PG Music Home
Posted By: MoltingVulture transposing to minor key. - 06/04/18 07:46 AM
If i have a song, like say a blues in C major, is there a way i can transpose it so for example in Cm the 1 4 and 5 chords automatically become Cm, Fm, G7?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/04/18 08:06 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Because major and minor are two independent musical key modes, it's not possible to transpose from one to the other.

That said, it's possible to use "Edit | Chords | Search Replace chords" to change all the chords.

For example, first use the function to search for C and replace it with Cm. Then repeat it with F/Fm. The G7 should be common to both major and minor modes.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/04/18 02:01 PM
Yes, type out your chords and then select which key you want to transpose to by selecting the key box near the tempo button. You should see a drop down menu there and simply select the new key and the chords will automatically transpose.

Trax
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/04/18 02:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
Yes, type out your chords and then select which key you want to transpose to by selecting the key box near the tempo button. You should see a drop down menu there and simply select the new key and the chords will automatically transpose.

Trax

That only works if you are changing from a major key to another major key, or a minor key to another minor key.

As Noel pointed out it won't change a C major blues progression to a C minor blues progression which is what the OP wants to do .
Posted By: MoltingVulture Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/05/18 03:20 AM
thanks everyone for your replies. so basically you have to do it manually, which is what i ended up doing. It seems strange to me, that you can't just select a mode or scale from a list, and biab changes the chords and melody etc
appropriately.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/05/18 04:25 AM
Yes it needs that, like RapidComposer has, it will match the chords for the new scale.

Attached picture RC_Chord_Scale.png
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/06/18 09:54 PM
I do NOT have any formal music training.

I just typed the chords: C F G Am F G Am C and then transposed from C to Cm. These are the chords that were transposed: Eb Ab Bb Cm Ab Bb Cm Eb? Are these chords NOT in Cm key?

Trax
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/06/18 10:35 PM
Hi Trax,

Yes and no. The song was technically transposed to Eb, which is the relative major key to Cm. Eb and Cm contain the same chords, but have a different tonic (root).

When you change the key of a song to a minor key, Band-in-a-Box technically transposes to its relative major, so it just has to move the notes up or down a certain number of semitones and avoid changing your chord structure.

I'm more of an audio/MIDI guy than a musical theory expert, so someone else may be able to explain that a bit better. smile

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: raymb1 Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/06/18 10:58 PM
You're going to run into a lot of problems with BIAB without a basic knowledge of harmony/music theory. The net is full of elementary harmony sites.
Posted By: jford Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/07/18 11:38 AM
And we're back to key signature versus song key. While similar, they are not the same.

When you transpose in BIAB, you are merely transposing to a new key signature. If a chord was minor to start with, it stays minor on the new transposed chord.

There is a recent thread discussing this. This is what I previously posted:

Quote:
The key signature is there for notation purposes and is not actually required. You can apply sharps, flats and naturals to individual notes within notation to your heart's content. By using a key signature, you have a predefined shorthand so you don't have accidental strewn about your notation and is much easier to read. There is no separate major or minor key signature. The key signature encompasses both the major key and its relative minor (G major and E minor both use one sharp, so only one key signature is required to represent both of them). You can't look at the key signature to determine the key of the song (as Matt said, you've got a 50/50 chance of getting it right). So you instead need to look at the notes or chords of the song to determine the key. So the key determines how the song sounds to your ear; the key signature determines what the song looks like on the musical staff.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/07/18 03:45 PM
Thank you for splainin it wink

Trax

Wishlist item?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/07/18 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
Thank you for splainin it wink

Trax

Wishlist item?

Done! +++ Wishlist Request +++
Posted By: MoltingVulture Re: transposing to minor key. - 06/10/18 07:01 AM
its interesting in that BIAB seems to understand chord functions in the way is can use roman numerals/nashville notation, yet this doesn't transfer over when going from major to minor keys.
© PG Music Forums