PG Music Home
A question regarding rendering to WAV, please.

Here's my setup:
• Windows 7 PRO SP1 64 bit
• Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Version 2016 (438)
• VST/DXI synth = Cakewalk TTS-1
• RealBand and Tracks (intentionally) disabled

Here's the work flow leading to the unexpected audio track creation:
• Create new SGU song / Style = -34SWSUS.STY
• Import melody from MIDI file, set song length, add chords, a repeat, etc.
• Direct-Render to 1 stereo WAV file, no audio merging
• Rename WAV output from Song_Render.WAV to Song.WAV
• Created MP3 (via lame64) called Song.mp3

This morning I open the MGU file, play the song in BIAB, and there are ugly audio artifacts present that I didn't (intend to) create. Process of elimination revealed the artifacts were present in a new unexpected audio track. Killing the track and saving the file removed the artifacts. Searching through HELP didn't reveal any info on this track's creation.

I'd like to know if the unexpected and undesired audio track is always - or selectively - created by rendering an MGU song to WAV file.

Thanks for any insight,
♪♫ Ken ♪♫
I believe what you describe is actually a "feature". Rendered files are saved to the same directory with the same name as the song file. That is what you have apparently discovered. This is a means to have more tracks and more instruments playing via the wav file along with you BIAB file. If you don't want that be sure to render to a different location. That should fix it.

Bottom line: if BIAB sees a wave file of the same name as the BIAB file in the same directory it will play both.
Hi

I think you will find that is why it tried to call it song rendered wave,
That way it would not have had the same name .
But because you knocked off the word rendered it then finished up with the same mane as the song file.
As said if a wav exist with the same name as the song file it will load into an audio track when you reload the song.so that you can use it.
So don’t save your rendered wave with exactly the same name just add an RW or similar to the end if you don’t lke the word rendered.

Mike
Hi Dan, thanks for your input. I discovered further (BIAB 2016) info on this topic. There are (at least) two types of 'rendering' to WAV.

1. BIAB > Menu > Audio > Render to Stereo .WAV file etc...
a. Render to Audio File (dialog) pops up
b. many options are available
c. song is rendered to Song_Rendered.WAV upon clicking
[DXi - Direct Render (save WAV file)]

2. BIAB > Menu > Audio > Render Song to Audio Track (and mute tracks)...
a. no dialog pops up
b. song is immediately rendered to TEMPMAIN.WAV (TEMPMAIN.bt1 also created)
c. lower right 'yellow' message appears alerting to new file location
d. IF Song.MGU is saved in BIAB,
TEMPMAIN.* files are renamed to Song.*,
ELSE the TEMPMAIN.* files are removed

I'd basically given up hope of finding any BIAB documentation (F1, online, etc.) describing the WAV filename subtleties. Then, just before posting this, my mouse hovered over Dialog 1a's [Choose] button, where bubble popup said:

Choose the name for the rendered wave file (*.WAV).
NOTE: The file must reside in the same folder as the
current BB song file. Also, don't give it the same name
as your BB song, since this may conflict with the audio
track wave file.

smile
This program has lots of hidden pitfalls and at the same time hidden gems.

For those who really want to explore, it is best to develop a good relationship with the forum members who can help keep you on the right path. Otherwise, at times you may find yourself a bit lost. grin

In *most* cases I'd rather figure it out myself, but y'know, sometimes there just *isn't* enough time! Thanks again for your input.

As a (biz) software developer who gets annoyed when expectations are not met, and worse, when "features" aren't documented, there are plenty of chances for annoyment (is that a word?) with Band-In-A-Box. <sigh>

However, given the choice between:
(1) more features and less documentation and
(2) less features that are well documented
I'll choose #1, thank you. That is why I just ordered BIAB 2018.

smile
Originally Posted By: Ken Lundberg

However, given the choice between:
(1) more features and less documentation and
(2) less features that are well documented
I'll choose #1, thank you. That is why I just ordered BIAB 2018.

smile

With that attitude your are going to fit in here real well! Welcome to the forum. grin
© PG Music Forums