PG Music Home
Posted By: rallypally Multiple instances of BB - 03/29/18 11:52 PM
Hello

Under what circumstances would one want to run 2 or more instances of BB?

Thanks
Rally
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple instances of BB - 03/30/18 02:14 PM
I don’t know about more than two, but two could be convenient if you want to copy and paste.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Multiple instances of BB - 03/30/18 04:28 PM
I've used the technique to work on the same song but want to vary the chord progression a bit for different instruments and move back and forth between the open instances.
Posted By: rallypally Re: Multiple instances of BB - 03/31/18 03:14 PM
OK.

Could I also then (for live stage) use it to queue the next song in 1 instance, while the current song is playing in another instance of the program?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple instances of BB - 03/31/18 03:17 PM
Never tried that. I suppose it should work as long as you don't use a standard ASIO driver.
Posted By: rallypally Re: Multiple instances of BB - 03/31/18 08:34 PM
ok...thanks guys smile
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/01/18 10:32 AM
It would be good to get information from the program producers on the benefits or challenges of doing it this way. Is this a good direction to take, etc?
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/01/18 10:41 AM
Matt:

You bring up an interesting topic on copy and paste.

I tried to use this running two instances of BIAB about a month ago and it did not work. I made up one sample song that I inputted choprds d-a-d-a-d-a-d-a and on the other instance if BIAB I made up a sample song that had the chords g-b-g-b-g-b-g-b.

Next I copied the 8 measures of d-a-d-a-d-a-d-a in the 1st song using ctrl-c, went to the 2nd song and executed ctrl-v, it did not copy the chords from the 1st song to the 2nd song. The same thing happened with g-b-g-b-g-b-g-b in the 2nd song when I tried to past to the 1st song.

However I can copy and paste within each song to different measures, but it appears that copy and past will not work outside of the boundary of the song you are working on. It looks like you cannot ctrl-c from one instance of BIAB and ctrl-v to the other instance of BIAB.

Wondering if you get the same result.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/01/18 02:21 PM
Thanks, I’ll test that later.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/01/18 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: jcland
Matt:

You bring up an interesting topic on copy and paste.

I tried to use this running two instances of BIAB about a month ago and it did not work. ......

I requested Copy & Paste from BB to BB.

The audio Copy & Paste works: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=447121#Post447121
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/01/18 06:39 PM
Yes, I’m remembering a discussion about this when the feature was first announced.
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/02/18 11:45 AM
Rather then get into all the information that Musocity posted on drum editing in the aforementioned link that Pipeline sent, the question remains:

Can you highlight measures in the 1st instance of BIAB using CTRL-C and past the information using CTRL-V, that should now be in the Windows Clipboard, into the 2nd instance of BIAB.

I cannot get this to go at all. That tells me that Copy & Paste does not work between the 2 instances of BIAB and only works within the same instance.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/02/18 12:24 PM
Kudos to jcland for actually trying this. I can confirm that I cannot copy and paste from one instance of BIAB to another either. I tried Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and also the Edit, Copy command; neither works.

Pipeline is correct, I do remember this discussion from years ago and he brought it up again. It must have just gotten lost somewhere. I have a vague memory it did work after we mentioned it, but perhaps that was lost? I'm just guessing here - don't quote me on this. At any rate, it should work and would be helpful.

I will report this to the developers. EDIT: done.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to read more history on this, these two threads starting in 2014 will help:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=268586&Searchpage=3&Main=38377&Words=+%22multiple+instances%22&Search=true#Post268586

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=327723&Searchpage=3&Main=48046&Words=+%22multiple+instances%22&Search=true#Post327723
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/02/18 12:47 PM
Before anyone else tries it, I couldn't copy / paste a chord progression into RealBand, either. And of course, it doesn't seem to be placed into the Windows clipboard, so Notepad etc. doesn't work.
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/02/18 01:27 PM
I also tried about 5 different clipboard replacement programs, the ones where you can actually see what goes into the clipboard program, and nothing was placed into these replacement clipboard programs at all from BIAB.

So......
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/05/18 12:34 AM
You can try the BB Chord Picker Tool it will copy & paste a chord from one BB to another, I could get it to copy a lot of bars but it won't copy the chords with a , between, it would only copy 2 chords per bar not 4.

All BB needs is this option:

Attached picture RC-App-Copy.png
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/07/18 06:36 PM
I've rarely used multiple instances of BIAB but it could be useful in those occasions where one suspects that they have some form of corrupt file and they wish to create a new version of it.

To copy and paste chords from one instance to another, it can be done as a two-step process...

1. "File | Save Special | Midi file" and then choose the "Clipboard" option as the file's destination.

2. "File | Import | Import Chords from PG Music Midi File on Clipboard".

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/07/18 06:47 PM
I'll give that a try, Noel. I hope it understands jazz chords with complex extensions. For example, there seems to be a problem with a 7alt chord in Music XML. But I'll try it. Thanks!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/07/18 06:54 PM
I didn't try it with more complex chords. I had some slash chords in the song I tried and they transferred ok.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Multiple instances of BB - 04/07/18 07:03 PM
I was trying to add that to the chord picker tool but it was a lot of messing around, I think you will see the next release with the copy paste option, like the audio pan finally. Yes the midi export does all chords complex or not.
© PG Music Forums