PG Music Home
I have a Scarlett 2i2 1st gen, have MME set at 488,Scarlett is set in and out, lost asio buffer size control from my task bar, it plays correctly and then stutters near end of songs. This is playing on jukebox, after stutter next song loads and plays fine. I am using Avast and downloaded update, same. I was running 2016 for 18 months with no issues. I have a gig in 5 days !! help. I have removed and reinstalled scarlett, asio4all,focusrite really lost.
Set to MME after calling tech support....I can't remember but I must have had this on ASIO previously..
Firstly....

In Avast! exclude the \bb and \Realband directories.

To do this right-click on the Avast! icon in the taskbar and select "Open user interface" (#1 on image below).

Now follow 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to add \bb and \Realband.

Let us know how you go. This may well solve your problem.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture Avast - exclusions.jpg
Secondly, if the above doesn't help...

Under "Options | Preferences | Realtracks", deselect the option "Fast generation of Realtracks".

Does this help?

Attached picture generation-speed up.JPG
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Firstly....

In Avast! exclude the \bb and \Realband directories.

To do this right-click on the Avast! icon in the taskbar and select "Open user interface" (#1 on image below).

Now follow 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 to add \bb and \Realband.

Let us know how you go. This may well solve your problem.

Regards,
Noel
Did this, saw your next post as I went to disable Fast Generation it went into stutter....
Now playing normally waiting for final verdict, Thanks so far....
The red notes are not showing sometimes on playback (helps me find my place in case of distraction at Gigs...) seems song generation is slower now and I have it on Jukebox, should I freeze tracks ?
Is the song that's stuttering an up tempo one and/or one that has many Realtracks that need generating?
There will never be another you, t150 Bouncy Dixie Swing added Mandolin and Cello...
Next song Jazz Swing Trio t220 loaded quick...no stutter on 3 played
Next song took a bit longer to load...Crooner Big Band with 9 part horns...I need to freeze these ?
Ahh... that's a pretty lively tempo.

When BIAB generates a song with "Speed up generation" enabled, it generates the first half dozen bars or so and then begins playing. Generation of the rest of the song then proceeds as a background process while playing is in progress.

What I suspect is happening with this song is that because of the tempo, by the time you get near the end of the song, you've caught up to where the background regenerating is happening (hence the stuttering - BIAB is trying to play notes that are still being generated). The combined process of generating and playing simultaneously, pushes a computer's CPU to the limit.

When you play a song that has a tempo of 100, I anticipate that stuttering does not occur because BIAB can generate fast enough to keep ahead of the playing.

If my theory is correct, all should proceed well with the "Speed up generation" disabled.

Regards,
Noel

Originally Posted By: 1mansaxband
Next song took a bit longer to load...Crooner Big Band with 9 part horns...I need to freeze these ?

Yes, the more Realtracks you have, the more you're expecting of the computer.

Freezing will help load the songs a little quicker because BIAB has already determined the chord progressions.

The quickest way to load a song would be to render it to audio and then to use a CD/DVD player to play the song. (This is also a very wise backup plan in case BIAB or your computer misbehaves during the performance.)

I am now freezing them....any thoughts on the red notes going missing at times ?
Are you using notation mode?

Yes, the more Realtracks you have, the more you're expecting of the computer.

Freezing will help load the songs a little quicker because BIAB has already determined the chord progressions.

The quickest way to load a song would be to render it to audio and then to use a CD/DVD player to play the song. (This is also a very wise backup plan in case BIAB or your computer misbehaves during the performance.)

If I render it to audio and have it on a CD I also need to print my lead sheets ?
Stutter is back...
What are you computer specs?

Operating system, RAM, CPU speed, etc.

Also... How many RTs are you using on the song that stuttered and what is it's tempo.

Lastly, double-check that the 'Speed up generation' is still disabled.

(Please make notes and I'll read them when I get back in bit. I need to leave the computer for a while now.)
Win 10 home 1.6 ghz 8 gb ram 64 bit
To be continued tomorrow, its 12 midnite here on Jan 2 in Canada.....youre in Australia 7pm Jan 3 ? Thanks for all your help..
Reinstalling my graphics drivers with the latest non-gamer basic version and especially no acceleration active fixed my USB audio problems. F
I 've got it working, Tech support had me switch to MME and that was problem as I use 2i2 Scarlett so going back to ASIO has solved stutter, still have the melody sound behind 4 bars compared to the red notes and RealTracks. I also am trying to find this awesome dialogue box I had for setting the buffer/sample rate. I can't remember where I got it Ableton ? Focusrite ? ASIO4all ?
I 've got it working, Tech support had me switch to MME and that was problem as I use 2i2 Scarlett so going back to ASIO has solved stutter, still have the melody sound behind 4 bars compared to the red notes and RealTracks. I also am trying to find this awesome dialogue box I had for setting the buffer/sample rate. I can't remember where I got it Ableton ? Focusrite ? ASIO4all ?

Asio4all used to be a good one, but most modern sound cards have their own asio drivers. Probably your scarlett has a control panel for buffer size in some sub menu. MME is fine, but on my system it causes a delay of about one second before playback responds. As Noel suggested: try bypassing your virus scanner for the whole BIAB folder, that sometimes solve stutters and delays. But on my system BIAB 2018 definitely renders slower with the same (a complex arrangement) file as 2017. I mailed Kent - PGsupport about that, and i guess he's looking into it. He tested the same file, and has found no problems, but i still do. Biab 2018 takes 15 seconds to render all the audio, while 2017 does the same in 5 seconds, a puzzle .... A melody track usually comes with sounds generated by a softsynth like Coyote, try another one maybe? -F
Yes the Focusrite has a buffer control panel, I get it on drivers menu 1ms to 10ms buffer and it shows fixed latency set at 21.4 to 31.4. This 1 I used to have had setting for kHz 48? ? And latency at 1024, And it showed "no driver connected" when Scarlett was not connected.

I have a email in to Focusrite to see if they know what it was. Maybe this was from ASIO4ALL or Ableton....I will update that...

I am now freezing my tracks and the generation is super fast. Bypassing the Avast seemed to work but it was definitely the MME, switching to ASIO and no problem since....

Cool. Glad you got it working.

I would have mentioned MME but in your first two posts in this thread you already said that you had MME set as your audio driver (unless I misinterpreted something).

For those who read this thread, it's worth mentioning that when problem solving with BIAB, setting the audio driver to MME is always a really good early step in the process.

All the best with your gig!
Noel
I have also found that if my ASIO driver goes wonky on me, just setting it back to MME, and then resetting to ASIO fixes things also.

Greetings everyone and happy new year,

it sounds like I am having almost the same problem, however, unfortunately I'm not very computer savy and I don't seem to be able to find where or how to change to the MME Driver..

I have found the driver options but only see micrsoft midi and Microsoft GS choises.

Can someone point me in the direction of a step by step?

Thank you
Hi Richard,

Welcome to the forums.

The graphic below should help. It's under "Options | Preferences | Audio".

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture mme driver.JPG
Awww ... found it ... thank you .....

giving it a try as we speak .....

fingers crossed ....
That has made a big difference. It is still not 100% however it should get me through this weekends performance ... I hope

Thanks for the help and I may need it again ... smile

Cool. Glad you got it working.

I would have mentioned MME but in your first two posts in this thread you already said that you had MME set as your audio driver (unless I misinterpreted something).

For those who read this thread, it's worth mentioning that when problem solving with BIAB, setting the audio driver to MME is always a really good early step in the process.

All the best with your gig!
Noel
Thanks and Yes I did have it set to MME (Tech support suggested) and it seemed to be working, then that stutter started and when I contacted Tech support about it they sent me back to ASIO.
Thanks. I see I was misinterpreting what you'd written.

It's very unusual that ASIO works where MME does not. I'll have to try and remember that. Enlightening!

All the best,
Noel
Solved-I wasn't re starting my computer after downloading Focusrite driver is now perfect...
Solved-I wasn't re starting my computer after downloading Focusrite driver is now perfect...

Thanks for passing on the added information. It's handy to know.

Over the years I've found that where drivers are concerned, a computer restart is always a good first step toward solving the problem.

Enjoy BIAB/RB 2018!
© PG Music Forums