PG Music Home
Posted By: paulpaul vst plugins - 03/22/18 06:46 AM
hello

trying to organise all my 32 bit 64 bit vst plugins but when i do a windows search for vst-s i dont know which is 32 or 64. how do i know which is which?
thanks
Posted By: Teunis Re: vst plugins - 03/22/18 07:41 AM
If you look under the C:\Program Files(86) area that is where the 32bit VSTs, programs etc live. Under this area you may need to look in various folders e.g. Cakewalk\shared VSTs or DXis or Steinberg or VSTs ..... But the (86) should indicate 32 bit.
Posted By: jford Re: vst plugins - 03/22/18 01:39 PM
I have my VST plugins segmented into different folders, which makes it easier to tell various hosts where to look for them (most hosts allow you to specify multiple folders separated by semi-colons). The VST/VSTi's that were previously installed were moved from their original location to my new folder structure, and now any new installs get pointed to that folder structure. You just have to be careful whether you are installing 32-bit or 64-bit, so they end up in the right place. Don't just accept the defaults. Some don't give you the choice, but you can always move them later.

Generally, plugins installed under "C:\Program Files (x86)" are 32-bit and those installed until "C:\Program Files" are 64-bit, but it's not always the case. Also, sometimes, looking at the properties of the file will tell you. One of the things I sometimes do is try to load them in something like SaviHost (which wraps the plugin to run stand-alone). There is a 32-bit and 64-bit version of SaviHost, so it will only run in one or the other.

Perhaps someone knows of a VST/VSTi inspector utility that tells you one way or the other (I haven't found one, but maybe Pipeline or Trevor or Noel or someone else on the forum have come across one in their travels). smile

Once identified, my folder structure is set up as follows:

D:\AppsData\VST\...

where I have the following sub-folders:

• ...\32-bit <-- 32-bit VST/VSTi's for which there is also a corresponding 64-bit plugin
  • ...\64-bit <-- 64-bit VST/VSTi's for which there is also a corresponding 32-bit plugin
  • ...\32-bit only <-- VST/VSTi that is only available as a 32-bit plugin
  • ...\64-bit only <-- VST/VSTi that is only available as a 64-bit plugin
  • ...\32-bit bridged <-- 32bit VST/VSTi's that are bridged for use in a 64-bit host (using jbridger) (I only bridge the "32-bit only" files, as they will be unique)
  • ...\64-bit bridged <-- 64-bit VST/VSTi's that are bridged for use in a 32-bit host (using jbridger) (I only bridge the "64-bit only" files, as they will be unique)

Then, I do the following depending upon the host:

If the host is 32-bit and supports internal bridging (like BIAB, Reaper, Sonar, etc do), then I point the host to:
  • ...\32-bit
  • ...\32-bit only
  • ...\64-bit only

If the host is 32-bit and does NOT support internal bridging, but can used bridged files using jbridger, then I point the host to:
  • ...\32-bit
  • ...\32-bit only
  • ...\64-bit bridged

If the host is 64-bit and supports internal bridging (like Reaper, Sonar, etc do), then I point the host to:
  • ...\64-bit
  • ...\64-bit only
  • ...\32-bit only

If the host is 64-bit and does NOT support internal bridging, but can used bridged files using jbridger, then I point the host to:
  • ...\64-bit
  • ...\64-bit only
  • ...\32-bit bridged

That seems to give me the most flexibility to use as many plugins as I have available across the various hosts. It's not perfect and some don't work, but the system for the most part works great for me.

Of course, none of the above applies for DX/DXi's, as they are read from the Windows registry, and I believe you will only be able to use 32-bit DX/DXi's in 32-bit hosts and 64-bit DX/DXi's in 64-bit hosts.

Don't know if that helps any.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: vst plugins - 03/22/18 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Generally, plugins installed under "C:\Program Files (x86)" are 32-bit and those installed until "C:\Program Files" are 64-bit

This is one of those little things that has bugged me for years. Yes, after haunting forums like this one I know this instinctively now but geeze, why can't MS simply say Program files (32) and Program Files (64). Never mind, I know why. All their programmers and coders are twenty something kids who have no clue how the rest of the world lives.

And this goes for every piece of software I've ever seen including our favorites right here. No doubt Biab/RB are easier to learn than most but still, how many times have we all written that the Help files could use a little work? Same for the GUI. Remember Trevor's absolutely awesome vid demonstrating how the GUI might look? We all about fell over praising him and what's happened? A little bit here and there and that's nice but nowhere near where it could be.

Bob
Posted By: paulpaul Re: vst plugins - 03/23/18 02:31 AM
john
thanks for your valuable time and info

there are two filing systems below ..one is yours and one is mine hah

Attached picture filing.jpg
Attached picture Messiest-Mess.jpg
Posted By: paulpaul Re: vst plugins - 03/23/18 02:33 AM
teunis
thanks for info
© PG Music Forums