PG Music Home
Posted By: paul314 Printing quarter note triplets - 10/31/09 12:17 PM
Sometimes this works correctly other times not and I don't know why. Say the music is in 4/4 time and contains a single measure filled with quarter note triplets (6 notes evenly spaced through the whole measure). The notes are entered exactly where they should be. The resolution for each beat of that particular measure is set to 3. The clean notation box in not checked. It doesn't seem to matter if the style is swing or latin or whether printing is of notation window or lead sheet window or whether fake sheet mode is checked or not (as mentioned in previous posts).

What usually gets printed is a series of eighth note triplets with ties where needed, which looks cluttered and is harder to read. What I want printed is the proper quarter note triplets and sometimes it does do it - so it can be done.

But I can't do it consistently.

Any ideas?
Posted By: MartinB Re: Printing quarter note triplets - 10/31/09 02:28 PM
Play around with the Tick Offset settings in the Notation Window Options - it may make all the difference.

Welcome to the Forum
Posted By: Rachael Re: Printing quarter note triplets - 10/31/09 03:34 PM
First, make sure the notes are precisely entered using either the event editor or piano roll editor. Then, you may have to check the Triplet Resolution box in the Notation Window (Preferences|Notation). This seems to be dependent on the style (even or swing). Last night, I entered a bossa song and had the problems you referred to. Once I checked the Triplet Resolution, the printout was perfect.

Go figure.

R
Posted By: Joe Marks Re: Printing quarter note triplets - 11/02/09 08:32 PM
I'm going from memory here and away from my BIAB workstation, but I think the trick is to set the notation to triplet resolution, then enter each triplet as follows: start on the first triplet "bar" and enter the notes on every other triplet: i.e. triplet 1 of first group, triplet 3 of first group, triplet 2 of second group, etc. This should display and play as quarter note triplets.
Posted By: paul314 Re: Printing quarter note triplets - 11/13/09 05:08 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. It does seem that if (via the OPT button on the notation screens) the triplet resolution is checked then the quarter note triplets do display and print correctly. If, however, (via the OPT button) triplet resolution is unchecked but the resolution for the beats in the particular measure are set to 3 then, as I mentioned in my original post they often don't necessarily display and print correctly.

Checking the triplet resolution via the OPT button seems to solve the original problem but it creates another problem which is the converse of the original. I find that where other parts of the song contain eighth notes (entered exactly at the correct times) some of these display and print incorrectly as tied eighth note triplets (but others in the same song display correctly).
Posted By: Rachael Re: Printing quarter note triplets - 11/13/09 05:48 PM
I've found that even if the notes are entered precisely (using Piano Roll Editor), there are times when it has problems as you descibed. It seems that if the notes are not precise, BIAB does a pretty good job at the notation. Best bet is to keep the notes as precise as possible even though it can be a cumbersome task using the Editor.

I only have a few printouts where I was not able to resolve the quirks but on the most part, they are fine. Also, keep in mind that if the style is Swing, the Triplet Resolution will always be checked when the song is open - even if you unchecked it and Saved.

R
Posted By: MartinB Re: Printing quarter note triplets - 11/13/09 07:30 PM
Quote:

If, however, (via the OPT button) triplet resolution is unchecked but the resolution for the beats in the particular measure are set to 3 then, as I mentioned in my original post they often don't necessarily display and print correctly.

Tick Offset ...
© PG Music Forums