PG Music Home
Posted By: lambada Drums in the red - 02/06/18 10:34 AM
Hi

I'm running through the styles (just realtracks, no midi) from the style picker with everything muted except the drums and bass. And various a b styles selected. Just really to get some ideas of bass and drum backing for possible FAWN songs. Is it just me that has every drum track in the red on the BIAB 2018 mixer? My volumes are all set at 90. Is this a false flag or will it be a problem? Does it mean it's distorting or not?
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Drums in the red - 02/06/18 11:18 AM
Usually one should leave a little headroom, when you mix tracks together to a stereo mix. The biab mixer has a scale from 0-127, that might translate to - 60 (or nothing) dBu to +12 dBu. IMO: I guess 90 is around 0 dBu, with a normalized RT or Drum audio file, so you'll have 12 dBu headroom maybe as volume playground. Can of worms here BTW ... -F
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Drums in the red - 02/06/18 03:58 PM
floyd recently spoke about this. It might have been on his video that I saw it, I'm not sure.

The bottom line is that 'in the red' is less important in the world of digital than it was in world of analogue. If you don't hear any distortion, then there is nothing to worry about. Let your ears guide you.

If you are concerned, try adding PG Dynamics or PG Peaklimit to the drums track. Try experimenting. For example...

Put the same set of drums of two or three different tracks. Generate the tracks. Keep one track natural. To one of the other tracks add the PG Dynamics plugin and to the other track, add the PG Peaklimit plugin.

Now compare the tracks and ask yourself some questions such as...

How do the tracks compare with one another? What do you gain or lose by adding plugins when compared to the natural track? Does the natural track sound distorted?

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Drums in the red - 02/06/18 05:12 PM
Yep this was in fact discussed somewhere up above....

red isn't a big issue. If you can't hear any issues it's fine.

edit: here>>> http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=451099&page=1

mostly on the second page

Posted By: joden Re: Drums in the red - 02/06/18 11:48 PM
look at the waveforms in a DAW and you'll find that most of the tracks that hit the red, have flattened waveform tops and bottoms, indicating there is indeed digital distortion.

What I do is bring the level down to nudging the yellow and then export the audio to DAW, where that headroom is VITAL!!
Posted By: lambada Re: Drums in the red - 02/07/18 08:44 AM
Thanks all. It only started to appear in 2017. Whilst I can't hear any distortion, I do always take it down until the red disappears and then balance everything else against wherever the drums are, particularly as my recording flow is BIAB to Realband and then Reaper/Ozone etc.
© PG Music Forums