PG Music Home
Posted By: Davedrum Styles not loading properly - 03/07/18 01:06 PM
Hi everyone.
I’m new to the forum and have purchased BIAB 2018 about two weeks ago.
Today I ran the disc clean up utility as this did not run on installation. Everything seemed ok but having typed in some chords I selected an appropriate style, it did not seem to load correctly and only played limited instruments and not in the style or instruments selected.
Strangely, when I ‘audition’ the styles, they play ok but they do not load up properly.
I’ve tried the usual close down and run again, I’ve even shut down and rebooted the computer but no joy.
Also in the mixer window, the instrument titles are no changing either it’s as if they are locked.
Am I missing something or do I need to contact technical help.
By the way I: based in the UK,
Posted By: jford Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/07/18 03:05 PM
Which PAK did you purchase? If you purchased the Pro-PAK (which is actually just the entry level PAK, despite its name) or the Mega-PAK, they come with limited RealTracks and RealDrums. If that's the case, it's very possible you selected a style for which you don't have all the underlying RealTracks or RealDrums. The UltraPlusPak (along with the BonusPaks give you pretty much everything and you should not have many problems generating songs properly.

However, another thing I would try first after running the cleanup routine is to 1) rebuild the RealTracks list, 2) rebuild the RealDrums list, and 3) rebuild the StylePicker list. That should pick up any changes.

If that doesn't work, please provide specifics as to what you did (name of style, what you heard or didn't hear, etc). That way we can hone in on how to solve your problem.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/07/18 03:10 PM
Welcome. Although you just bought BIAB, check for program updates. Go to the Support tab, above.

There was a fix related to this a few updates ago. See what version and build you have in Help, About.
Posted By: Davedrum Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 08:32 AM
Hi Ford
I purchased the ultrapack so have access to all the styles. I transferred the whole package onto my computer as iI want to run the programme without the external drive. For the first couple of days everything worked fine and I was very pleased with the package. Then I read in the updates about the “disk cleanup utility” which it recommended I should do. I did this. It seems to run ok until I input chords for a new song, selected and style I wanted to try, then things started going wrong.
Since posting I’ve had a brief on line chat with tech support (I’m based in the UK)
I’ve tried rebuilding real tracks, real drums and styles.
This morning I’ve been trying to load songs and all sorts of things are out of place it seems. E.g
The mixer panel track titles is not showing the proper instrument names. Mostly showing J_swing 1, J_swing 2 etc drums are always listed .
I load a real track but only a midi track plays.
I load a style and get something different to that expected in terms of instruments.
Also, I load a midi track and try to load a soloist real track. I open the select realtracks then the select best soloist track and no selection appear. It’s as if there are no realtracks available.
The more I play with it, the more things I find wrong.
I’m wondering whether the only solution is an uninstall and complete reinstall.
Frustrating in the extreme!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 08:44 AM
Dave,

When you say, "I transferred the whole package onto my computer as I want to run the programme without the external drive.", could you please explain how you did this.

As I read through your description, it sounded like you might have just copied everything over.

If that's the case, have you run the install program on the USB drive at any point in time?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Davedrum Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 08:47 AM
Hi Matt
Yes, I’ve checked that I have the latest copy and for any updates.
Please see my response to JFord but hears an actual example of one of the issues.
I just loaded a 2-5-1 progression fro practice.
I arbitrarily selected the real style _CTRYPOP.sty Country pop with Pedal Steel.
On loading the top line instrument titles are green (I.e. real instruments) however they are headed J_SWING 1; J-SWING 2 etc and they are actually playing midi instruments not real ones! There is no pedal steel guitar at all.

No idea what’s going wrong here. It’s awful!
Dave.
Posted By: Davedrum Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 08:56 AM
Hi Noel
Yes I folllowed the instruction very carefully on installation. I did not simply copy the whole thing from the hard drive provided. The installation process asks which option you want and I chose appropriately. (See page 15 of the latest user manual.)
As stated however, the package ran beautifully for the first couple of days the problems started when I ran the clean up utility recommended in the chapter 3.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 09:25 AM
Dave,

If this were my problem, the first thing I'd do is to go to the link below and download the latest build (#512).

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

I'd then close BIAB, right-click on the build and select "Run as administrator" to install it. (Checking that the program paths are correct when it gets to that part of the installation.)

After the latest build is installed, I'd right-click on the shortcut used to start BIAB and select "Run as administrator". This starts the program in administrator mode which is what PG Music recommend.

Also, under the "Audio" menu on the top tool bar, I'd select "Audio Drivers/Settings" and change the audio driver to MME (I imagine that it is currently on WAS).

Does this help in any way?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Davedrum Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 11:03 AM
Hi Noel
Firstly THANK YOU!!
I followed your directions exactly. The package appears to be operating ok so far. The realstyles etc are appearing where they should and the instruments appear to be playing and being listed ok.
I’ve tried a couple of styles with alternate soloists and whilst some sound a bit off that might be my selection and inexperience in using Real styles.
I’m familiar with BIAB but my earlier version was 2005 and it’s changed so much since then.
I’m reasonably computerate at a very general level but get lost once into the finer points. E.G. no idea why changing the Audio driver setting to MME worked but hey, I’m operational again it seems.
Also don’t understand why the 512 update wasn’t pickup up by the normal “updates” that run in the package itself.

Once again thanks. I’ll let you know how things pan out over the next few days.
Best wishes.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 11:20 AM
Each new update is considered a beta update when it is released. The program does not include beta updates in its check, so you need to do it manually. This is why I had asked you to go to the Support tab.
Posted By: Davedrum Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 11:33 AM
Thanks Matt
Being a newbie I assumed that my in programme updates would take that on board. However, now I know .....
Posted By: jford Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 11:47 AM
Dave, I'm glad it worked out for you.

It's really weird that it worked and then didn't after running the cleanup utility. Sometimes you have to run it again. Also, always double check that your RealTracks/RealDrums are properly defined (either the default or custom location), that you rebuild all the "pickers", and that you "run BIAB as administrator" (running a program as administrator is not the same thing as being logged in as an administrator).

Again, glad it's working now, and keep asking questions. We may not always have the answers, but we'll certainly try to help.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Styles not loading properly - 03/08/18 12:46 PM
I'm glad it's working well now.

Lots of valuable advice summarized by John above, useful for everyone.

About the beta releases, I always update anyway, directly from the website. Each update fixes something, and some add new functionality. Since you can always roll back, I just load the newest one with confidence.
© PG Music Forums