult thing. You will have people defend Delphi to the death, but I didn't know they were still around. I'm guessing we looking at one of the biggest reasons it is still around ... sort of like a living legend.

It is a very impressive program by any means, but you think they would have moved on to something with more meat on the bone. You can only fatten up a game hen so much before you have to start pulling out the bigger bird to feed the masses, imho.

It seems to work for the most part, but come on people please don't try and pretend this thing isn't showing its age!

Edit: It also needed a $10 "walker" in order to run. Go figure!
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
that's all we can ask for.

Paid pretty good money for this program, I do believe that should come with more benefits than a program given away for free.

Regular updates with bug-fixes is acceptable to me.

You might be comfortable with accepting that, but most pay money for a program in hopes that the developers will keep the program up-to-date. Not just with new features, but also the "core" engine.

I understand where you're coming from and I do agree. It would be nice to have regular updates and bug fixes, but as a paying customer we can ask for more. We might not get what we ask for, but at least they are made aware of it.

You might have been around here too long, this is not opensource, nor is it freeware. Let's get them to step up their game even higher.

The programming is tight and can speak for itself, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.
CoolBreeze,
FYI Borland Delphi is still around with diff name:https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi

I don't know the PG music updated their tool yet ? smile
Originally Posted By: CoolBreeze
Well, you know it's like a cult thing. You will have people defend Delphi to the death, but I didn't know they were still around.

It is a very impressive program by any means, but you think they would have moved on to something with more meat on the bone.

CoolBreese, interesting points. Are you a computer programmer?

Joel Spolsky is a New York software developer with some excellent ideas.

He wrote this article - a long time ago now. It's great advice and this advice is still current. The article discusses rewriting code from scratch.

If it was decided to port to a different development platform, don't expect the next release for a long time. A very long time. And what would be delivered after that extraordinary wait? Exactly what we have now, except with a whole new set of bugs thrown in that need to be painfully sorted out.

Joel also makes other excellent points:

"When you throw away code and start from scratch, you are throwing away all that knowledge. All those collected bug fixes. Years of programming work.

You are throwing away your market leadership. You are giving a gift of two or three years to your competitors."

PG Music have provided no fewer than 4 public release updates for 2018 in less than 2 weeks. To me that says they are proactive in resolving issues.

I wonder could you share your ideas about exactly what functionality BiaB could deliver if written in another language that the current one can't?

Thanks,

Trevor
Quote:
PG Music have provided no fewer than 4 public release updates for 2018 in less than 2 weeks. To me that says they are proactive in resolving issues.

It shouldn't have many bugs like that before released to the public smile
Depending on who you ask, I'd like to think I can program, and I have worked in the past as a developer/tester.

He wrote this article - a long time ago now. It's great advice and this advice is still current.

Are you trying to say that there has never been a successfully rewritten piece of software, because you referred to a very old article citing the version #6 release of a web browser?

That's the beauty of software design, is that it has moved forward with better tools and methodologies that have advanced the whole playing field. What version would BIAB be at, V30? You don't honestly believe that MS Windows is still being built on its old technology from over 30 years ago?

I'm not expecting to pour my heart and soul into a web browser, and then turn around and expect the "Web Browser" that I paid for to play nice and produce something beautiful for me. BTW it also has to play nice with the other thousands of browsers and addons out there.

Not the same story at all, but I do understand where you're coming from. I do like Embarcadero Technologies and what they have done with their products.

The thing I discovered a long time ago, and is still true today, is that although those Pascal Objects look pretty, they don't behave the same as the other components in the system. Like for instance in RB where the scroll wheel on my mouse decides to have a mind of its own. Yeah I could probably find some adjustments to make, but that is just the first clue that some other things might be different or quirky. You can call it "Modern" all you want, sort of like calling BB lite pro, is still not going to make it so.

If it was decided to port to a different development platform, don't expect the next release for a long time. A very long time. And what would be delivered after that extraordinary wait? Exactly what we have now, except with a whole new set of bugs thrown in that need to be painfully sorted out.

Pardon me if I quote Prince here, "forever's a mighty long time, but I'm here to tell you there's something else!" Seeing that's about how long it's been running on the same codebase, I think we could even spare a decade or two for them to come up with one product that covers the need of two.

Again don't get me wrong, I love what they've done with BIAB & RB. They have really outdone themselves, but the market is full of really good products that do what they suppose to do.

Bugs will always be a part of the process, but how about taking care of existing ones before adding new features that just introduce more bugs? It's called feature creep, and they have a bad case of it, there's no denying that.

Joel also makes other excellent points:

"When you throw away code and start from scratch, you are throwing away all that knowledge. All those collected bug fixes. Years of programming work.

You are throwing away your market leadership. You are giving a gift of two or three years to your competitors."

No he doesn't, when you lose an employee, then you are throwing away knowledge and may have to start from scratch. That code isn't going anywhere, it's still right here on our machines, and I pity the fool who doesn't have a backup of their codebase.

You have the gifting wrong, PG Music is resting on their laurels(market leadership) thus giving their competitors the gift of two or three years to go for that leadership.

Seriously now to put it simply, if I understand logic correctly, then throwing away a loop that I wrote in Cobol 30 yrs ago is not throwing away knowledge. I should be able to code a loop, list, or any other function once I learn the semantics of the new language.

When you learn it's more like gaining something and not losing something.

PG Music seems to be very on point no doubt. That's why I didn't even wait the full 30 days to activate the software, because I very much have faith in their ability to code.

So to sum it all up, a smoother experience, and better integration all around. I could go on, but I've rambled on long enough.

I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but I just don't see it the same way. I love the programs, but they're not going to lose anything moving to a new codebase. There is no way they are on the latest release, if anything it looks like the latest would be 2014.
We've been doing some testing, and the change seems to be with the UVIWorkStation plugin and not with Band-in-a-Box.

- I located an earlier DLL (version 2.1.8.0, dated 11/06/2013) and it works fine with Band-in-a-Box.

- The newer DLL (version 2.6.15.0, dated 10/27/2017) does not work, it does not load and gives the error message as noted earlier in this thread. This error message comes from the DLL. We do not know at this point what is causing this error.

- This also occurs with all versions of Band-in-a-Box back to 2014, including 2015. (earlier versions not tested).
Andrew - PG Music
Thanks for your info.
Just for your info. from mine: Before upgraded to 2018, I had Biab2015pro and UVIworkStation plug-in 2.6.15. The BIaB2015 loaded fine with My PC, OS WIN10.
Posted By: A_R Re: BiaB 2018 won't load UVIworkStation Plug-in - 12/15/17 09:59 PM
Depending on who you ask, I'd like to think I can program, and I have worked in the past as a developer/tester.

[quote=VideoTrack] He wrote this article - a long time ago now. It's great advice and this advice is still current.

The thing I discovered a long time ago, and is still true today, is that although those Pascal Objects look pretty, they don't behave the same as the other components in the system. Like for instance in RB where the scroll wheel on my mouse decides to have a mind of its own. Yeah I could probably find some adjustments to make, but that is just the first clue that some other things might be different or quirky. You can call it "Modern" all you want, sort of like calling BB lite pro, is still not going to make it so.

I've been using Delphi since 1995 and I'm wondering if you can fill me in on what exactly these "Pascal Objects" are that you are referring to?
" Delphi is the choice for developers wanting the power, readability and flexibility of the Modern Object Pascal language, coupled with native compilers and component libraries for fast single source code development on Windows, macOS, iOS, Android and Linux."

You must be kidding, it's plastered on the front page of their site. I had checked out Delphi back in the day when I was using Lazarus and CodeTyphon, but I never stayed with Pascal.

Why even JavaScript has passed up Pascal, so please spare me the sales pitch about how wonderful and efficient it is, because we already know that it's no joke.

With that being said, I can't seem to do anything serious with this product written in it. I've sent in a support request, and I've posted it here with no response from PG yet. I also see that other people are having problems with the audio and rendering, so I'm not worried that it won't be fixed.

So to sum it up, what I am worried about is the fact that I can't get Realband to focus on one track without jumping and scrolling like crazy. The late 90's was about the time I stopped using them because of the same quirky behavior seen in their prebuilt components.

I'm not trying to make it seem like doom and gloom, but there are going to be a lot more edge cases where there are going to be issues using it.

Let's not try to kid ourselves here, just like every other piece software ever written, it does have its own set of issues.
Posted By: A_R Re: BiaB 2018 won't load UVIworkStation Plug-in - 12/16/17 09:24 AM
FL Studio is written using Delphi and are many other properly functioning programs, the behavior you mention is all based out how event handlers are coded to respond to Windows' messages, it has nothing to do with the language the program is written in. The problem with BIAB is it's a DOS program that is merely using Windows as it's GUI. It has never been properly updated to function as a multithreaded event driven program. That has nothing to do with what language is being used. There are many programs written in C++ which have similar issues because their legacy code has never been properly updated.
So to sum it up, what I am worried about is the fact that I can't get Realband to focus on one track without jumping and scrolling like crazy. The late 90's was about the time I stopped using them because of the same quirky behavior seen in their prebuilt components.

Please clarify:

You stopped using RealBand in the late 90's ?

Or as a programmer, you don't actually know how to tailor/override native event handlers to handle mouse scroll events?

Or, you couldn't get something to work in the late 90's, (like 18+ years ago), and you believe that there's been no changes or new releases in the product since, so it's still unusable? I.e. the features available then are the same features now?

I guess one of the above must be correct.

I'm just a little interested to know.

Could it be that maybe you didn't know how to use it back then, so got frustrated and just gave up? Just a thought.
Yeah, it was a little confusing, but obviously I was referring to the toolkits(Borland back then). Seems like I did check out BB in the early days, but don't remember really using it. You were able to deduce that much from it, and VT was right about the frustration part.

I don't care how "popular" FL Studio is, it's not in my studio. I'm afraid we are back to square one, so spare me the excuses about it not being multi-threaded.

Why isn't it not updated then? How many more excuses are you going to dream up? Java is still slow, and yet you still see people praising it.

You can forget about trying to play me stupid, because while the rest of the world has moved on to 64 bits and hyper-threading, you just trying to drag me back to the stone ages with you.

It's a no-brainer, if you running old technology, then chances are very high that you'll have problems with newer technology. You want me to believe in magic, and I do believe in the work that has been done with BB & RB, but as time marches on so do the Windows updates.

This has already been discussed numerous times on this message board. You already know the deal. Enough with the excuses already, why some of you keep claiming they don't need to update the code is beyond me.

The program has been feature complete years ago, but go on and keep dreaming up more features to cram into 32 bits, all while telling me everything is going to be fine. Yes they worked the heck out of them 32 bits, but my goodness where does it end?

Again, absolutely awesome work, so I'm not complaining. PG Music has been doing and is doing a wonderful job. Just don't act like there aren't skeletons lurking in it.

What am I suppose be all giddy because they keep adding new features, yet I can only apply four beats per measure, unless I work around "cells." I'm a musician, not an accountant using a spreadsheet.

I could go on, but I'd rather not do it here, because I don't want people to get the wrong idea.

I got this quote from a Java source, but it still applies here.
"If your language allows to draw piexel on screen then it is 100% possible to create a gui framework based on it which will mimic Windows form controls looks & feel precisely"

Keyword highlighted. We shouldn't have this conversation here, and I'll leave it at that. Have a good day!
Posted By: A_R Re: BiaB 2018 won't load UVIworkStation Plug-in - 12/16/17 12:26 PM
Yeah, it was a little confusing, but obviously I was referring to the toolkits(Borland back then). Seems like I did check out BB in the early days, but don't remember really using it. You were able to deduce that much from it, and VT was right about the frustration part.

I don't care how "popular" FL Studio is, it's not in my studio. I'm afraid we are back to square one, so spare me the excuses about it not being multi-threaded.

Why isn't it not updated then? How many more excuses are you going to dream up? Java is still slow, and yet you still see people praising it.

You can forget about trying to play me stupid, because while the rest of the world has moved on to 64 bits and hyper-threading, you just trying to drag me back to the stone ages with you.

It's a no-brainer, if you running old technology, then chances are very high that you'll have problems with newer technology. You want me to believe in magic, and I do believe in the work that has been done with BB & RB, but as time marches on so do the Windows updates.

This has already been discussed numerous times on this message board. You already know the deal. Enough with the excuses already, why some of you keep claiming they don't need to update the code is beyond me.

The program has been feature complete years ago, but go on and keep dreaming up more features to cram into 32 bits, all while telling me everything is going to be fine. Yes they worked the heck out of them 32 bits, but my goodness where does it end?

Again, absolutely awesome work, so I'm not complaining. PG Music has been doing and is doing a wonderful job. Just don't act like there aren't skeletons lurking in it.

What am I suppose be all giddy because they keep adding new features, yet I can only apply four beats per measure, unless I work around "cells." I'm a musician, not an accountant using a spreadsheet.

I could go on, but I'd rather not do it here, because I don't want people to get the wrong idea.

I got this quote from a Java source, but it still applies here.
"If your language allows to draw piexel on screen then it is 100% possible to create a gui framework based on it which will mimic Windows form controls looks & feel precisely"

Keyword highlighted. We shouldn't have this conversation here, and I'll leave it at that. Have a good day!
You're all over the place and it's safe to say you're not a programmer because very little of what you're saying makes any sense. You're just throwing around a lot of terms and trying to blame a programming language, when in fact the language has absolutely nothing to do with it. BIAB has plenty of issues but switching to a different programming language will solve none of them, it will just create more bugs trying to port it.
After I verify my credentials, then you'll come up with some other excuse. I'm starting to see what this environment is really about ... not so "open" after all. I may have to still try and get a refund.
Posted By: A_R Re: BiaB 2018 won't load UVIworkStation Plug-in - 12/16/17 12:57 PM
What excuse have I come up with? I'm just stating a single fact, the programming language used has absolutely nothing to do with what you've been talking about since your very first post and no amount of flimflam will change that.
Well, I'm not a programmer, but I think that Coolbreeze made some valid and legitimate observations:

Bugs will always be a part of the process, but how about taking care of existing ones before adding new features that just introduce more bugs? It's called feature creep, and they have a bad case of it, there's no denying that.

Originally Posted By: roslon
and no amount of flimflam will change that.

I will admit I do like your style, persistent with the added flair.

You've probably already established your credentials, so I won't question you. It has everything to do with it!

Now please follow the flimflam man because my name is not Dorothy, and we're not heading down a yellow brick road to home.
We'll need to change threads for this.
© PG Music Forums