PG Music Home
Sometimes you'll want to add lyrics to your song. In this video we explain the various methods of entering lyrics into your songs using Band-in-a-Box® for Windows:

Video link http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fczaEh0ymc4
Callie,

Thanks for the video. I am fresh new user using 2018 Mac version of BAIB.

I have following issues related to recording lyrics, that I did not see being addressed in the forum history.

1. Accented characters (like á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ....etc) are not displayed properly and I could not find how to deal with it.
For example text "dlaně na čelo dá" is displayed as "dla? ne? na ?elo dá"..

Font charge in display options does not work. But this is a problem also anywhere else, not just with lyrics, e.g. song name, search bars in style picker, etc.

Is there a way to setup the program to accept these kind of characters? This is a very basic requirement for any software these days so I guess I am only missing something in the set-up of BAIB

2. Big Lyrics Window does not seem to show lyrics when only bar based lyrics are entered. Is this true? The video does not mention this specifically.

3. I could not find Lyrics document window in Mac version of the program. Is this Mac version limitation?

Many thanks

Richard
Hi RPA,

1) á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, ñ are all working fine for me, but ě and č are showing up as "?", as you've described. So the issue may only be with that one accent. Are you finding the same thing, or are other accents giving you trouble as well?

2) Correct, the Big Lyrics Window is only for note-based lyrics. That's why it's able to highlight the words as they go by like a karaoke player. Bar Lyrics don't have a specific timing like note-based lyrics do.

3) The Lyric Document window is Windows-only, but Mac users can store text in the Song Memo if needed.

Thank you
Kent
Hi Ken, many thanks, you are right what does not work are accents of some east European languages like mine. So these are all accented characters of the alphabet I am interested in (Czech and Slovak keyboards on the Mac):

characters : áčďéěíľňóôřšťúůýž

BAIAB : á??é?í??óô???ú???

I assume, that characters that work are shared with other languages like Spanish or German and this is why you have them implemented.

While I do not understand this technically, all these extra alphabets are part of "utf-8" specification that is being used widely these days in software implementations.

Thanks for feedback/outlook on this to make this great software work for me 100%

Richard
Originally Posted By: rpa
I assume, that characters that work are shared with other languages like Spanish or German and this is why you have them implemented.====All these extra alphabets are part of "utf-8" specification that is being used widely these days in software implementations.
I'd like to chime in on this, if I may:
This is the second time in your posts that you use the phrase "these days" in relation to computer applications, presuming that BBox is one such application - This is a common misapprehension that I see all too often around here, particularly from new users. In this respect BBox simply isn't like other "these days" kind of applications!
See, unlike most other computer applications "these days", unicode is in fact only very recently being implemented into BBox, at least on the Mac front, starting only around 2-3 years ago(!!) and this implementation is still not fully completed.
I get the same issues with specific icelandic letters like Þ or ð on my BBox for Mac, so now I simply don't use them anymore when working on this application. The fact that my language is also one of those "rare" ones that don't get 'localised' versions of the application has, as you rightly guessed, much to do with this whole issue.
So there's really only one real "solution" I can give you: Don't use them!

Oh, and NEVER try to save your songs with titles that use anything except ASCII letters! I learned this the hard way (whole songs have gone destroyed!). smirk
it doesn't tell me how to put the lyrics under the chords
© PG Music Forums