PG Music Home
My anti virus just deleted $rbdrums.exe and it won't let me undo that. It said it's a Trojan - and I know it's not.

It must be a new false-positive because it's been scanning that folder for a long time. I keep an old copy on this computer, and the newest copy of BiaB on my music computer.

It came out of the RealBand folder which I don't use, but I'm not happy about it anyway.

So heads up to you, put a copy on a flash drive in case your anti-virus does the same.

Notes
Which anti-virus do you use, Bob?
I'll PM you.

Notes
Your PM cache is over limit.

I don't think it's a good idea to post my AV on a public forum. I could be over cautious about that though.

Notes
Sorry. Anyway, I don’t need to see it. My thought was that whoever had the problem before might chime in. I just can’t remember which product it was.
Usually with virus 'killers' when they throw away some file, driver or other, it's usually based on heuristics (their cheap easy way out). The rejected file is put in to some vault, where you can find it, mark as safe, and reinstall it to the original location. I have also marked whole drives or folders, like my BIAB stuff, as safe; speeds up loading of files by bypassing unnecessary virus scans. F
Usually they quarantine these suspected files. Because I'm a conservative surfer, I rarely get a piece of malware, and to date the AV app has always quarantined them to allow me to tag as OK. This is the first time it deleted it. I'm going through the settings and can't find anything that is appropriate.

Notes
You can usually 'un-quarantine' files that you trust, but the A/V software providers usually don't make the process obvious, as you've seen.
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Usually they quarantine these suspected files. Because I'm a conservative surfer, I rarely get a piece of malware, and to date the AV app has always quarantined them to allow me to tag as OK. This is the first time it deleted it. I'm going through the settings and can't find anything that is appropriate. Notes

Usually it's called 'Vault'. What virus killer do you use?; most have them, sometimes a bit hidden indeed, under options, settings, extra .... F
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
Usually it's called 'Vault'. What virus killer do you use?; most have them, sometimes
a bit hidden indeed, under options, settings, extra .... F

F: Reading earlier posts on this topic, I don't think the O/P wishes to publicly list the particular A/V that is being used.

I agree that your advice on how to generically identify should be quite useful.
I would check your settings to make sure it is set to quarantine. Some Anti-Virus software defaults to "delete" the file, in which case you won't get it back. Is it possible that an update reset it to delete rather than quarantine. I know it's happened to me before.
If you need the file to get back in action, we can email it to you.
Yes, the AV app is set to quarantine and this is the first thing it ever nuked that I know of. A bug in the program perhaps???

I've e-mailed tech support, they should know about it.

Matt, thanks for the offer. I have the original HD around here somewhere. I don't use RealBand, and I haven't noticed a problem with the old copy of BiaB on this computer, so I think I'll let it ride for a while.

After tech help answers, I might dig out the old drive, re-install the file, and see if it gets nuked again.

Computer problems are a time suck. I guess there is a lesson in patience or something to learn here that I'd rather not learn in the busy gigging season laugh

Notes
Computer problems are a time suck.

Oh, wow, ain't that the truth. How much time I waste...
Quote:
Computer problems are a time suck.

Oh, wow, ain't that the truth. How much time I waste...

I can't tell you how many times I go to do something that should be easy and end up saying, "Really?!? Can't it just work?"

Patience, grasshopper, patience.
Patience is sometimes a difficult lesson to learn when dealing with either computers or tech help wink

Notes
..... Computer problems are a time suck. Notes
A musical blackhole? Killing off creativity too often ...

PS I use BIAB mainly besides leadsheet printing, and as tool for songwriting in experimenting with grooves and styles. At times you'll find something, but more often i get distracted & lost in (BIAB) space encountering some alien stuff distracting me because it sounds so nice, alas often in another musical context. But that's BIAB, a great tool. And i'll keep going on with them time suckers.

But the greatest frustration in creativity and art is always when you got onto something nice, to decide the right moment to leave it alone. A trick is to work towards a deadline in time. With composing for film and video i often found that very useful, only them sleepless nights during important jobs can interfere with one's peace of mind. Meanwhile lighting up candles that Windows behaves ... -F
And Ctrl+S is your biggest friend. Every few minutes because the time you forget is the time when Windows (or Apple or the Penguin) is going to sting you.

Computer software is the only product that most of us buy that are so defective.

Can you imagine of your toaster, refrigerator, car, home heater, washing machine, air conditioner, dishwasher, or anything else you buy gave you that much trouble? Immediately it would go back to the manufacturer and you would demand your money back.

Notes
Toasters and other appliances are commodities, everybody uses them so some problem comes up it makes the evening news, Consumer Reports trashes them and it becomes a huge deal.

The only software that rises to that level is MS and Apple and that's about it. Everybody else even big boys like Oracle are still mostly industry insider related so Consumer Reports is not reporting their problems.

Bob
IMO the biggest problem with Oracle is the people using Oracle.

If a certified DB administrator has to spend hours figuring out what data your tables contain because you named them things like 'ts' and 'enl-as2' .. that is not an Oracle issue it is a user issue.

Oracle apps sometimes let a common user add tables and fields to a database, which usually ends up not going well.

Then again, the only time I deal with Oracle is when companies call us to
A. Fix some feature they broke
B. add some feature/report that never existed
C. decipher what some idiot wrote 5 years ago and then left without creating any documentation whatsoever

Oh, and it should NEVER EVER let a user create a table without an ID column.
That's just wrong.
Your company imported 30,000 records from Excel with no ID, and didn't do a backup beforehand, and now you want me to figure which records they were?!?
This is gonna cost extra .... <grin>
Companies using Oracle have the money.

/rant off
//thread hijack off
///I hate learning I have to fix something in Oracle! ///
Yeah, but for Oracle problems to get solved you better see a priest here, bring along a giveaway goat. Maybe they got a paying holiday-summerjob for you here? (could change your name to Rharvilakis):

Attached picture Temple-of-Athena-Delphi-Greece(pp_w840_h560).jpg
© PG Music Forums