PG Music Home
Posted By: John L BIAB 2016/2017 hangs - 12/29/17 12:01 AM
I had this problem with BB 2016. It had been working fine, all of a sudden it would hang after starting up.
The program shows the splash screen then the main screen. But it does not respond to any mouse clicks or key strokes. I installed 2017 and it has the same behavior. BB 2017 did ask for the reg code. I entered it and it said that it was accepted. But still after that it doesn't respond to keystrokes or the mouse.

I did try BIAB 2015 from the usb drive and it started successfully as well as BIAB 2013.
I am running as administrator.

I am only using the realtek audio on this computer.
Real Band 2016 was working ok but it was hanging if I tried to load a biab file.
Real Band 2017 seems to be hanging at startup.
Sonar 8.5 works.

Any ideas?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB 2016/2017 hangs - 12/29/17 12:16 AM
Are you trying to run Sonar and BiaB at the same time?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB 2016/2017 hangs - 12/29/17 12:24 AM
John,

Firstly, restart the computer just to make sure that the memory is fully cleared.

Have you installed the latest build for each of the versions? Below is a link to the Support website to check. (That's always a good starting place when problem solving.)

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

Also, just in case you haven't done this already (although it sounds like you might have), double-check that 'Run as administrator' is indeed active by starting BIAB by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting 'Run as administrator'.

Lastly, could it be your antivirus software that's causing the problem? To check this, exclude the relevant \bb folder from being checked by your antivirus. Norton and McAfee are known to be unfriendly to work with sometimes.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: John L Re: BIAB 2016/2017 hangs - 12/29/17 12:50 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Are you trying to run Sonar and BiaB at the same time?

No.
Posted By: John L Re: BIAB 2016/2017 hangs - 12/29/17 01:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
John,

Firstly, restart the computer just to make sure that the memory is fully cleared.

Have you installed the latest build for each of the versions? Below is a link to the Support website to check. (That's always a good starting place when problem solving.)

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

Also, just in case you haven't done this already (although it sounds like you might have), double-check that 'Run as administrator' is indeed active by starting BIAB by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting 'Run as administrator'.

Lastly, could it be your antivirus software that's causing the problem? To check this, exclude the relevant \bb folder from being checked by your antivirus. Norton and McAfee are known to be unfriendly to work with sometimes.

Regards,
Noel

I have the BB folder excluded in microsoft security essentials.

I just tried to run build 471 for bb 2017 and had a similar error to when I tried an update for BB 2016.
BBW.exe access denied. Delete file failed. code 5. On my previous attempt for BB2016 I got around this by fiddling with the file permissions.
I am wondering if this is a symptom of the real problem.

Does anyone know if PG made significant changes under the hood between BB 2015 and 2016?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB 2016/2017 hangs - 12/29/17 03:15 AM
John,

When you installed the updated, did you start it up by right-clicking on it and select "Run as administrator"? From my experience, this is necessary.

Also, what is your BIAB installation path?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: John L Re: BIAB 2016/2017 hangs - 12/29/17 01:15 PM
After a few weeks of messing with this, it is finally working.
I tried running the update as administrator, but it still couldn't get past the delete of bbw.exe.
I tried to manually delete it but it said the file was in use. (I have stopped the program through task manager several times, can't figure out where the program was in use) So I restarted the computer.
At that point it let me manually delete bbw.exe. I had a copy of it that I renamed back to bbw.exe.

Then I ran the 2017 update as administrator and it got past the bbw.exe extract and I am up and running (so far so good).

Thanks to everyone on this forum who spend their time trying to help people.
© PG Music Forums