PG Music Home
Posted By: Enitne MIDI export problem (missing MIDI data) - 02/04/18 08:34 AM
Hi!

When exporting/drop track as MIDI, sometimes the (destination) file is missing data, only partial of the MIDI data is exported.

I'm not sure what to do. I have re-loaded/generated, tried different tracks, even created new song from scratch, but the track (in this case piano) simply won't export all of the data.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
When you say part of the MIDI data is missing, do you mean all the MIDI data from a number of bars or do you mean random data elements from otherwise intact bars?
Posted By: Teunis Re: MIDI export problem (missing MIDI data) - 02/04/18 08:56 AM
In the program you are importing the data into does a piano roll view ( assuming you can see one) have all the notes. It could be some notes are out of range for the device you are sending the data to. Maybe you need to move it up (or down) an octave. This is very common when say pulling in a bass track. In some synths the data comes in too low and won't play.

Just a thought

Tony
Posted By: Noel96 Re: MIDI export problem (missing MIDI data) - 02/04/18 09:07 AM
Hi Enitne,

Welcome to the forums.

I wonder if you are trying to export Realtracks as midi. If that's the case, Realtracks are audio and exporting them as midi is not easily possible.

If this is the problem, the below thread is a useful read. It is very comprehensive.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=451355

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Enitne Re: MIDI export problem (missing MIDI data) - 02/04/18 09:08 AM
The whole track is exported as expected ehn it comes to tempo, length and so on. But notes are missing (although they are there in BIB).

Posted By: Enitne Re: MIDI export problem (missing MIDI data) - 02/04/18 09:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I wonder if you are trying to export Realtracks as midi. If that's the case, Realtracks are audio and exporting them as midi is not easily possible.

If this is the problem, the below thread is a useful read. It is very comprehensive.

Yes, it's a Realtrack, and I guess that's the issue. Although, I can see the notes in the piano roll ...

Thanks for the link.
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Enitne,
<...snip...>
I wonder if you are trying to export Realtracks as midi.<...>
Regards,
Noel
<...>

That is my first guess as well.

Notes
Enitne, we need more info. In addition to the questions above, can you give us the name & number of this RealTrack so we can try it? To my knowledge, all piano RealTracks have notation now, which means they should have MIDI that would be complete.
Posted By: Enitne Re: MIDI export problem (missing MIDI data) - 02/04/18 12:45 PM
Hi!

Yes, in this case we’re talking about Realtracks, and I know they are primarily audio. Although I only get this error (loss of MIDI data) when dropping/exporting certain tracks, for instance: 2732 (Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm FunkySwingBluesMike Sw16).

When I export the track the length is as expected, and where the data is missing it’s all just blank.

My version is Band-in-a-Box 2017 UltraPAK.
Welcome to the neighborhood.

Some, but not all, RealTracks have MIDI data associated with them. This is identified if the Track has an underscore associated with its name. The MIDI data is likely to be a transcription taken manually from the actual performance, and may not have all of the nuances of the original material.

From the Help:

Attached picture 2018-02-05_05-50-55.jpg
VideoTrack, good tip.

Somewhere along the line, I remember a PG Music staffer saying all piano tracks had MIDI now. I suspect this is due to how they recorded the piano tracks, on a MIDI-capable keyboard.
Posted By: Enitne Re: MIDI export problem (missing MIDI data) - 02/05/18 01:41 PM
Thank you all!

Not to self: Never create a forum new-comer account on a Sunday! wink (I was going to post earlier last night but couldn’t because my account was kept under “review” by the admins. I also tried to PM some of you, but the function was disabled.)

Anyway, a few hours after my last attempt to reply (to Matt Finley) I found what caused the MIDI data loss. I understand the concept of RealTracks – what they are, how they work, etc – so lack of knowledge was never the issue. What seemed to cause it was inconsistent key signature settings. The song was composed/typed (in the Chord Sheet) for the A key, but for some reason I had (unnoticed) set the key signature to A#. As soon as I changed the key to A everything worked as expected. I tried back and forth a few times just to make sure, and the inconsistent key signature settings was definitely it.

Remember, this didn’t happen with other piano RealTracks. In this case I had issues with #2732, while other piano RT’s were being exported without any data loss (whatever the key settings).

I would say this is an issue perhaps for the developers to look over.

PS. As far as I know all piano tracks have MIDI.
Yes, setting the correct key signature for the song affects many things.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
VideoTrack, good tip.

Somewhere along the line, I remember a PG Music staffer saying all piano tracks had MIDI now. I suspect this is due to how they recorded the piano tracks, on a MIDI-capable keyboard.

Yes, I seem to remember Peter mentioned a Clavinova was used for the piano recordings. I might be incorrect, but I'm sure they use a keyboard with MIDI capability.
© PG Music Forums