PG Music Home
Posted By: Cerio Wizard playalong feature not working [SOLVED] - 12/11/17 10:03 AM
Hi, I'm trying to use this feature (PLAY -> Wizard playalong feature) with my MIDI controller (which is correctly configured, see screenshot), but it's not working when playing my MIDI keyboard. The Help file says:

"The Wizard is an intelligent play along feature that is controlled with the bottom two rows of your computer’s QWERTY keyboard or your connected MIDI keyboard. The bottom row of keys plays chord tones; the second row plays passing tones. You play any key in either row and never make a mistake! The Wizard keys are active during playback."

But when playing over any song with the MIDI keyboard, it doesn't matter if the "Wizard playalong feature" is activated or not, I just play the chromatic scale and the feature has no effect at all.

Using the computer keyboard, the feature works properly.

Am I doing something wrong?

Attached picture Audio MIDI.png
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Wizard playalong feature not working - 12/11/17 10:39 AM
I always thought the Wizard Keyboard feature was for a computer keyboard only. I’m not sure it makes sense on a MIDI keyboard. Perhaps the documentation is what’s wrong.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Wizard playalong feature not working - 12/11/17 12:12 PM
Hi

Like Mat I don’t think the wizard is meant for playing a midi keyboard.

If you want to play along with any style or song use the thru track /ch in the mixer and chose your play thru voice there .
Your notes will be sent to you selected midi device or if chosen in your settings your dxi .vst . synth

The play thru uses channel 5, if you decided to record this it will Autmaticaly record on the Melody track . as you play.
However the melody track uses channel 4 so if you want to hear the same voice on playback make sure that your thru patch and your melody patch are the same.
Hope this helps more than confuse
Mike
Posted By: Cerio Re: Wizard playalong feature not working - 12/11/17 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I always thought the Wizard Keyboard feature was for a computer keyboard only. I’m not sure it makes sense on a MIDI keyboard. Perhaps the documentation is what’s wrong.

Thanks for your answer. I think it makes more sense on a MIDI keyboard than on the computer keyboard.

For example, let's say you are composing a song in BIAB but you don't play piano. You need an specific rhythmic pattern for the piano and you have a MIDI keyboard. You could then connect your MIDI keyboard to BIAB, activate the Wizard playalong, and record your piano track on your MIDI keyboard, focused on the rhythm without worrying about playing the right notes.

Of course, you could do the same with the computer keyboard, but using a proper MIDI controller is much better, even if you don't play piano.

Any other ideas?

Posted By: Cerio Re: Wizard playalong feature not working - 12/11/17 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi

Like Mat I don’t think the wizard is meant for playing a midi keyboard.

Thanks Mike, as I said, this is what the Help file (v. 2018) says about that:

"The Wizard is an intelligent play along feature that is controlled with the bottom two rows of your computer’s QWERTY keyboard or your connected MIDI keyboard. The bottom row of keys plays chord tones; the second row plays passing tones. You play any key in either row and never make a mistake! The Wizard keys are active during playback."

It would be nice if someone from PG music could clarify this.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Wizard playalong feature not working - 12/11/17 01:54 PM
OK, I see your point, but here is what I recall this QWERTY Wizard function was for when it was introduced many years ago. There were two main purposes:

One was to be able to noodle around and play along with the song, and there would be no 'wrong' notes. It was really just for fun.

Another more serious idea was to enter difficult rhythms. You could record rhythms without caring about the pitches. Then you could go back and drag the pitch of each note up or down as appropriate. There are still times when I use it to do this on my computer keyboard, and the timing is surprisingly accurate (more so than my bad playing).

---------------------------------

I just re-read the Help. In the BIAB Help, Index under Wizard, several steps are described. First, it talks about using the computer QWERTY keyboard. Then it mentions a MIDI keyboard but says there is a separate step to activate the MIDI keyboard to act as the QWERTY would (and not just be a 'regular' MIDI keyboard) with C, E, G and Bb being notes in the chord, and D,F and A being passing tones. There are checkboxes for MIDI Keyboard Wizard Enabled, and Use Wizard for Thru Part. Did you do that?
Posted By: Cerio Re: Wizard playalong feature not working - 12/11/17 02:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

I just re-read the Help. In the BIAB Help, Index under Wizard, several steps are described. First, it talks about using the computer QWERTY keyboard. Then it mentions a MIDI keyboard but says there is a separate step to activate the MIDI keyboard to act as the QWERTY would (and not just be a 'regular' MIDI keyboard) with C, E, G and Bb being notes in the chord, and D,F and A being passing tones. There are checkboxes for MIDI Keyboard Wizard Enabled, and Use Wizard for Thru Part. Did you do that?

Problem solved! I just didn't see it on the help file. Thank you very much!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Wizard playalong feature not working - 12/11/17 02:22 PM
Very good!
© PG Music Forums