PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 02:40 PM
I have installed my new 2018 on the usual XP drive without any drama.
However, my first test shows that the newly feted WAS driver to be used in preference to MME and ASIO, IS NOT available when running BB in XP. It does not appear in the drop down menu at any rate. Update 505 installed.
NOTE - it IS there if running the BB in Windows 7.
Could other XP Users please check and advise.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 03:08 PM
My understanding is that WASAPI is available for Window 7, 10 and Windows Vista, but I didn't think for XP.

Somebody else will be able to confirm more accurately.
Posted By: jford Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 03:37 PM
And I suspect it won't be, as Windows XP is a non-supported operating system now. Microsoft doesn't release new capabilities for end-of-life OS's.

Windows 7's time is coming in 2020.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: jford

Windows 7's time is coming in 2020.

Oh Noooooooooo! frown
Posted By: sixchannel Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 03:53 PM
Thank you. I wondered if that was the case. I wonder what Windows version we'll be forced in to buying then.
Ian
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 04:14 PM
be careful

if you buy a new COTS (commercial off the shelf) it will probably (~95%) come with Win 10 you'd have to look to find a new machine with Win 7 pre-installed and it will not have a new generation Kaby Lake Intel processor

If you build your OWN PC and the motherboard only supports with a Kaby Lake Processor according to MS Win 7 will not install.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake (list of Intel Kaby Lake processors)

so you will be forced into Win 10

http://www.zdnet.com/article/you-have-one-month-left-to-buy-a-windows-7-pc/

I will suggest when going to WIN 10 spend the few extra bucks and upgrade or get Win 10 Pro NOT HOME! - you WILL and CAN have a lot more control over forced updates.

Larry
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 05:31 PM
XP does not support the WAS (WASAPI) audio driver.
Posted By: rayc Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 05:38 PM
This is the key issue for me. I run my DAW and all music soft/hardware in a very safe, stable & offline XP unit.
XP is a perfect OS/environment for music recording/making. I don't want to lose trusted VSTs/plugins with a move to the still murky, less boyant waters of Vista, 7 or 10.
Looks like I'll be staying in the past.
Posted By: jford Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 06:19 PM
Quote:
This is the key issue for me. I run my DAW and all music soft/hardware in a very safe, stable & offline XP unit.
XP is a perfect OS/environment for music recording/making. I don't want to lose trusted VSTs/plugins with a move to the still murky, less boyant waters of Vista, 7 or 10.

You don't have to use the WASAPI driver. You can still use MME and ASIO and BIAB 2018 will run just fine on your XP workstation. And this isn't a PGMusic issue; it's a Microsoft issue.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 06:20 PM
hi Ray

Originally Posted By: rayc

Yes sir indeed I have managed to get most of my pre owned music software running in Windows 7 (any that I still need anyway.)
But the thought of risking W10 is out of the question .
I had to go to all sorts of lengths to stop them pushing me into that one , even so they downloaded gb of data to my pc , that I had to clear out.

I now have a stable build that runs fine .
All the time Biab runs on W7 I will continue to upgrade it each year, and still be able to use Sona. (another story)

When Microsoft stop support for W7 I will take the machine of the internet.
I will still be able to download BIAB upgrades on another machine and transfer to this one as long as PG support W7 users, going on the fact they still support vista and xp I don’t think I have any fear there.

Just my thoughts ,I will not be dragged by the nose into anything I don’t want to do By Microsoft

Mike
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Quote:

You don't have to use the WASAPI driver. You can still use MME and ASIO and BIAB 2018 will run just fine on your XP workstation. And this isn't a PGMusic issue; it's a Microsoft issue.

To verify what John just said

I have already run RUN 2018 on both a WIN XP desktop (one of my triple boot HDDs) and REALLY OLD (2004) Dell XPS 4GB workhorse laptop to make sure BIAB and RB works there- they do!

However, in last few years my real work-space has been Win 7 or Win 10 desktops. Win XP is kept due to non-music/non-DAW legacy SW and HW, and the fact that the 'ol 2004 laptop still runs just fine (I've even changed the BIOS battery)

Larry
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 08:58 PM
Also agreeing with John and Larry. No one should have said that the WAS(API) driver "was to be used in preference" to ASIO. If you have an ASIO driver that works, and this is highly vendor dependent, it should be preferable to WAS.
Posted By: rayc Re: No WAS for XP Users? - 12/11/17 11:05 PM
I've had complete clarification thanks folk. I can run 18 on my XPSP3 so long as the RAM & HDD space meet specs. Thank you one & all.
I'll now contemplate the matter.
© PG Music Forums