PG Music Home
Posted By: CliveR Free jazz - 02/06/18 11:43 AM
Any suggestions how can I create some atonal playalongs over which I can improvise free jazz.

I've looked for real tracks or styles but cannot find any.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Free jazz - 02/06/18 01:39 PM
Interesting question. I don't think you'll find that. Too much of BIAB is built upon the structure of tempo, key and chordsheet.

However, you could always put a request in the Styles Wishlist forum. Who knows?
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Free jazz - 02/07/18 08:20 AM
Hi Clive

Go to - Melodist - Select, in the Help Index

Form

This selection box allows you to choose between a song generated with a specific form (AABA 32 bars) or "free" form. The AABA defaults to 32-bar form, which is the most popular song form. If you'd prefer for the song to have no form, you could set the song to "no form" This wouldn't be a very musical setting, but might be useful for practicing or ear training.

Many years ago I did some free experimenting and from recollection I went to - Melodist - and on the - Form dropdown I selected - Free - selected the number of bars - Choose a midi style on the left and generated - Chords
I then replaced these chords with my own and saved

Can't remember how good it worked or if it worked but this might help you but as Matt states it is not really a part of the BB structure

jazzman
© PG Music Forums