PG Music Home
Posted By: jeb Style Picker - 01/24/18 07:59 PM
When I select the "Include Similar" in the style picker regardless of which category I have selected to search for, Band In The Box includes all styles. Example, if I have no style selected, Band In The Box shows 5847 styles. If I select, say for example, the Celtic category, I get 180 items. However if I select "Include Similar" Band In The Box shows all 5847 styles as being similar to Celtic. Are all of the other styles actually similar to Celtic? This happens regardless of which category I have selected. This seem to be a programming error. What's the point of having the "Include Similar" box if all styles are always shown to be similar?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Style Picker - 01/24/18 08:39 PM
Jeb,

When I clicked on the "Help" button on the lower right of Stylepicker and used CTRL+F to search for 'Similar', I found the information shown by the below image.

Then when I used the example of "Amazing Grace" (American Trad, folk 3/4) as shown in the Help example, and tried without and then with "Include Similar", I had 8 styles listed first and then 425 styles listed second.

Because of this, I believe that "Include Similar" relates to the finding of suitable styles from requested titles and not the Categories. (Unless I'm missing something, because the categories are already defined, I'm not sure that "Include similar" could realistically add any extra information.)

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture Similar Styles.JPG
Posted By: jeb Re: Style Picker - 02/09/18 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info. However if you choose a song like "The Girl From Ipanema" 337 styles show up, but when I click include similar I get 4450 styles, which seems to me be be a little too inclusive of 'similar' styles. I don't know but to me it seems style picker is flawed. Everything or almost everything can't be similar to almost any song.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Style Picker - 02/09/18 10:28 PM
))) if you choose a song like "The Girl From Ipanema" 337 styles show up, but when I click include similar I get 4450 styles, which seems to me be be a little too inclusive of 'similar' styles.

Show similar will show all styles, sorted by best to worst. If you don’t want that behaviour then don’t select shows similar styles. However maybe you’re interested in style for girl from Ipanema but you want to swing feel and a waltz. If you have shows similar style selected then you will see some styles for that if you don’t have it selected no styles will show up.
Posted By: axelrod Re: Style Picker - 02/10/18 12:24 PM
Even 337 seems like a lot, Peter. Reminds me of when Mel Brooks would do "Man of a Thousand Faces" for a Catskill crowd. Invariably, someone would yell out "I only counted 618 faces!"
© PG Music Forums