PG Music Home
Posted By: JasonD Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 08:11 AM
Hi all, first post, been using biab for many years, however, now getting 'deeper' into it.

I want to change a drum part to play half-time in one section of the song. I've chosen the bar to start this --> right click --> bar settings --> left-click on RealDrums under 'Style Changes at This Bar' --> chosen 'Half-Time' beside the Timebase option, then OK and OK.

The drums do play at half-time, however it applys to the entire song - I just want it to apply to that section.

I'm using the latest BiaB 2018, ultra-pak. Thanks for any help in advance!
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 09:42 AM
Hi Jason

Try going to the bar yo wish to get back to normal time and reverse the half time by putting in the previous tempo

jazzman
Posted By: JasonD Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 10:33 AM
Hi Jazzman, thanks for your reply. When I reset the beginning of the song to normal time, it also resets the half-time section (which about midway...like a bridge).

I would change the tempo....however only want the drums to play at half time for one section.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 10:56 AM
Originally Posted By: JasonD
Hi Jazzman, thanks for your reply. When I reset the beginning of the song to normal time, it also resets the half-time section (which about midway...like a bridge).

That don't sound like the way to turn half time drums on and off when and where you want to . Look closer at the options in F5. You should have the bar you want the change to occur selected when you go into F5 for each occurrence of the change.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 12:30 PM
Hi all, first post, been using biab for many years, however, now getting 'deeper' into it.

I want to change a drum part to play half-time in one section of the song. I've chosen the bar to start this --> right click --> bar settings --> left-click on RealDrums under 'Style Changes at This Bar' --> chosen 'Half-Time' beside the Timebase option, then OK and OK.

The drums do play at half-time, however it applys to the entire song - I just want it to apply to that section.

I'm using the latest BiaB 2018, ultra-pak. Thanks for any help in advance!

Jason,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure that what you want to accomplish is easily possible yet. It can be done, though.

One way that it could be accomplished is to create a Performance Track of half-time drums on any unused track (as example, I'll use the Melody track). I'd then use Bar Settings (F5) and mute/normal between the Drum Track and the Melody track to bring the different drums in and out of the mix.

EXAMPLE
1. Load half-time drums on the Melody Track.

2. Generate the drums on the Melody Track.

3. Save the half-time drums on the Melody Track as a Performance file (right-click on Melody Track in mixer | Track Actions | Save as Performance File).

4. Load normal time drums on the Drum Track.

5. Use Bar Settings (F5) to have normal time drums playing and the Melody Track muted in the section where normal drums are needed.

6. In section where half-time drums are required, use Bar Settings to mute the normal drums and unmute the Melody track.

7. Generate the whole song so that the mute/normal settings are activated.

This should do the job for you.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: JasonD Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 12:55 PM
Thanks so much all. I'll give it a try and good to know. Lovin Biab - so incredible.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 01:41 PM
I’m not at my BIAB computer but is it possible now to put Realdrums on more than one track? If so, you could have two drum tracks, each at different speeds, and just mute/unmute as needed.
Posted By: JasonD Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 01:59 PM
That's great, thanks. Will do.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 02:59 PM

I just tried it in BIAB 2018. I added a second RealDrum on the Guitar track, at double-time timebase. Works fine. And it's a lot of fun, to have the drums suddenly break into double-time. Then I tested half-time, as you requestedf, and that works also.

I did notice an oddity that I will discuss with the developers. Whichever RealDrum track I chose to alter the timebase (half-time or double-time), it affected only the first - original - drum track (Drums 1). Unless or until that changes, plan accordingly to put the 'altered timebase' track on Drum 1.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

I just tried it in BIAB 2018. I added a second RealDrum on the Guitar track, at double-time timebase. Works fine. And it's a lot of fun, to have the drums suddenly break into double-time. Then I tested half-time, as you requestedf, and that works also.

Matt,

Thanks for checking this. I tried it yesterday and, for some reason, BIAB was unco-operative and kept seeing the two different drum tracks as multitrack drums. Becuase of this, only one of the tracks played the drums. Hence my above post about performance tracks.

This morning when I revisited drums on two tracks in light of your post, all worked according to plan.

Morale of the story.... I should have closed and restarted BIAB yesterday!

I'm glad you persevered and got Jason up and running with this much easier solution.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: JasonD Re: Changing to half time drums mid song - 01/04/18 05:28 PM
You people are all really awesome. Thanks so much for putting the time in.
© PG Music Forums