PG Music Home
Posted By: Trygve Larsen What do I do wrong ? - 02/15/18 12:38 AM
I have enter note based lyric many times, and usually no problems. But today, it was messed up 5 times. It was a song with 4 chorus. When I was done typing in the lyric, I saved the song and then played it. Totally messed up lyrics in the two first chorus. Tried tee times, with same result. Then I unfolded the song and tried again. 2 more times, same result. What is going on here?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What do I do wrong ? - 02/15/18 03:17 AM
Hi Trygve,

I don't think you've done anything wrong. I was entering some lyrics just yesterday and something strange happened to me too. The note-based lyrics that I was typing in bar 40 (or thereabouts) ended up appearing in bar 1. I use note-based lyrics a great deal and it definitely wasn't user error.

I haven't been able to repeat the problem though. When I saved the file, exited BIAB, reopened BIAB and the file and fixed up the lyrics, everything saved fine.

It happened after I'd been using note-based lyrics for a couple of hours.

I'll report this to the developers.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: What do I do wrong ? - 02/15/18 04:05 AM
Never really got this lyrics thing working right for printing lead sheets, like in getting the words, or even arrangement remarks positioned where they should be, and not only with the latest BIAB. Anyone has used this feature successfully? -F
Posted By: Trygve Larsen Re: What do I do wrong ? - 02/15/18 04:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
The note-based lyrics that I was typing in bar 40 (or thereabouts) ended up appearing in bar 1. I use note-based lyrics a great deal and it definitely wasn't user error.

It happened after I'd been using note-based lyrics for a couple of hours.

I'll report this to the developers.

Regards,
Noel
Exactly that was what happen also to me. Perhaps the Developer then can locate the problem, as it happen to at least to of us...
Posted By: Pipeline Re: What do I do wrong ? - 02/15/18 07:43 AM
Easy Lyric Syncing
Posted By: Dave Re: What do I do wrong ? - 02/15/18 09:54 AM
This problem has been around since the fake sheet came out in 2004 (I think)

I get the same problem if I delete bars, or sometimes when I copy lyrics and notes from one area to another. I have never been able to exactly identify the circumstances, but like you, lyrics appear in bar 1.

If I have to make changes that include moving chunks of lyrics, deleting bars, etc, I now SAVE the song before I make the change so that I can recover. It's always bar 1 that gets hit, so it's not hard to check.

It's not exactly predictable, but worth doing a save, if you are in this situation.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: What do I do wrong ? - 02/15/18 06:00 PM
You can also lyric that up in KaraFun or import from Karakan, save to video, then rename the video to the same name as the song name.sgu song name.mp4/avi/wmv then when you load the song into bb it should bring up the video window with lyrics. You can also add the chords into the lyric 'I heat up I[Dm] can't cool down....

Attached picture BB-KF-Lyrics.png
Posted By: Graham Martin Re: What do I do wrong ? - 02/16/18 01:30 AM
For me there have been many faults, particularly for note-based lyrics, ever since bar-based lyrics were introduced. These days I have to get the white-out and ink pen working before I can produce a clean leadsheet to distribute to band members. Thus, I need heaps of extra filing on my computer for the PDFs of the corrected versions I have scanned.

The problem of the last words of a stave being carried down to the bar starting the next stave below is extreme. It does of course depend on how many words of the lyric are in the last bar that was carried down. It also depends on the type and size of the font you use for your lyrics. I normally want more than a 100% for the lyrics font. I have to use mostly PG Text at 120% to make it readable on the music stand. It was much better when we had line-based lyrics because you could space the lyrics along the line to suit.

I was very encouraged when Oliver Gannon started to clean up the whole of the notation area the year before the dreaded (for me) bar-based lyrics were introduced. Unfortunately the process did not continue.

I believe some considerable programming effort needs to be put into the whole area of creating proper readable lead sheets using note-based lyrics. The ideal situation, which is used by most fake books, is four bars per line, and nine lines on a page. Of course the chords have to be accommodated as well as the lyrics and any Section Text, Section Letters and Notation Symbols also. And please have a thought for we trombone types who need their lead sheets in Bass Clef where we commonly need at least four ledger lines for the trombone range.

And please make the lead sheets produced using the just the 'Print' button the same as those using the Green button for 'LeadSheet Window'. There are several annoying differences at present.

Please also give some thought to properly showing triplets in Even time, without having to tick the 'Triplet Resolution (Swing)' box.

The ability to produce really good Leadsheets using Band-in-a-Box used to be one of its best features. And it was getting better ever year until you know what.

This is very important for those using Band-in-a-Box leadsheets for band practice purposes. And I am told be some teachers I know, even more so for those in the education world!
© PG Music Forums