PG Music Home
Hi folks. Yesterday I downloaded my 2018Plus and all the extra and video packs available and, fingers crossed, all seems to be working OK - EXCEPT -
If I'm using the new default WAS instead of MME I get a lot of faint "pop" and "click" noises in the tracks. This "noise" disappears if I go into midi prefs and re-select MME.
Anyone else get this please and is there an underlying reason?
Cheers
ian
Yeah, I'm also having way too many problems with my Lambda Interface and WAS. It works better on MME, except it will occasionally slow down and sputter. I'm pretty sure that has something to do with some plugins that I'm trying.

I'm expecting a v-studio interface, and I'm hoping that will work better if at all in BIAB.
Pops and clicks could be from a sample rate mismatch. Double click on the little speaker icon (Windows volume control) in the lower right corner. Go into Playback, Properties. Make sure it is set at 16 bit, 44.1 Also choose these settings for any other audio device you have.

Note: I’m not at a computer to give you exact instructions but look around and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Pops and clicks could be from a sample rate mismatch. Double click on the little speaker icon (Windows volume control) in the lower right corner. Go into Playback, Properties. Make sure it is set at 16 bit, 44.1 Also choose these settings for any other audio device you have.

Note: I’m not at a computer to give you exact instructions but look around and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Hi Matt. I did check the Record and Playback setting in Win7 - both are 2 channel 16 bit 44100.
Ian
Let’s get more info.

What’s your sound card/sound moduke?

Are you on XP or 7?
Let’s gwt more info.

What’s your sound card/sound moduke?

Are you on XP or 7?

Matt, I'm on Win7 with 2018. Soundcard is Creative Audigy, if it matters. Its rock solid with all my other software and if I use MME in my 2018 the midi background noise problem goes away.
Cheers
Ian
The Audigy line, at least until 2002 when I stopped using it, used to be set at 48K instead of 44.1. The new WAS drivers might have a problem with that.
The Audigy line, at least until 2002 when I stopped using it, used to be set at 48K instead of 44.1. The new WAS drivers might have a problem with that.

Interesting. Even though I have two separate drives, one way more modern than the other, I have always had the Audigy soundcard set at 44100 and until now had worked very well in that regard.
The advent of WAS in 2018 clearly requires a change to 48000 and I have done this and, magically, the background clicks etc have disappeared and it plays very cleanly.
As an aside I have also noticed that now when the SGU is playing the Sound I hear and the volume meters seem to run more "in sync". It seemed to me that there was always some lag between what I was hearing and what I was seeing. I don't think that that is the case any more.
Sometime in the future, when I have some time available, I shall be downloading my 2018 portfolio into the XP drive as well. It will be interesting to see / hear if it is still the case when running XP and 2018.
Thank you, Matt
Ian
And thank you for the feedback.

I experienced a timing problem with the WAS driver but didn't research the cause.

So if I understand your post correctly, then for at least some sound cards, if using the WAS driver in BIAB, try the 48K setting.
© PG Music Forums