PG Music Home
Posted By: Dave 2018 - release 516 - 04/19/18 05:11 PM
yesterday, I downloaded release 516 to what I thought was a reasonable place, bb/data/updates.

The download worked as expected, but when I clicked on it to start the update, it quickly failed. I'm not exactly sure of the message, but I think it said that I didn't have a version of BIAB 2018 in the BB library.

I terminated the update, hoping to get back to the start, but it mentioned that I needed administrator privileges, even though I was logged on under my Administrator Id. I couldn't do anything. The BIAB showing in the BB library didn't have the proper 'logo' and wouldn't run at all. I tried to delete it and got the administrator message again.

I was able, finally, to get the update to work by copying an older 2018 bbw.exe from a backup to the bb folder, moving the update program out of the update folder to the desktop and starting from there. It worked just fine.

If the bb/data/updates folder isn't the right place to download new updates, what is?
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: 2018 - release 516 - 04/19/18 06:36 PM
Hi Dave,

It doesn't really matter which folder you download update patches to, as long as you run them. I just download them to my Downloads folder, run them, then delete them. You don't really need a backup copy of an update patch for later, as you can always re-download it from our website if you ever reinstall BIAB and need to install the update again.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Mike Head Re: 2018 - release 516 - 04/19/18 06:46 PM
HI Dave

Myself personally have made my own place to download BIAB updates to, but not inside C:/ BB. folder at all.
Just C:/ BIAB Updates, here I usually keep at least the last 3 .
I can always reinstall the last known good version should the need arise.
As a mater of good practice I do not put anything in the C;/BB folder except what the installation program puts there. I even save my songs SGU/MGU to an outside folder.

Just my thoughts smile
Mike
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 2018 - release 516 - 04/19/18 08:53 PM
Another way to say what I think Kent is saying is that it doesn't matter where you run the update file FROM. As has been said, it also doesn't matter where you download and save the update file.

I keep my downloaded updates (the last few, like Jim said) on a completely different drive from my BIAB installation (Drive H, in my system)

When I run the update (from drive H, but it could be from anywhere), the setup file only needs to know three things: the drive letter and path to the main BIAB installation, the drive letter and path to the RealDrums folder, and the drive letter and path to the RealTracks folder. Please check that you did this correctly. In my case, since I have the RealTracks and RealDrums on yet another different drive, I put them in these folders:

G:/BB/RealTracks
G:/BB/Drums

Note that there is nothing in G:/BB except these two folders.

My main BIAB program is here:
F:/BB
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: 2018 - release 516 - 04/20/18 05:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI Dave

Myself personally have made my own place to download BIAB updates to, but not inside C:/ BB. folder at all.
Just C:/ BIAB Updates, here I usually keep at least the last 3 .
I can always reinstall the last known good version should the need arise.
As a mater of good practice I do not put anything in the C;/BB folder except what the installation program puts there. I even save my songs SGU/MGU to an outside folder.

Just my thoughts smile Mike

Ever confused what to keep; so can i always delete all older stuff?:
Got a few older PG Audiophile harddisks, usually with the plusses and bonusses on board

On my PC a BIAB 2012 folder containing 20PAK BB Add-ons.exe, RealTracks Bonus Set 2.exe, RealTracks Set 73.exe, RealTracks Set 124.exe. Latin Pianist.exe, and a 2015 folder with 2015_49pak_1.exe, 2015_49pak_2.exe. -F
Posted By: Dave Re: 2018 - release 516 - 04/20/18 08:52 AM
Thanks Kent
Iam sure that I had previously downloaded to my Download folder, but this time I decided to use what I thought was the PGMusic "recommended" location, bb/data/updates.

Running from this location failed.

when I moved the update to the desktop it worked fine. It looks like trying to run the update from within the c/bb folder was an issue.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: 2018 - release 516 - 04/20/18 09:11 AM
HI Fiddler

I was only talking about deleting the older monthly updates from my separate update folder as in fact you only need the last stable one,

Annual upgrades new versions etc I always install over the original in order to not loose any bonus material from past versions .
I my case I install everything to the pc in its default locations,

I also back up copy my entire current C:/bb folder to an external usb hard drive about 4 times a year. So worst case I copy it back and just run the latest update.

As an extra I also keep the original versions of each purchase as downloaded, complete with its downloaded original release update. and the last update for that version. Not much point in this step as the licence tickets in windows will have been over written by the licence for the new version when installed on top

Any thoughts on this last para anyone?

Mike
Posted By: Dave Re: 2018 - release 516 - 04/20/18 09:20 AM
Mike
I agree that keeping the last update is useful as it will save a download if you ever have to revert back. I have my original install on an external drive as well. Keeping backups is essential.

My issue is not with the backup / update process; it works quite well, but with why my install failed this time from the bb/data/update library.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: 2018 - release 516 - 04/20/18 11:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
HI Fiddler .......
I was only talking about deleting the older monthly updates from my separate update folder as in fact you only need the last stable one ... As an extra I also keep the original versions of each purchase as downloaded, complete with its downloaded original release update. and the last update for that version. Not much point in this step as the licence tickets in windows will have been over written by the licence for the new version when installed on top. Any thoughts on this last para anyone?

Mike

Pfff, so i must get me an even BIGGER curver crate, still have a lot of floppies from ATARI times, CDs, DVDs booklets and now harddisks ..... LoL.
© PG Music Forums