PG Music Home
Posted By: bowlesj how to end a style on beat 1 with a fadeout - 12/18/17 07:05 AM
Hi, I am trying to use BIAB live. I am wondering if there is a way to force a style to end on beat 1 of the last bar and just fade out that last note or chord over 2 bars or even just one bar such that the live players could embellish their own way off the last chord. So far I have only been able to mute at that point. Muting at exactly beat 2 might be okay since the musicians could hide it.

If it can't be done then I think this kind of feature (or research for improvements) would have value.

Thanks,
John
John,

Have you tried using X... for the first chord in "End" region (where X is the last chord of the song)?

In BIAB 2018, this does the job for me.

Below is the SGU I created to test it. Have look at the D chord in bar 33.

link to SGU example

If this is the effect that you are after, have a look in Help under 'Shots, Holds, Rests'. The shortcut key for these is ALT+F5.

Regards,
Noel

Hi Noel, thanks for responding.

Your ending does exactly what I want. However I don't really understand how the D chord in bar 33 is any different other than it is pink. How do you make it pink and what does pink mean? How do you get it to fade like that? Do I have to stop doing what I do?

What I have been doing that is probably wrong is I click the check boxes that say to include a 2 bar ending or a 4 bar ending. I have a single chord in that ending normally but not always. I also often cause the song to end 2 bars early and jump to that ending (that is fine and often necessary to avoid the chords that are meant for going back to the beginning). Unfortunately each style creates its own ending notes which often last for 2 or 4 bars with all sorts of complex stuff that new people to the jam don't know (it interrupts the type of ending they want to put in and may annoy them to the point where they don't want to jam with BIAB not to mention annoying the audience).

John
John,

The D chord is entered with three periods after it. This instructs BIAB to play the chord and hold the instruments.

Have a look under "Shots, Rests, Holds" in the Help file.

One, two or three periods after a chord symbol instruct BIAB to play the chord differently.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I've also added a little more information to my previous post above.
Thanks so much Noel. You saved me :-) I have an unexpected jam tomorrow because a lady from Australia is in town and wanted to jam with our Jam group (I live close to Toronto Canada). I was not going to get around to researching this issue until February some time and she caught me off guard since she has to leave on the 27th. What is interesting is you are also from Australia. How spooky is that :-) Good things come from down under I guess :-)

I was concerned about this jam. I will try it very soon and let you know how it worked out.
I tried it. It works. And I thought there was no solution all this time...lol. It took a bit of pressure to get me off my butt and finally ask if one existed. I will set aside some time to read that section of the manual and hopefully get time to skim key features and dig deeper into BIAB. Thanks again Noel.
My pleasure, John. Glad you're up and running. All the best with the jam session!

Noel
© PG Music Forums