PG Music Home
Posted By: 16inchviola BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/22/17 01:21 AM
I installed BIAB 2018 on my Dell computer running windows 10 and have some issues. When I start BIAB I get a popup window at the bottom right that says "Windows Audio Session Error: Could not select the default input device. The error number is -9985". Never saw this with BIAB 2017. When I load an existing song that worked on 2017 when I play it there is a delay in the display changing chords and they are not in sync with the audio. On a fast song it is about 2 beats delayed and on a slow waltz it is about 1 beat late.

Another more serious problem is after I install the program I can run it and close it and start it up again without any problem but if I shut the computer down and start it up again then I can't run BIAB again without re-installing it. I get an error that says "bbw.exe - Bad Image, ****.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error", *** is the full file path and it repeats this error for 3 different .dlls I have re-installed the program and installed the updates 3 times with the same result each time.

Anyone else run into these problems?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/22/17 01:27 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. The first error was seen in early versions of BIAB 2018 but was fixed with a patch. Go to the grey Support tab above and download and install the latest build. If you’ve done that, go to Options, Preferences, Audio and change From WAS driver to MME or, if you have it, ASIO.

About the second problem, try locating BBW.EXE in the /BB folder, right click and select Run as Administrator. If that doesn’t work, turn off your antivirus program during the install.

If these do not resolve your problems please call PG Music Support. They are really excellent and will get you running.
Posted By: 16inchviola Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/22/17 01:42 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Matt, I tried your suggestion to run as an administrator and it didn't work. The other suggestions will take some time.

Thanks

Jack
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/22/17 01:43 AM
Good luck!
Posted By: 16inchviola Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/22/17 02:19 AM
I turned off my antivirus and reinstalled BIAB and everything seems to be working fine. Thank you so much for your help.

Jack
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/22/17 10:55 AM
Excellent! Have fun now.
Posted By: 16inchviola Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/23/17 12:46 AM
Well, I thought it was fixed until I started BIAB today and it wouldn't start again. Same error messages as before so I turned off my antivirus and re-installed BIAB again and installed all the update patches and I am back where I started with the sound not being matched with the chord changes in the display.
With the time difference for customer support it hasn't worked out that I can call support for their help. I tried the chat support and they just told me to call customer support.

Such is life.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/23/17 01:25 AM
BIAB defaults to using a WAS driver in Options, Preferences, Audio. Try MME or ASIO.
Posted By: 16inchviola Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/23/17 03:27 PM
Changing to MME seems to fix the timing problem but I am still stuck with the not loading problem.
Thanks
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/23/17 03:29 PM
Some progress is good. Would you please restate what is wrong with "not loading" now? I don't want to misunderstand from the original two problems.
Posted By: musiclover Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/23/17 04:34 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums,

Maybe you need to create an exclusion in your antivirus software as I have to do (Avast)as it does not like biab updates or Realband at all.

Just go into antivirus settings and see if that helps.

hope you get it sorted.
Posted By: 16inchviola Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/23/17 10:24 PM
Another more serious problem is after I install the program I can run it and close it and start it up again without any problem but if I shut the computer down and start it up again then I can't run BIAB again without re-installing it. I get an error that says "bbw.exe - Bad Image, ****.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error", *** is the full file path and it repeats this error for 3 different .dlls I have re-installed the program and installed the updates 3 times with the same result each time.
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/23/17 11:19 PM
I'm not all that familiar with Dell, but I do use Avast and Malwarebytes, and I've never had to do anything extra to exclude them.

As an extra precaution I do put Avast into silent mode when I install. It sounds to me like it might be a 3rd party anti-virus, or an app that Dell has that is preventing the install. I thought I saw another user have a problem with the updates being flagged by their anti-virus, which AV protection do you use?
Posted By: 16inchviola Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/23/17 11:22 PM
Thanks, I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/23/17 11:51 PM
I was just thinking that. You are correct, disabling the antivirus should be tried.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/24/17 02:26 AM
I get this error message when I open BIAB. It doesn't affect what I use BIAB for. Wonder why that message appears though.

Attached picture Win audio session error.png
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/24/17 03:04 AM
The message tells you exactly what it is Ray. If you're not doing any recording it won't affect you.

Bob
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/24/17 03:22 AM
Wow, this is a weird one. I have no idea what's going one but as you can see from the responses, this is strictly unique to your system. Don't you feel special?

As for Avast, we were all getting the "This file may contain something bad" message from Avast during testing because Biab 2018 was new to them. After a few days it stopped. Hackers are literally running wild all over the world, it's a huge problem and we all just have to live with it but that's separate from your bad .dll messages.

Rather than continually reinstalling Biab (you know the definition of insanity I'm sure) I would be inclined to contact Dell and reinstall Win 10 because I suspect that's where the problem is. Either the Windows install is messed up or you've changed something in your registry or installed something that is messing with your system.

Pretty much everybody on this forum simply installed 2018 including me and it works perfectly. You can see my system specs in my sig. It would help if you posted your system details as well. My computer is a stock out of the box Win 10 system. No tweaks. Everything was installed using the defaults. It came with Win 7 and I did the free update to Win 10 with zero issues.

Have you done anything unusual with your system since you got it including installing specialized software that might be out of the ordinary? By ordinary I mean everybody installs Adobe Reader, MS Office or Open Office and stuff like that. Musicians like to install free cool sounding but unknown software from dubious sources.

Bob
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/24/17 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: 16inchviola

We encountered a similar problem a few months ago, where McAfee (on certain computers) was deleting .dll's, without any notification. It would leave a 0 byte dll file in the Band-in-a-Box folder that was not a valid dll, so the program would give errors like this. I think you can exclude the Band-in-a-Box folder in the Mcafee settings (if that's indeed what your issue is), but you likely need to reinstall Band-in-a-Box (just the main program file) to get the files back.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/24/17 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: raymb1
I get this error message when I open BIAB. It doesn't affect what I use BIAB for. Wonder why that message appears though.
Ray, check and see if your audio setting has changed to WAS.
Posted By: 16inchviola Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/26/17 07:57 PM
I am running . I tried finding a way to create an exception for BIAB but could not find any setting that would let me do that. Can you tell me how to do it in McAfee?

I can't re-install windows 10 easily, or get support from Dell or install updates to windows 10 without packing up my complete computer and finding a friend that will let me use their high speed internet for hours to update it. Windows 10 will not let me update anything using my Verizon WIFI hot spot. Have to have high speed cable connection to do that and where I live I can't get high speed internet (or Cable TV, or Natural Gas).
If I had known that before I bought the computer I wouldn't have bought it. Windows is the only program I have run across that I can't download or update with my hot spot. I don't have anything running on my computer other than what came with it except OpenOffice and BIAB.

I also installed 2018 on my old Windows 7 computer and it did the same thing, also have McAfee antivirus on that one. I went back and re-installed 2017 and it works fine.

Thanks for everyone for their suggestions.
Posted By: 16inchviola Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/26/17 08:16 PM
Andrew,
You are correct in that the file C:\bb\data\lib\dllelasttiquePro.dll had 0 bytes in it. I copied that file from the BIAB hard drive and BIAB then loaded just fine. I suspect you are right that McAfee is killing it. Now if I can just find out how to stop McAfee from killing it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB 2018 PROBLEMS - 12/26/17 08:22 PM
I just did a Google search for...

"excluding folders from McAfee antivirus software"

... and the list of results can be found at the below link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=excluding+folders+from+McAfee+antivirus+software&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

It seems that it can be done and that it's not too hard to do.

Hope this helps,
Noel

© PG Music Forums