PG Music Home
Posted By: big741 Practice Window Transposition question - 02/19/18 01:51 PM
Greetings, one and all,

Recently, I have started to take advantage of the tools offered in the Practice Window. Being a tenor sax player, I am finding the Transpose function quite useful.

What I am having a problem with is BiaB's insistence on displaying the tenor sax chords in "Gb" as opposed to "F#" when the concert key is "E". I know that they're the same key enharmonically, but my brain has spent 40+ years thinking in "F#" instead of "Gb" and I'm too lazy to change now. laugh

Is there any way to get BiaB to display "F#" when it transposes concert "E" in the practice window?

I tried to search for the answer myself, but I didn't have much luck, I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance for your time. smile
I'm not at a BIAB computer to check, but I know BIAB uses the key signature to make enharmonic decisions. Try changing the key of the original song to E instead of C and perhaps it will work. [Your tenor part should read F#]
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Practice Window Transposition question - 02/19/18 09:41 PM
Try Edit > Chords > Jazz Up or Jazz Down.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: big741 Re: Practice Window Transposition question - 02/20/18 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Try Edit > Chords > Jazz Up or Jazz Down.

Unfortunately for my purposes, all this does is add or take away upper extensions of the chords in the song. It doesn't seem to affect the actual roots of the chords displayed. Thanks for taking the time to offer a suggestion, though. smile
Posted By: big741 Re: Practice Window Transposition question - 02/20/18 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I'm not at a BIAB computer to check, but I know BIAB uses the key signature to make enharmonic decisions. Try changing the key of the original song to E instead of C and perhaps it will work. [Your tenor part should read F#]

The key of my song is already in E, however, if I change the key signature to "C" without letting it transpose the chords, the practice window does indeed display the chord changes in "F#". I don't really understand why this works, but I'm going to go with it, as it's what I wanted to accomplish.

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated. smile
© PG Music Forums