PG Music Home
Posted By: jazzi BIAB 2017 Hard Drive issue with Windows 10 - 01/01/18 12:11 PM
Having recently purchased BIAB 2018, I decided to take the old version (2017) on its dedicated hard drive to use on another computer, which has Windows 10. When I plug it into the USB port, I get an error message saying "Power Surge on the USB Port", and the drive isn't recognized. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 3847, so I checked the Dell support site.
[url= Power Surge on the USB port in Windows 10] http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln301114/power-surge-on-the-usb-port-in-windows-10?lang=en[/url]

They cover the problem, but their solutions (except for the last one of getting a powered USB hub) have been followed and nothing helps. Any advice short of buying the powered hub?

Thanks in advance!

Posted By: rharv Re: BIAB 2017 Hard Drive issue with Windows 10 - 01/01/18 12:19 PM
Have you tried plugging both the red and black cables into the computer?
(if applicable)
"Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply"
To me this means the drive is erring from lack of power. A lot of PG drives have a cable with 2 USB connectors at the computer end.

This is to give the drive additional power when needed, and this may be an application where it is needed.

As for 'newbie'; I see you joined in 08, so I knew better.
smile
Posted By: jazzi Re: BIAB 2017 Hard Drive issue with Windows 10 - 01/01/18 12:20 PM
Yes, I tried that first, and then again after the troubleshooting.

Originally Posted By: rharv
Have you tried plugging both the red and black cables into the computer?
(if applicable)
"Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply"
To me this means the drive is erring from lack of power. A lot of PG drives have a cable with 2 USB connectors at the computer end.

This is to give the drive additional power when needed, and this may be an application where it is needed.
I’ve never seen that error message; perhaps it’s a Dell message rather than Windows? Anyway,

Which USB port did you use? Not all USB ports are equal. The one or two on the back of the desktop case are the best; they are directly connected to the motherboard. USB ports on the top or front are not as good.

In Windows Device Manager, it is possible to drill down and see the power usage of a USB port. If the port is being shared with another device, try another port.

Of course, I’m guessing my suggestions were covered in the things you already tried. If so, then do get a powered hub but plug it into the port on the back of the desktop.
Posted By: jazzi Re: BIAB 2017 Hard Drive issue with Windows 10 - 01/01/18 12:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I’ve never seen that error message; perhaps it’s a Dell message rather than Windows? Anyway,

Which USB port did you use? Not all USB ports are equal. The one or two on the back of the desktop case are the best; they are directly connected to the motherboard. USB ports on the top or front are not as good.

In Windows Device Manager, it is possible to drill down and see the power usage of a USB port. If the port is being shared with another device, try another port.

Yes, pretty sure it is a Dell issue. I'm using front ports, that's a good idea about switching to the back ones connected directly. Will be a bit of a pain, but perhaps the only solution.
Posted By: jazzi Re: BIAB 2017 Hard Drive issue with Windows 10 - 01/01/18 01:16 PM
I tried the back ports, first with only 1 plug, then with 2. Getting random results, sometimes it works, sometimes it will disconnect and give the error. Tried it a different laptop, no problems. Think I will move everything off this drive, just in case.
© PG Music Forums