PG Music Home
I'm an extremely new user, just throwing in the chords to some originals while perusing the manual and watching how-to vids on YouTube. I'm okay with not knowing how to do much of anything yet but I don't like it when something significant and unintended happens.

So on one of my "experiment" songs, the second time through the chorus, BIAB continues playing the last chord of the chorus although the cursor goes back to the top and starts through the changes again.

I did two things differently on this song (that I can think of): (1) I marked the last bar of the chorus by right-clicking on the bar, and (2) I changed one bar to 2/4 time (and then changed back in the subsequent bar). Neither of those things seem like they should affect the chord progression.

So what did I do that i didn't mean to do? Thanks!
Well, I went to a different song file, then re-loaded this one and the problem has disappeared. "Turn it off and turn it back on" for the win, again.
Hi paul46038,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to read everything straightened out.

One mistake many new users make is to make changes to the chord sheet and forget to click the green play button with two stars to regenerate the song.

Another common mistake is to forget that one or more tracks have been "frozen" using the snowflake button on each track.

Although it wasn't needed in this case, when something strange happens and you want some advice it helps if you "freeze" all the tracks and upload the MGU or SGU file to cloud storage. Then we can download the file and see the same thing you're seeing.

One habit many users develop is to frequently save a song project under a new name. That way if something does wrong you can trash the file and reload a file that works correctly. For example, MySongV1, MySongV2, MySongV3 and so on.
Jim, thanks for the welcome and the tips. This looks like a good forum for newbie questions.

For what it's worth, I'll just mention that I decided to try BIAB for one very specific reason: I'm hopeful that I can use it to create better and quicker rhythm guitar parts that don't sound "fake" for my home recording. My first impression is favorable as long as everything doesn't end up sounding too similar.

PK
paul46038,

Many users have Band-in-a-Box to create home studio recordings. Listen to songs posted in the User Showcase. There is a lot of diverse songs there.

If all of your songs are country ballads, in 4/4 time, played in the key of "C", have a three chord progression, have an even feel and use pedal steel guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, electric bass and drums then things might get a little dull after awhile. But change even one of those parameters and you've greatly expanded the pool.
Hi Paul,

If this happens again, please let us know.

The issue sounds a lot like what happens if someone makes a repeat without checking the "Generate (insert) new bars" checkbox, but really shouldn't be happening when your chorus repeats.

It's possible that re-opening the song fixed it because it had been forced to regenerate, so be sure to try clicking Generate and Play instead of Play if the problem comes back and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
© PG Music Forums