PG Music Home
Posted By: Aurelio Biz Midi Chord Wizard - 01/07/18 03:25 PM
Hello, is there a tool like Audio Chord Wizard but for MIDI? I need to figure out the chords of a melody in a midi file. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Midi Chord Wizard - 01/07/18 03:47 PM
Load the melody onto the Melody Track.

BIAB will interpret chords but they may or may not be accurate because a melody only has single notes; multiple note midi files are always better for more accurate chord interpretation.

Once the melody is on the Melody Track, though, set the key and then run the 'Chord Reharmonist' (see image below). This is designed for use with melody. It's worthwhile having a look in Help, searching for 'Reharmonist' and having a read about how to get the best from it.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture chord reharmonist.JPG
Posted By: doctormidi Re: Midi Chord Wizard - 01/07/18 04:53 PM
If I were you, I'd use RealBand (I assume you are on windows).
Posted By: Aurelio Biz Re: Midi Chord Wizard - 03/13/18 07:41 AM
Hello Noel96, I just like to thank you very much for this tip. I use it a lot now and of course, we have to do some adjustments. It's a great tool to start harmonizing a melody from midi. It even tells you the correct key of the melody!
Posted By: jford Re: Midi Chord Wizard - 03/13/18 10:39 AM
Is the MIDI file just the melody track, or are there also accompaniment tracks? If there are accompaniment tracks in the MIDI file, you'll probably get better results.

Unless it's an original melody (such as your own), you might just want to try one of the guitar tab sites which have chords for many, many songs. Or try finding another MIDI file of the same song which has accompaniment, which, again, makes it easier to figure out the chords.

You can also google the song + "sheet music" and look at resulting images, which often give you at least the first page of the sheet music. That might be enough to get you going to figure out the rest.

Just some things to try.
Posted By: Aurelio Biz Re: Midi Chord Wizard - 03/13/18 02:34 PM
Hello John, they're my originals midi melody tracks. No accompaniment. I have to figure out the chords to publish a songbook. Thanks anyway.
Posted By: jford Re: Midi Chord Wizard - 03/13/18 03:08 PM
BIAB has the "feature" to try to figure a chord progression based on a melody, but in my experience the results leave a lot to be desired. And the computer will have no idea about what you are hearing in your head. For example, let's say your melody does something simple like D-E-F. Is that a Dm, a Bb, a Gm7, a Ddim, etc.? So you may want to use the chord reharmonist that Noel suggested to hear various chords that would work, and if you just want to keep it simple, look at Noel's avatar, which shows which chords work well progressing to the next chords. Try the different variations and see which ones your melody works over. You may find that it works and is actually kind of fun to do. You can iteratively plug in each chord you want and test it out (as long as you import your MIDI melody to the melody track first). It should get you a lot closer to what you are hearing in your head. Just a thought.
© PG Music Forums