PG Music Home
Posted By: DeBlu (2018) Monitor audio with VST when recording - 12/06/17 02:47 PM
Hi,
Is there a way on Band in a Box 2018 to monitor audio when recording?
I was hoping this new version had it, but I tried and it still my audio input (guitar) is completely mute until I finish recording. That is very far from what anyone does in studio. Real time monitoring is really important for the feel of what you are recording.

So far I've used RealBand for recording my guitar with effects, but Band in a Box offers some features I would like to take advantage of.
Hi Julius,

Band-in-a-Box doesn't provide any kind of input monitoring for audio, so any monitoring would need to be provided by your audio interface (without VSTs).

If you'd like to have input monitoring with VSTs, you'll have to record in RealBand, using an ASIO driver with Input Monitoring enabled in Audio Preferences, and apply any VST effects to the Input Monitor Insert channel.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
So far that is how I've done it.
Have a FocusRite Scarlett Solo, they have a superb kit and proprietary ASIO driver, but it would be nice to take advantage of all BIAB features.

If it is possible on RealBand, well, It would be a fine addition to Band in a Box...
Several forum members use Focusrite audio interfaces with Band-in-a-Box. Band-in-a-Box can use the ASIO driver. The catch seems to be only one program at a time can use the ASIO driver. Some programs do not automatically release the ASIO driver during closing so Band-in-a-Box will produce an error message because the ASIO driver is not available.

So, for instance, both Band-in-a-Box and RealBand can not be open at the same time and "share" the ASIO driver. ASIO is just not designed that way. Steinberg updated ASIO specifications, and even released updated ASIO drivers for their products, to allow programs to share an ASIO driver but most companies have not followed Steinberg's example.

Some forum members use the ASIO driver for recording and MME for playback or now have started using the WAS (I'm used to seeing the term as WASAPI) driver.
© PG Music Forums