PG Music Home
I've used BiaB since 2012 and haven't had too many issues with it. However, since updating to the 2018 version, I'm having an issue with the time feature. I can load a song at say 100 bpm. Everything will play just fine. When I attempt to add a solo instrument though, it is always at twice the tempo I need it to play, even when I have the time set to "normal time". I've experimented with using half-time, double time, etc) just to see if the other feels change the performance. However, no matter what I choose I get the solo tracking playing at twice the tempo of the rest of the track. I experimented a little and turned off allowing the feature and get the track to generate in normal time but as soon as I allow the feature again, I'm right back in the same boat.

I downloaded and installed Build 510 update but that hasn't helped either.
When you say....

Quote:
I experimented a little and turned off allowing the feature and get the track to generate in normal time but as soon as I allow the feature again, I'm right back in the same boat.

What does "Allow the feature" mean? I'm not quite sure what 'feature' you are referring to.

Also, it sounds like you are using Realtrack soloists. Could you please confirm this. MIDI soloists behave a little differently.

IMPORTANT.... What is the name of the style you are using? It's possible the the time-base setting has been set in the style such that it cannot be modified outside the style. If you let me know the style's 8-character name in Stylepicker, I'll check it out.

Lastly, do you load the Soloist via the 'Soloist' dialogue window. (See the image below.)

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture soloist range of bars.JPG
Thank you for the reply, Noel. I appreciate it! Sorry it took so long to get back to you but life... smile

By "allow the feature", I mean that in the Song Options menu, you can choose to allow "Half/Double Time" for the song or turn the feature off for that song. It's under the heading "RealTracks Options For This Song" and says, "Allow RealTracks Half-Time/Double Time". It's a standard check box. Selecting it with a check mark enables the feature for the song (and is the default) and deselecting it removes the check mark and disables the feature for that particular song.

So when its in the default state (allow) it always plays the solo like its pants are on fire no matter if I choose "Half", "Double", or "Triple" time in the RealTracks selector dialogue box.

For clarification, I rarely use MIDI tracks. The only time I use them is if a RealTrack instrument can't be time-stretched without creating artifacts.

This happens regardless of the style I'm using.

And lastly, no I don't use the Soloist dialogue window. I typically load a RealTrack into whatever track I make available.
BigWhirl, just to rule this out, are you up to date, Build 512?
What is the name of the style you are using?

Some styles have the doubletime/halftime setting embedded in their creation. I suspect that in these instances, the Song Settings that you mention will have no effect.

If you let me know the name of the style, I can check it out.

Regards,
Noel

It's been happening regardless of which style I choose. In the instance that drove me to post it was the "Bluegrass Quartet" style. Being that it was a bluegrass number, I changed the style to other bluegrass styles and the problem was persistent. I've experienced it with non-bluegrass styles as well.

And Matt, I'm up to date only as far as Build 510. Today was the first day I've had time to fool with it since then but received no message about an update when I opened the program. I'll definitely update it because I'm having some other issues as well that I've not experienced before. Over the years there have been a few things I've needed help with but this is the first time I've experienced any real technical issues that I've been unable to resolve. But I will update now and see if that helps any. I'm also suddenly having issues with certain RealTracks disappearing from my the RealTracks dialogue box.

Edit: This is weird as well. I opened BiaB and the "About" screen tells me that my last update was indeed Build 510 but it says that I'm up to date. I go to the website and see build 512, which I'm downloading now.
I wonder if BIAB is automatically substituting other Realtracks because it sees them as a better fit from a tempo perspective. The global setting for this is in Realtrack preferences and the song-by-song setting is in 'Song Settings'.

If auto-substitution has occurred, it is noted in the Mixer as a Realtrack with ~~ in front of its name.

Attached picture autosubstitution indicator.JPG
I always check the website and download. The program’s checker doesn’t count ‘beta’ versions, but by definition PG Music calls each new release a beta version. That’s why it said you were up to date.
Originally Posted By: BigWhirl2012
I've used BiaB since 2012 and haven't had too many issues with it. However, since updating to the 2018 version, I'm having an issue with the time feature. I can load a song at say 100 bpm. Everything will play just fine. When I attempt to add a solo instrument though, it is always at twice the tempo I need it to play, even when I have the time set to "normal time" ......
Funny, good that you come up with this, thought it was my fault. Had the same feeling once or twice, and also with v512 recently. Guess i work differently with RT soloists in not using the 'generate a solo" function that often within a BIAB arrangement, other than for finding out what it's capable of. When i find something that might be useful i spend some time generating solos in a 'special' mgu repeating the same bars a few times for the needed part. Then export the outcome to a DAW for cutting and pasting. -F
BigWhirl2012,

Have you tried generating the soloist instrument on a couple of different tracks to see if the behaviour is the same?

This would help isolate a potential problem.

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums