PG Music Home
Posted By: HappyRon Turning Of Realtracks and goin back to midi - 07/18/18 04:06 PM
I have a song where the melody and soloists are realtracks and I want to turn that off and go back to just using midi so i can enter a melody but for the life of me I can't get it to work.
Originally Posted By: HappyRon
I have a song where the melody and soloists are realtracks and I want to turn that off and go back to just using midi so i can enter a melody but for the life of me I can't get it to work.
You sound a little Unhappy Ron LoL .... In the Style Picker you can select Midi Only, or if you only want Midi on one track, see second pic. PS I found sometimes you'll have to erase or kill the melody RT first, 'track actions', but i don't know if that's a bug ...

Attached picture Style Picker.jpg
2nd picture:

Attached picture Select Midi.jpg
Posted By: Dave Re: Turning Of Realtracks and goin back to midi - 07/19/18 09:24 AM
Do you not just right click on the melody track and or soloist and select a midi instrument? Then, perhaps after erasing the existing track data, just start inputting the new melody.
I believe you can right click on the Melody track radio button and when the menu pops up, select "Select realTracks", and then select "Choose No RealTracks for this track". This is supposed to remove the current selection from the track. You should then be able to apply MIDI data to the track (although I'm not at my music workstation and can't explicitly test it right now, but it should take just a moment for you to try it and see if it works).

Repeat for the Soloist track.

I'm reading your original post as saying you are okay with RealTracks on the accompaniment tracks, but just want greater control over the melody and soloist track. If you want only all MIDI, however, then Fiddler's suggestion to only look at MIDI styles will ensure you only get MIDI tracks.
Bad News: When the RT originates from a Real Style, you can not replace the RT with a midi instrument since there is no MIDI data associated with the track. So the midi-instrument has nothing to play.

Good News: You can import midi data from another style which has midi data in it and then apply any instrument you want.
Doesn't a Super Midi instrument follow the chord progression and function the same as a RealTrack?
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Doesn't a Super Midi instrument follow the chord progression and function the same as a RealTrack?

I suspect you would be correct with that assumption. BIAB is a complex beast.
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Yes they do.

If Happy Ron wants some of the RT lead he could convert the RT to MIDI, modify it to his liking and select a sound of his choice. I know that Melodyne can do the conversion but I think RealBand can do it also, but someone with more knowledge of RB should set the record straight.
Hmm thanks so much for all the help. For some reason yesterday i tried turning off realtracks for the melody track and it didn't work but today it is! Or maybe i just did something wrong. I've only been using this program for 10+ years

Still can't get the other tracks to switch to midi one at a time but i don't need that right now.

Thanks for your help all, programs can be tricky!
ARGH, now for some reason when I enter the notes in the staff it doesn't play them. When I hit playback for the track they do play correctly, but not when I'm entering them. It's never done this before in ten years. Is there a button to hit to "play notes a s you enter them?"

thanks for all your help.
I had that, and a fix had to do with the synth DXi plugin if i remember right ....
© PG Music Forums