PG Music Home
Posted By: Vincente Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/20/18 11:02 PM
What's the best way to convert the .MGX file which's created from BIAB2009 that's able to read and play properly in BIAB 2018?

Your input will be appreciated very much.
Posted By: jford Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/20/18 11:07 PM
An MGX file is nothing more than a BIAB file with a multi-channel MIDI file imported/loaded on the melody track (versus a single channel MIDI file). BIAB should read the MGX file just fine (it still puts non-style multi-channel MIDI on the melody -- or soloist -- track, just like it did in 2009).

You just open the file as you would any other BIAB file.

Are you having a specific problem loading a file?
Posted By: Vincente Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/20/18 11:10 PM
The file loads fine but does not play the sound correctly in Biab2018
Posted By: jford Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/20/18 11:22 PM
Need more information than that. What is not playing correctly? Is your MIDI synth set up the same in 2018 as it was in 2009? Could you provide a sample of each so we can hear what's going on?
Posted By: Vincente Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/21/18 10:25 AM
The MIDI-Synth is diff. from biab2009.
I'll upload the sample file tonight

Thanks for your response
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/21/18 03:31 PM
GM synth or else?
Posted By: jford Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/21/18 03:38 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you mean; however, if the MIDI synth is different, then it won't sound the same. Let us know what synth you were using and what synth you are using now. As Fiddler mentioned, if it's not a GM synth, then how you set it up will be important. But no two synths sound the same. While in GM (General MIDI) there are assignment standard patches (for example, the first patch is an acoustic piano), that piano will sound different in every synth.
Posted By: Vincente Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/21/18 09:48 PM
In Biab2009 I used GM MIDI synth (VSC) Virtual sound canvas.
In Biab2018 I used GM MIDI Synth TTS-1
Here's link for a sample file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yeZ1CgHva8MCIQraVlFrJhJ92pAANjon
Posted By: jford Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/22/18 01:08 PM
The Virtual Sound Canvas (which does not work with newer versions of Windows) has a completely different sound than the TTS-1. There is a newer VSC available, but it's not cheap and as I understand, it's somewhat flaky in operation.

I used the VSC for many years, and I generally liked its sound as a General MIDI synth. However, when it wouldn't work anymore, I switched to the TTS-1 and had to get used to the differences in sound. Some sounds are better in VSC; others are better in TTS-1. As I recall (and it's been a long time since I used it), the VSC had a "fuller" sound than TTS-1.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/22/18 04:44 PM
+++ HERE +++ is Roland's Sound Canvas jford mentioned. The link includes a trial version should you decide you want to try it out.

+++ HERE +++ is a review of the product

The only seller I've found is the (first link) Roland website.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/22/18 05:01 PM
I was a longtime user of Hypersonic 2, quite an inmprovement over edirol (VSC?). You'll need an elicenser dongle, some 20 U$D. You can probably find it cheap secondhand. I bought the IK media Sampletank with the GM omnisynth, too much problems using it since it's hard to set up right. Hypersonic and Halion Sonic (SE) work flawlessly.

If you have Cubase (Elements?) the included Halion Sonic SE is better as such, and version 2 comes with the older Cubase versions from before 9.0.3, Like 7 or 8. This also has a 32bit version included. The recent 64bit Halion Sonic 3 needs to be jBridged 32bit for BIAB. You'll have to set them all to GM in the options menu. Steinberg ('free') trials last for 30 days if you want to try them out. BTW I still have Halion 5 for sale, for MAC or PC, and the complete boxed full version, DVDs, etc, dongle included. 200 bucks plus shipping. Halion Sonic 2 full version is included. -F
Posted By: jford Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/22/18 05:11 PM
I just upgraded to Halion 6, which includes Halion Sonic 3. I'll have to give it a try with BIAB and see how it works.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/22/18 06:12 PM
It works with jBridge, as halion 6 etc is 64bit only. I use the included Halion Sonic 3 that way, no problems etc. F
Posted By: jford Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/22/18 06:43 PM
I've been a registered jBridge user since long before PGMusic adopted it, so that's not a problem.
Posted By: Vincente Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/22/18 09:42 PM
I don't have problem mapping the MIDI sound from BiAb 2009 to new MIDI synth TTS-1 that's I used on Biab2018. The problem, is the real drum does not sound correctly on biab2018 if I load the file created from Biab2009
Posted By: Vincente Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/22/18 09:47 PM
This VSC is just the update to make it works with the new WinOS. I don't think I go backward for this. smile smile
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/23/18 10:56 AM
HI Vincent

It seems to me that you must be on the BIAB default that atomatically changes midi drums to real drums .
Therefore you are not hearing your old midi drum track but a substitute real track,
You can change this default behaviour by:
Mike

Attached picture drums.jpg
Posted By: Vincente Re: Best way to convert the file .MGX - 02/24/18 02:11 PM
The problem in both real drum and MIDI drum track

Attached the sample file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yeZ1CgHva8MCIQraVlFrJhJ92pAANjon
(Click the arrow down on the left side of the screen to download)
© PG Music Forums