PG Music Home
Hey there folks,

I have a few things I was hoping to get some clarity on.

1. If every track now has a half-time, triple-time, and double time option, does that mean you can literally use any RT with any style by changing those parameters?

2. If the above is true, why is there a "tempo-swapping" indicator in the style picker? Is it a throwback to previous versions where, IIRC, most tracks did not have the timebase dropdown option?

3. What's the deal with the [double-time] tagged tracks given the above?

Thanks in advance!
Talking about double-, triple- and half-time....

From a Realtrack perspective, doubletime means that the Realtrack will play in double the amount of time. (This means that the tempo value in bpm must be halved.)

For example... a bar of 4/4 at 120 bpm takes 2 seconds to play (i.e. each beat is 0.5 sec).

By comparison, a bar of 4/4 at 60 bpm will take 4 seconds to play since each beat is 1.0 sec. In other words, 1 bar of 4/4 at 60 bpm takes 'double the time to play' when compared to 1 bar of 4/4 at 120 bpm.

Thus, a Realtrack that is designed to be played at normal speed at 120 bpm can also be comfortably used in a song whose tempo is 60 bpm provided the 'doubletime' timebase setting is active.

Halftime, on the other hand (from a RT perspective), means that the RT will play in 'half the time'.... this means that the tempo, in bpm, must have doubled.

Thus a Realtrack that is designed to be used at normal speed at 85 bpm can also be satisfactorily used at a tempo of 170 bpm provided the 'halftime' setting is engaged.

I'll leave you with 'Tripletime' to ponder smile

I must be a little brain-dead tonight because I'm not quite sure what you mean by "tempo swapping". Could you please elaborate a little more on this?

The '[double-time]' that is affixed to some RTs names means that it is preset to be used at a tempo that is half the bpm of the original tempo that the track was designed for.

So... a RT recorded for use at 150 bpm could also be a RT used at a tempo of 75 bpm if 'doubletime' is activated. PG Music has done this with some of the highly popular RTs to make it easier for users.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Thanks Noel, what I mean by Tempo Swapping is the TS column in the Style Picker (see p. 252 in the manual).
Ahh... I see what you mean... I think you are looking at Realtrack Picker and not Style Picker.

Tempo swapping is an auto-substitute feature. The setting is engaged globally by the setting shown as #3 on the top image below.

In addition to the global setting, it also needs to be set on a song-by-song basis in Song Settings as shown on the lower image.

When these settings are set, if you use a Realtrack that's too far outside its recommended tempo range, and if there is a similar Realtrack at a better tempo available, then the similar Realtrack that's more appropriate for the tempo will be substituted.

When you look at RTs in the mixer, you'll see that some have ~ leading the name. This means that there is a tempo-based substitution available but it's not been substituted. If you see ~~ leading the name, then the RT that is present has been automatically substituted and is not part of the original style.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Description: Global setting for tempo-based auto-sbustitution
Attached picture autosubstitution - global.JPG

Description: Tempo-based substitution of Realtracks in Song Settings (song by song); the image is from a pre-2018 version of BIAB
Attached picture autosubstitution - song by song.JPG
I wonder if “the better RealTrack” could be the same RealTrack at a different time base when the tempo change becomes extreme. I’ll do some experiments.
Thanks so much for the input (and offer to experiment)!

Honestly, I sometimes wonder how many "vestigial" features lurk within the nooks and crannies of this vast and wonderfully complex program...
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
Honestly, I sometimes wonder how many "vestigial" features lurk within the nooks and crannies of this vast and wonderfully complex program...

That's why I enjoy playing around with the program so much!
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

We may never know.
© PG Music Forums