PG Music Home
Posted By: JohnTappan Cannot Save Changes--Newbie Frustration - 10/09/09 10:08 AM
What am I missing in trying to save changes to a song?
I open a song and then save it with a new name, just to experiment. Then I go in and try to change, say, the bass line. It doesn't matter if I make changes in piano roll, notation view, or if I record it with MIDI--it doesn't matter if I erase the whole track and start over, or force it from realtrack to MIDI--when I play it back with changes (even though I save it immediately),it always reverts to the original bass line. Am I completely missing something? Are these songs just un-modifiable? Any help is appreciated! I just don't think it can be this hard.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Cannot Save Changes--Newbie Frustration - 10/09/09 11:02 AM
Hi John,

You cannot change the piano - drums - bass - guitars - strings sections permanently in BIAB as they are automatically generated

"Basics
What is Band-in-a-Box?
Band-in-a-Box is an intelligent automatic accompaniment program for your multimedia computer"

You can however make a bass line in melody or soloist sections as these are editable

You may be able to do as you are doing now but by hitting - Replay - and not Play button (as this regenerates a new version) and record it in real time with a "what you hear" feature which saves it as an audio file

jazzman
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Cannot Save Changes--Newbie Frustration - 10/09/09 11:20 AM
Hi John,

I have discovered that it is possible to make changes to any of the automatically generated tracks (e.g. bass, piano, etc). Those changes will stay in place as long as you hit "Replay" rather than "Play" because using "Play" forces the accompaniment to regenerate. Once you close the song, all changes you have made will be lost. BIAB is designed from the perspective that live musicians do not always repeat each performance identically.

If you have a play around with RealBand, you will find that you can make changes and that those changes save with the file. The combination of RealBand and BIAB is very powerful.

All the best,
Noel
You can edit the style and then save the style with a different name but that won't do exactly what you want however it can make changes to some things that are not pleasant to your ear. I used to edit the drum parts alot esspecially the kick. I can't stand it when the kick plays on the + before the 1
Posted By: Mac Re: Cannot Save Changes--Newbie Frustration - 10/09/09 12:52 PM
RealBand is the program to use if you want to edit the autoaccompaniment parts of MIDI based styles by the note and have them stick.

BIAB, we can only get edits made on the Melodist or Soloist track to stick, because the other tracks will regenerate via the style file each time the song is loaded.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums