PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel DRUM FLOURISH NEEDED FOR SONG ENDING. - 12/05/17 05:45 PM
I have a song completed that ends on a held chord eg C...

It would be perfect to end that bar with a very simple 1/4 bar drum ending or flourish.

It is just a snare triplet plus single kick. I am sure everyone has heard this ending on one song or another. Does anyone know of a link or downloadable sound bite to one or can create one that I can "borrow"?
Ian
Posted By: DrDan Re: DRUM FLOURISH NEEDED FOR SONG ENDING. - 12/05/17 07:27 PM
Interesting request. I'd like to hear what folks come up with for this simple quarter bar flourish - snare triplet plus kick.

I think I know what you are looking for but my thoughts are we need more info:

Where you thinking a .wav\mp3 file?
What tempo?
Straight? or Swing?
I assume dry with little to no FX
Rock, country or jazz kit?
What is the genre of the tune you want to cap off?

I wouldn't mind trying to send a little something.
Posted By: WendyM Re: DRUM FLOURISH NEEDED FOR SONG ENDING. - 12/05/17 08:18 PM
Could you put the drum track in RB and re-gen that bar over and over until it produces one?
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRUM FLOURISH NEEDED FOR SONG ENDING. - 12/06/17 10:50 AM
Hi Wendy - I listened to the wma's of the drum parts and there is nothing there that I could use. Thanks for the idea though.
Hi Dan - Real Drums Nashville Even8^6 are the ones I'm using. 110BPM. Reverb is the one with the RD. Nothing extra. Its a Country Rock / Pop kind of tune. Its an Instro so does really fit a "vocal" genre as such.
This flourish at the end is typical of the kind of Live endings we used to do back in the "old days". You get to the coda and the band ends with a held "Kerrang" arpeggio or simply a held chord for 3/4s of the last bar. The last quarter is the drummer (they always have to have the last word, dont they?!)who does this fast triplet on the snare and single kick. Its almost like a "flam" plus kick but is three snare hits (like a mini-roll) before an immediate bass drum kick thereafter. All in the space of that quarter bar. Sometimes we'd go 1-2-3-4 and 1 with the Outro and the drum flourish would go straight after the 1st beat of that second bar.
I hope all that makes sense.
Ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: DRUM FLOURISH NEEDED FOR SONG ENDING. - 12/06/17 04:58 PM
Ian,

From reading yoru post, I'm not quite sure if you've done this. It sounds like you might have done.

Have listen to the complete drum audio in \bb\Drums for Nashville Even8 (and even other drum tracks). This is the file that RB will slice and splice to create your song's drum track. The fills and flourishes are usually at the end of the parent audio track.

Load the whole audio into RB and, if you find something you like, simply copy it and paste it in your drum track where you want. You may need to adjust the tempo a little from the tempo of the original file.

This is what I do when I need something special and regenerating doesn't seem to give it to me.

Noel

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: DRUM FLOURISH NEEDED FOR SONG ENDING. - 12/06/17 11:17 PM
Sixchannel,

Nashville Even8^6 is one of a set of 8 ways of playing a Nashville RealDrums. The Nashville RealDrums set has four audio files. Each of the four audio files has a different tempo: 080, 110, 140 and 180 BPM. The audio files are in the base Nashville Even directory.

Each of the audio files end with some single hits. The single hits are snare = muted cymbal, tom + muted cymbal, tom + muted cymbal, floor tom + muted cymbal and snare by itself.

You might be able to copy the single hits to individual audio files, temporarily add a few bars, create your specific drum ending with midi, assign the audio files to midi notes, play and record the audio of your midi and paste the audio at the end of your song.
I have this on a few songs but I can't remember which ones.

It's super easy to do. Insert a midi drum synth and simply point and click the notes into a staff or PRV. Find a drum set sample that sounds similar to the one you have in the drum track and you're all set.

I'll look around and see if I can find that song I'm thinking of.

This is an old song.... check the ending. GRACE
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRUM FLOURISH NEEDED FOR SONG ENDING. - 12/08/17 08:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

It's super easy to do. Insert a midi drum synth and simply point and click the notes into a staff or PRV. Find a drum set sample that sounds similar to the one you have in the drum track and you're all set.

Herb - that's the Fella!! Exactly that - a triplet and thud. If I may I'd like to steal that off the end of your song "Grace" and use it.
And BTW - I really enjoyed the song - AND the acronym. How true!!
Regards
Ian
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Herb - that's the Fella!! Exactly that - a triplet and thud. If I may I'd like to steal that off the end of your song "Grace" and use it.
And BTW - I really enjoyed the song - AND the acronym. How true!!
Regards
Ian

I believe that was recorded in my "pre-BB" days and was done with MIDI drums. easy to do.
© PG Music Forums