PG Music Home
Posted By: Mus Half note triplet notation bug [Resolved] - 12/25/19 08:39 PM
Hi all,

Happy Christmas folks!

I was feeling rather happy with my lead sheet generation for one song and was looking forward to trying another.

It has a half note triplet (3 in 2 4/4 beats) over beats 3 and 4 in one bar. This plays but does not display correctly in notation.

I've seen a few forum posts and tried all the suggestions (global triplet display, notation window beat settings, piano roll edit, quantize etc.) but nothing works.

Usually PG say BIAB is not a notation program. However, there are so many notation parameter settings that it seems odd that this most common of musical figures can't be fixed.

It's another example like shots and holds drums where BIAB is so frustratingly close to being perfect but ultimately falls short after years of fix requests :-(

Sorry to whinge again :-)

M
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/25/19 10:00 PM
Hi Mus,

I just went into the lead sheet options and a triplet across beats 3 and 4 worked for me if I followed the 1, 2, 3 on the image below.

That said, triplet can be a stumbling block in BIAB often. I personally prefer to work in MuseScore when I need more advanced notation features. For what it's worth, MuseScore will read BIAB files reasonably well most of the time.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture quarter note crotchet triplet.JPG
Posted By: Mus Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/26/19 10:16 AM
Thanks Noel, that looks good.

I have quantized everything perfectly in the Piano Roll and all my lyrics line up with the notes.

I have set the resolution of those beats to 3 rather than 4 (Treble & Bass)

The Triplet Swing Feel setting doesn't work on those beats but does odd triplet things to any syncopated notes in the rest of the score.

Importing into Musescore doesn't get all the lyrics and all of the quarter notes are imported as whole notes plus other random stuff. Similar results when I export & import via midi.

Very frustrating - I would attach images but photobucket is down.

M
Posted By: Mus Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/28/19 03:30 PM
Here is the normal result:

Here is the Global Triplet Resolution result

Both not so good!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/28/19 04:43 PM
Hi again,

The triplets on line 1 in the top image are definitely incorrect. This should be a crotchet+quaver (1/4-note + 1/8-note) triplet figure over the beat 3 and beat 4.

The triplets in the bottom image are correct 2-beat groupings but without knowing what your intention is, it's hard to say if they are right or wrong.

Can you make this song file (or part of it) available for download? (To do this, it's necessary to use an application such as Dropbox and then all you need do is to paste the Dropbox link for the item in a post in this thread.)

For example, if you go to my post at the below link, you'll find two SGU files that can be downloaded. I have used Dropbox to make these available to people. The files are at the end of the first post in the thread.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572052#Post572052

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Mus Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/28/19 05:12 PM
Cheers Noel

In the top image, the circled notes are meant to be the triplet and the rest of the notes are played and displayed correctly.

The bottom image has Global Triplet Resolution ticked and has decided to make triplets out of syncopated quarter/eighth notes and vice versa.

I could PM you the MGU rather than make it public?

Many thanks!

Murray

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/28/19 05:26 PM
Hi Murray,

PM is fine. (Apologies.. I should have thought of that.)

It's interesting that the straight 1/4-note & 1/8-note figure is being interpreted as triplets.

I'm around home today so if you provide a link for me to download it and to have a play around, I'll get onto it!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/28/19 10:14 PM
Murray,

Thanks for the file. I've had a play around with it and I think that your problem might be related to "Tick Offset". This is found in "Notation Mode | OPT" settings. (See #1, #2 on the image below.)

I always set this to zero and disable the "Auto set Tick Offset" so that styles do not change it.

As a rule of thumb, any time you are experiencing notation issues, have a look at this setting as it could be the cause.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attached picture tick offset.JPG
Posted By: Mus Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/29/19 08:01 PM
Cheers Noel,

Indeed.

The combination of Triplet Resolution on and Tick Offset 0 did the trick.

Many thanks!

Murray
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/29/19 08:08 PM
Murray, that's great. You might be able to press the Mark as Resolved button on your post.
Thanks for letting us know that this fixed the issue for you. This can help others in future also.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/29/19 08:34 PM
Excellent, Murray.

I'm glad that all's well that ends well!

Have a great 2020!
Noel
Posted By: Mus Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/29/19 09:22 PM
Done! Happy New Year!
Posted By: Mus Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/30/19 08:24 PM
One follow up to this, though, is that the Triplet Resolution flag resets itself so you have to remember to set it back when reloading the song.

Should it be so?

Thanks
M
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/30/19 09:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Mus
One follow up to this, though, is that the Triplet Resolution flag resets itself so you have to remember to set it back when reloading the song.

Should it be so?

Thanks
M

Hi Murray,

Yes. That's correct. The triplet resolution is determined by styles. The SW (swing) styles have it on and the EV (even) styles have it off.

You can set this to what you want by converting your present style into a user style via Stylemaker.

To do this...

1. load the song

2. now open "File | Sylemaker | Edit current style"

3. Use "Save As" (#2 on below image) to save the style with a new name (the name is restricted to 8 characters). I begin all my styles with NA so that I know which ones are mine. It also means that they group together in stylepicker. This means that the remaining six letters are used to identify the style.

4. select "Misc" (#3 on image)

5. set the resolution (#4)

6. close windows, click on Save and exit

7. now load the song, select the new style, save the song.

From here-on, the song will open with the resolution set as you want it.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture stylemaker setting triplet reolution.JPG
Posted By: Mus Re: Half note triplet notation bug - 12/31/19 09:00 AM
Great, thanks Noel, I'll try that :-)

Kind Regards
Murray
© PG Music Forums