PG Music Home
Posted By: 1manband Update Frustrations - HELP NEEDED - 01/30/18 02:58 PM
I have been having some new issues recently; I have been waiting about posting anything to see if they clear up as "the dust settles" from all the recent changes and updates. I'm still having one problem...but first, a little background.

I always install new versions of BIAB on my office computer for testing before I install it on the computer I use onstage for praise and worship. As most of you know, sometimes there are minor kinks to be resolved before I can trust it for live performance.

As part of my testing, I prepare the songs each week on my office computer, checking and frequently tweaking the arrangement, the mix, and when new RealTracks come out, sampling them. Two or three weeks ago I did my prep in my office and without thinking it through, I changed a RealDrums style to one of the new ones.

So when I did a final run-through on the stage computer, I realized the problem - I didn't have the new drum style. I thought to myself, "Well, it's been a week or two, everything seems all right, I'll go ahead and install it on the stage computer." So I took it home and did that the night before the service on the next day.

The same evening Windows 10 notified me that I need to install the latest "Creator's Update." So I did that, too. That's probably when my troubles began.

When I took the computer back to our sanctuary and tried it out, my Delcom USB footswitch no longer worked. After trying many things, I finally determined that the Windows update seemed to be interfering with it and I had to go into the properties and select "Run as Administrator." It works now but I can't put it in the start up folder as I did before. I have to start BIAB, then start the Delcom software. Not too big a deal.

Then during the first song, the sound was "gurgly", like it was underwater or "warbly." I tired switching MME to ASIO4ALL (which I had to download first), and I still had problems. I tried WAS, no joy. Return to factory settings but it didn't help. I ended up going back to MME, and after numerous reboots, the gurgle/warble went away and it has stayed away.

The remaining problem is that once in a while, the playback pauses for about 1 or 2 seconds, then resumes. Usually when it does this once, it will keep doing every few seconds for that song. I stopped that song, finished it without BIAB, and went to the next song. The last three songs of the set played normally without any pauses.

All I can think of is that my system resources are being maxed out with four RealTracks plus RealDrums going at once. But since it doesn't usually do this, I'm guessing that it only happens when some other background process starts up during a song and overloads the system. I can't go into the task manager during a service to see if that's what is happening, though, and I can't get it to do it except during a service. Maybe it's that old Devil interfering with us!

Any thoughts or ideas?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Update Frustrations - HELP NEEDED - 01/30/18 04:17 PM
Hi Jim,

Prior to opening BiaB go into the device manager and turn off your either net card and if you have WiFi disable it also. Then run off your anti-stuff, i.e. anti-virus, anti-malware etc. Then start BiaB and see if the problem goes away.

Note that I do this prior to working on any music or photographic program. Background stuff can cause havoc with music software.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Posted By: 1manband Re: Update Frustrations - HELP NEEDED - 01/30/18 04:28 PM
Thanks, Mario. I'll do what you said. I really appreciate it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Update Frustrations - HELP NEEDED - 01/30/18 05:26 PM
Jim,

Following on from Mario, do you have \bb excluded from your anti-virus checking software?

I'm with Mario in that is sounds like a backgound operation is interfering with performance.

Also, I don't know if you've done this (you might have), but to set BIAB permanently to run as administrator....

1. right-click on the startup shortcut

2. select "Properties"

3. click on the "Compatibility" tab

4. activate the option to run as admin

5. while in the compatibility tab, you could also set BIAB to run in compatibility mode for an earlier edition of Windows (you could try, say, Windows 7).

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: 1manband Re: Update Frustrations - HELP NEEDED - 01/30/18 05:35 PM
Noel,

My antivirus has never interfered before (that I know of) but I'll set it exclude BIAB now just to be sure. With all the new security updates causing a more intense level of precautions and checking, it certainly could be involved.

And I am already running BIAB as administrator.

Thanks so much!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Update Frustrations - HELP NEEDED - 01/30/18 06:03 PM
In addition to the good suggestions already offered, one thing you could do is prepare the songs as .WAV files in advance. The worst of computers should play that back with no problems regardless of viruses or other programs running in the background. It’s not a high tech solution but it would be a reliable one.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Update Frustrations - HELP NEEDED - 01/30/18 09:01 PM
Two things to try:

1. Change audio driver selection (for instance WAS to MME), back out of the program then change the audio driver selection back to whichever choice you prefer. Sometimes the setting does not "take". Changing then changing back helps the setting to "take".

2. Change the audio latency setting. The default use to be very high and has been changed to a much lower number.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Bunyip Re: Update Frustrations - HELP NEEDED - 01/31/18 02:35 AM
I also had major problems with the Windows 10 Pro creator update #1709.

When I updated as required by windows the desktop icons for BIAB and Realband disappeared and could not be reinstated via the normal right click/view on the desktop.

I managed to create a new icon for BIAB but it would not load because the windows 'preparing to install' window appeared behind it and that was that. I tried many things including a question on this forum, and online support with PG Music, but nothing worked to get BIAB to load.

I then reverted Windows 10 Pro to the previous edition, reinstalled BIAB and it now works.

I will not try the creator update again but instead will regress to Win 10 Home edition because I do not want to deal with unknown compatibility issues with 10 Pro.

Having said all that, BIAB is fantastic for creating backing tracks for my duo performances. Previously I used iReal Pro on my iPad but BIAB is in another league.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Update Frustrations - HELP NEEDED - 01/31/18 09:02 AM
Hi Jim

I too had problems with the Win 10 Creators update - so I went back to the previous Win 10 update and then re-installed the Creators update again = and everything worked fine

I read somewhere that after the Creators update we should have closedown the computer and re-boot

The one outstanding issue was solved by changing the default WAS back to MME

jazzman
© PG Music Forums