PG Music Home
Posted By: jerrypettit My external BB hard drive is filling up - 09/22/18 12:05 AM
Anyone know why and how to fix? I've looked and don't see any "weird" new files.

Using most current version of BB and RB on an external drive provided by PGMusic. Running out of room, although I do not save files to this hard drive!

Thanks in advance.
Please give us some statistics.
Right click on the Drive from the left in Windows Explorer and select Properties.
What are the values for Used Space and Free Space?

Is there a Recycle Bin associated with that drive?
Right-click on the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop, and select Properties. Is that drive in the list?
13.6 GB free of 149 GB (drive provided by PgMusic when ordered several years ago)

I went to Properties and clicked on the "Disk Cleanup" button and was told that "You can use Disk Cleanup to free up to 0 bytes of disk space on EverythingPak (H:)." It goes on to say "Files to Delete: and indicates DirectX Shader Cache with 0 bytes, and Recycle Bin with j0 bytes. "Total amount of disk space you gain: 0 bytes".

And yes, going to my Desktop and right-clicking on "Recycle Bin" shows that this EverythingPak drive (my H:) is there.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: My external BB hard drive is filling up - 09/22/18 05:40 PM
Are you running BB from that drive or main C:\
You can check the X:\bb\DragDrop folder on it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: My external BB hard drive is filling up - 09/22/18 06:03 PM
Jerry,

You mention that you have the latest version of BIAB. You also mention (in your second post) that you are using a 149GB USB drive supplied by PG Music "several years ago".

When I put these two bits of information together, it sounds like you have been updating the more recent versions of BIAB onto the USB drive from a few years back. Is this correct?

If my thinking is correct, I imagine that USB drive that you are presently using is getting near the end of its ability to store BIAB as the program continues to grow. It sounds like it could well be time to get a larger USB drive.

A few years ago, the program was around 100 GB (Ultraplus Pak). This morning when I measured the size of my \bb folder, the 2018 version of BIAB (Ultrapck) is just on 140 GB.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
Noel
My \bb folder is just on 152Gb.

I agree with Noel that if you are using the same drive from several years ago, the storage requirements will have increased with the installation of later versions.

I think the suggestion of getting a larger drive is in order.
Ah, ok. Thanks. Didn't realize the program had increased so much.

I hope the drive can hold out until the 2019 upgrade and I'll get the larger hard drive then. My BB folder itself is actually only 118 GB.

Hmmmm...why would there be that difference? You must save your songs to the same drive--I always export them to a separate Music drive.

And yes I AM running BB from that external drive.
Jeez, I just ran "Properties" on the \Realtracks folder inside of \BB and see that this is over 90GB of the problem.

How big of an issue would it be to move that folder to a different drive (plenty of room on my F drive, for instance) and somehow point to it in Settings?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: My external BB hard drive is filling up - 09/22/18 08:59 PM
Did you check the size of the DragDrop folder ?

Just copy the Realtracks and Drums folders to another drive then in RealTrack Prefs and Drum Prefs set the new folders.
You can do that. I did.

Move the RealTracks folder (that will take awhile!!). Then in BIAB go to Options, Preferences, RealTracks. Select Custom Folder and put in the path to the new location.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: My external BB hard drive is filling up - 09/22/18 09:34 PM
Jerry,

If you are going to re-locate your Realtracks (and Realdrums), you'll find it quicker to use "copy" to get them to the new location rather than "move". Once you're happy that all have been copied over and you've set the Realtracks (and Readldrums) preferences as Pipeline has mentioned, you can then delete the folders on the USB drive.

Prior to deleting, I suggest renaming the folders on the USB drive and then running BIAB for a week to make sure that all is well. With renamed folders, BIAB won't see them but it means you have everything on hand in case a problem arises.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: rharv Re: My external BB hard drive is filling up - 09/23/18 12:41 PM
Another option that I use is to copy the whole BB external drive to F: and then just use the external drive as a backup.

Keep F: updated as the years go by, but you'll always have the full version of whatever the external drive is as a backup.

I think I have all of the last 5 years hard drives as backups and just keep running everything from E: (for me) but F: would work just as well.
Here I use F: as the temp audio directory ..

I took this system in to work one day and one of the techs said "Holy Hard Drives RHarv, why you need so many drives?"
I don't *need* them I just like having them. smile

Attached picture drives-180923.jpg
© PG Music Forums