PG Music Home
Posted By: edstrat10 Change drums in mid song - 01/20/18 12:15 PM
I would like to change from a side stick snare in the verses to a regular snare in the choruses. The particular program in this song is "Blues Rock 128". I have seen the 6 side programs but can't make it change to them mid song.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Change drums in mid song - 01/20/18 03:33 PM
Ed,

If you look at the notes/memo for the Blues Rock 128 Realdrums (lower right corner), it says....

1-a:SideStick, HiHat : The sidestick is played on beats 2 and 4 with the kick

1-b:Snare, HiHat : The snare is played on beats 2 and 4 with the kick drums on

What this means is that

1) the BLUE PART MARKER sections (1-a) will use the sidestick and hihat.

2) the GREEN PART MARKER sections (1-b) will use snare and hihat.

In other words, this style already has exactly what you need. All you need to do is click a couple of times on the bar number that is the first bar of your chorus until the color of the square around the bar number turns green.

When you have the green part markers in place, regenerate your song and you'll have have the change in drums that you're after.

If you'd like to find out a little more about part markers, the below link will take you to a short, 2 minute PG Music video clip on them. While the video uses an older version of BIAB, the principle is identical today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ViJ2691vU

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: edstrat10 Re: Change drums in mid song - 01/20/18 05:15 PM
Noel, Thank you so very much for your reply. I had understood about the colored part markers but I can't seem to regenerate the drum track recognize the changed part markers therefore it replays the same way everytime.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Change drums in mid song - 01/20/18 05:41 PM
Ed,

It sounds like the drum track is frozen. (I'm assuming that you have a latter version of BIAB.)

If you have BIAB 2018, right-click on "Drums" on the top menu and have a look under "Track Settings" to change the freeze status. (If the track is frozen, there will and asterisk before the track name.... that is, *Drums.)

Another possibility is that an audio file exits of the drums before the part marker changes were put in place.

To check this, mute the audio. (If you right-click on the Audio track menu item, 'mute' will be an option.)

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture mute audio frozen realtracks.JPG
Posted By: edstrat10 Re: Change drums in mid song - 01/20/18 06:23 PM
Noel, thank you so very much for trying to help me. I have tried setting the part markers to A & B and selecting the A & B drum parts in the side box of the drum program. I have tried muting and unmuting the audio.
It seems like I need to regenerate the drum part after I make the changes to make the program recognize the changes but I am embarrassed to say I can't find how to do that.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Change drums in mid song - 01/20/18 06:40 PM
Hi Ed,

Yes, any time a change is made to drums, instruments or bar settings, it's necessary to generate for those settings to be implemented.

Clicking on the button below will regenerate the backing for you. (This is in BIAB 2018.)

Attached picture generate.JPG
Posted By: edstrat10 Re: Change drums in mid song - 01/20/18 07:29 PM
THAT'S IT!!!!!!! Thank you a million times. I have looked all over for the generate setting. Mine has a play button and a + button and I was looking too hard and didn't see it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Change drums in mid song - 01/20/18 09:20 PM
Excellent. I'm glad you're up and running.
© PG Music Forums