PG Music Home
This is typical of the issue I have.

I have an SGU running with 1173 Accordion in it although it does not matter which RT - the problem exists generally. As set up by me using right click on the Mixer, it is set on "Held" notes/chords. This is fine for bars 1 - 9 but at Bar 10 I want to remove that "Held" and let it do its thing.
However, if I use F5, it does NOT put you back to the same page, merely gives you its "memo" so nothing can actually be amended. You are stuck with it in "Held" mode.

The Workround has been to use another track, also for 1173, and leave that as is, muted with F5 for Bars 1 - 9 and then letting it run from Bar 10. F5 is also used to MUTE the original 1173 AFTER Bar 9.
Its cumbersome, takes up a valuable track space - and its quite possible I'm missing something.

NOTE - this does NOT apply to Real Drums where using the F5 key you get the full menu so can change parameters within that RD simply by using it. SO - why not with RTs?
Ian
Your situation is a perfect example to utilize the feature BIAB offers to have multiple instruments share the same track. You can change what an instrument does or change to another instrument altogether on the same track and not have to decrease your track count. Doing your instrument change this way also normally results in s smooth transition between the changes.

Each track can have up to 10 instruments occupy the track. Several Medley styles can be found that PGMusic has developed to demonstrate various ways that are useful in a song. The Medley styles change instruments every 4 bars or 8 bars and some change instruments by part marker.

The good news for you is you can interchange instruments manually when and where you decide. Silence is even included as a choice.

I have found the medley option on the drums track to be a bit tricky and of course audio is not included, as far as BIAB track generation is concerned but all the others, bass,piano,guitar, strings, melody and soloist are there for use.

There are other discussions about this feature that go more in depth you may want to read. But this feature gives you the opportunity to have 50-60 or more instrument changes throughout a normal BIAB song project.

Look for threads titled "How many tracks..."; "Tricks of the trade"; "(Solved) Move Audio..." in the Recording Forum and for "Multitracks" in the Beginners Forum for a more in depth discussion and illustrations of this feature.
Ian,

Have you tried using the "Rests, Shots, Holds" option for setting the chords for 1-9? That might do what you want.

In the below example, I loaded in the demo for _POPCALY.STY. Since the #1173 (Accordion) is on the Piano track (I've used static names for the tracks), then I simply use "..." to hold the chord and exclude all other tracks (bdgs = bass, drums, guitar, strings) from the hold. These settings can also be set using ALT+F5.

• In my example, bars 1-8 have the accordion held while other tracks play normally and from bar 9 on, all tracks play normally.

here's a link the example SGU file

Below is an image of what my chordsheet looks like.

Attached picture sixchannel - setting held and exclusions.jpg
Hi Charlie and Noel

I'm going to look more into Charlie's info about Medley. Thank you for the info.

Noel, thats exactly the Style I am using.
Thanks for the example. I use the Shots / Rests / Holds etc quite a lot in other things but that is not what is needed in this case. The 1173 Accordion RT has options for "Bluesy" and "Held". The HOLD in this case isnt holding as in Silence, its actually meant for playing whole chords only and not doing its normal thing of "extemporising". Thats not available via S/R/H.

However, the fact remains as far as I can tell- that F5 does NOT allow changes to the either the specific RT already selected in that slot OR to any new RT assigned to it, other than its basic set-up. Any RI options - Bluesys / Simpler / Direct Input / Held are NOT available via F5.

So, when I have the Accordion giving me lovely held chords for Bars 1 - 8 and now want to change its Feel (sub-style) at Bar 9 by deleting the Tick in "Held" so that it now plays in its normal fashion and plays infills and all sorts of goodies, I cannot do that other than add it again to (say) the Melody track and F5 "mute" 1 - 8 and F5 "return to normal" Bars 9 onwards. I hope that you follow that.

Do you think this is one for the WishList or the Support guys - maybe they have never thought about it. Its seems odd that all this IS available for Real Drums via F5 (changing sub-styles etc etc) but NOT for the Real Tracks.
Ian
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
The HOLD in this case isnt holding as in Silence, its actually meant for playing whole chords only and not doing its normal thing of "extemporising". Thats not available via S/R/H.

Ian,

It works for me.

When I created the example SGU in my previous post and regenerated it, the holds did exactly what you describe. They play a single whole-note chord for the bar. I solo'd the accordion to make sure that it was consistent throughout the section.

Then when the chords moved to regular chords, additional melodic movement occurred in the accordion.

I'm surprised that this doesn't work on your system like this. Maybe it's because of settings that you have added to the accordion track in Realtrack Picker or using F5. (I have no settings selected.)

Regards,
Noel
<<< I have the Accordion giving me lovely held chords for Bars 1 - 8 and now want to change its Feel (sub-style) at Bar 9 by deleting the Tick in "Held" so that it now plays in its normal fashion and plays infills and all sorts of goodies >>>

sixchannel, rather than select 'hold' option in the stylepicker, input the 1173 Accordion chart for Bars 1-8 the same as Noel96 has on his sgu file.

The chord followed by the three dots while leaving the accordion (on the static Piano Track) out of the chord entry causes the 1173 Accordion to play the chord once and hold, repeat on bars 2-8 and when the holds are released on Bar 9, The 1173 plays normally.

IE: Input D...bdgs ; and not D...pbdgs Omitting the P plays that bar's chord as{ -D -Accordion Hold}while the other tracks play normally and are excluded from the hold.

If I select the 1173 and check the hold option int the RealTrack Picker, the Accordion continues to hold at Bar 9 forward just as you say occurs with your chart. Bar 9 releases the hold in Noel96's sgu chart.
Thanks Noel and Charlie - I finally got the result I was after. It does actually work just like you said. I did go back to the original RT main page for 1173 and uncheck the "Held" first though. Dont know IF it would have made a difference but now I can press on with the rest of the tune.
Grateful thanks and Merry Christmas
Ian
© PG Music Forums