PG Music Home
Posted By: bowlesj When does the new BIAB come out each year? - 03/08/18 10:27 AM
Hi, the subject asks the question. My use of BIAB requires it not have bugs (in the areas I use at least). So I am thinking I won't upgrade until just before the next release comes out (11 months later so all the patches are already applied). When might this month be?

Thanks,
John

P.S. My trading execution software has three levels out there at all times (1 release back as well as the most recent release and the beta version). I believe this is very smart. Forcing all users to debug the latest upgrade is a good way to drive users to look for other options. Every user has different needs/wants.
I cannot comment on when any version is released that is without operational issues.

Up until about 2012, BiaB was released twice yearly.

Since then, each new (Windows) version has been released in approximately December. Mac versions have been released mid-year.

Does any version of BiaB, new or updated not have any bugs? I can't categorically answer that question. You might be able to form a reasonable opinion based on the items raised by users in these forum pages.

For the Windows version, major new releases have been around end of November each year.

Minor patch updates are released during the year. They are to fix bugs or add new features. The current version is very stable, and you can look in the BIAB forum for that,as there aren’t a lot of issues there. Moreover, you can look in the User Showcase, which are posts by people are making songs.
Thanks guys. John
I'd suggest what you should really do is have a second "sandbox" PC where you install the latest version as soon as it comes out. Then you can try out your particular workflow and see if there are any bugs. If there are, you can report them and get them fixed as soon as possible. When you are happy, you can then install the "tested as working by you" version on your "production" PC. Every user uses BIAB in a slightly different way, so relying on someone else finding all the bugs in your particular way of using BIAB isn't very reliable.

Regards

Andy
Thanks Andy,

that is a good idea and I have such as setup to. I use my desktop for practice and a bug is a less serious issue as long as I can practice. I use the notebook for the live jams were other people are involved and I don't want BIAB giving me any unexpected surprises. As long as transferring the actual BIAB song files back and forth is not an issue with the bug this idea should work.

John
© PG Music Forums