PG Music Home
Posted By: Teunis BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 07:04 AM
Hi all, I have an annoying issue. I am slowing the tempo in the last few bars of a song using F5 and setting the tempo. However each time BIAB reaches the changed bar BIAB pauses plays the bar moves onto the next bar where the tempo changes again but pauses first then plays this happens at each changed bar. The song renders fine. When I generate the .wav files pull them into Sonar the slowing in tempo is exactly what I want. It is only whilst playing the song in BIAB. It happens on more than one song in differing styles. It seems fine when I open the song in RealBand. It is as if BIAB has to think about the tempo change.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

Tony
Posted By: Teunis Re: BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 07:30 AM
Ok it seems I have found an answer. If I use a percentage change rather than "change tempo to" it plays smoothly.

I left this up as I doubt I'd be the only one with this issue but I could not find a post specifically to this.

Sorry all, Tony
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 07:30 AM
Tony,

Are you using "% change in tempo" or "Tempo Change To"?

I tried with "Tempo Change To" and set the tempo 20 bpm lower each bar over 3 bars and there was no pause.

I also tried by changing the tempo by -5 over each of 3 bars and it was OK for me.
Posted By: stratos Re: BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 07:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Ok it seems I have found an answer. If I use a percentage change rather than "change tempo to" it plays smoothly.

I left this up as I doubt I'd be the only one with this issue but I could not find a post specifically to this.

Sorry all, Tony

Thanks a lot Tony.
Yesterday I encounted that problem. Now I will try what you experienced
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 07:40 AM
Great. smile
It seems you found the answer while I was testing for the problem. grin
Posted By: Teunis Re: BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 07:47 AM
Thanks VT it is a suitable work around but I have experienced this issue on several occasions. It is however the first time I tried using percentage change rather than the tempo setting. It is then easy to see the figure BIAB sets and use those changes in Sonar, albeit it is more a matter of lining up in Sonar it does not affect the imported wav files anyhow.

Thanks
Posted By: Teunis Re: BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 07:56 AM
I was using "change tempo to". I was dropping from 90 to 87 then next bar to 83 the ending on 80. So 3 concurrent bars with changes. However dropping by percentage -5 then -4 then -3 I got pretty much what I was looking for.

Tony
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 07:59 AM
Great Tony. Glad it's resolved.

There has been a long time item in the Wishlist that the tempo slows gradually during the bar, not jumping to a new tempo at each bar.

We can only hope, but I doubt this will be delivered.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 08:05 AM
Tony,

What audio driver are you using? (Under "Audio | Audio Driver/Settings"

If it's the WAS driver, as an experiment, try changing to MME and see if it behaves better. BIAB is usually much more stable when running with MME and I notice in Andrew's build upgrade notes, the WAS driver has been involved in some issues.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Teunis Re: BIAB pauses at tempo change points - 01/16/18 08:53 AM
Hi Noel, I use an ASIO driver it is usually fine (after I uninstalled and rebuilt it after Win 10 1709) but this issue has always been there. I put up with it because once rendered things were fine and I really only use BIAB to make the tracks to finish in Sonar. I don't use BIAB except to generate the files and send each track out as a flat .wav. (By flat I mean I centre each track, set all the volumes etc the same in BIAB before exporting them.) I then normalise each track to the same starting point then balance them out and finalise them in Sonar.

Tony
© PG Music Forums