PG Music Home
Posted By: KGU 2 Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/16/20 05:29 AM
Hello,

I cant seem to send my lyrics from biab to RB.

I see my lyrics in the bar based lyrics in biab, and as a thin line of text, at the top of the
notation window.

I next, export from biab as midi, and import this midi file into RB.

but the lyrics are not there.

stumped.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/16/20 08:51 AM
As far as I'm aware, bar-based lyrics are a BIAB thing only and are not supported by Realband.

Realband supports note-based lyrics, though.

As far as I can see, there is no quick way to convert bar-based lyrics to note-based lyrics even though BIAB now supports note-based lyrics without notes actually being present.

This would make a good item in the Wishlist forum.

To get bar-based lyrics into the note region, it's necessary to use the event editor in Notation Mode and add the lyrics bar by bar. It would be possible to copy bar-based lyrics a bar at a time using CTRL+C and CTRL+V.
Posted By: Dave Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/16/20 10:26 AM
Note based lyrics have never been attached to an actual note. They are an 'event' which generally coincides with a note but it not necessary. Using the event editor you can move, edit, insert a lyric event. It is also the only way I know to delete a lyric element if the note is deleted.

I use it often, especially at the end of a staff when lyrics are crowded in the last bar. You can move the position of the lyrics to the left, or put multiple syllables on one 'note'. I have also used a lyric event to add text or instructions.
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/16/20 01:09 PM
thanks guys. I see that event editor. I now add lyrics to it.
But I don't see where it displays them, no lyrics to be seen.

Event editor > edit lyrics.
Posted By: jford Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/16/20 03:14 PM
Noel is correct in that RB does not support bar-based lyrics, but does support note-based lyrics.

If you don't want to use the event editor, in RB, just as in BIAB, you can go to notation view and add lyrics to the notes. Just select your melody track and line them up with the notes on the melody track. If you don't have a melody track, just record one using just the rhythm (don't worry about the notes), then add the lyrics. You can later delete the notes if you wish and keep the lyrics (since they are just MIDI events). I have done that before.

See page 137 of the RB2020 PDF user manual for more information on entering lyrics in RB.
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/16/20 05:41 PM
THANKS jford, but so far this is too confusing. Are there
video tutorials that demo the lyric entering functions, options, and transferring between apps, for both biab and RB?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/17/20 04:21 AM
Hi KGU,

Click on the link to the forum below and lodge a request for PG Music to create a demonstration video clip for you.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=113&page=1

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/17/20 01:45 PM
Although several days off, if I have time (and unless PGMusic provides one before then), I'll try to post a video demonstrating lyrics entry this weekend.
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/17/20 06:16 PM
thanks guys,

will look forward to these videos!
Posted By: rharv Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/17/20 08:11 PM
For a typed answer, in RB
Select a MIDI track that contains the melody you want the lyrics to use.

Click Notation button
Click the 'L' button to go to Lyric mode.
Place the cursor on the first note - You may accidentally insert a new note when you click, just right-click it and delete it if desired.

Then in the Text box at top center type the first word.
Hit Enter and the cursor moves to the next note for the next word.
type lyric, hit enter
continue word by word
save

As for the needed melody track;
For Lyrics, this 'melody' track only controls the placement of the lyrics over the song (rhythm). Not melody .. so you can enter it using any MIDI input device. Doesn't matter what MIDI channel or MIDI notes it has. It just helps align the lyrics to the notation.
For this example I simply picked a random MIDI track and did the above.

Attached picture RB_Lyric.jpg
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/18/20 11:40 PM
thanks rharv,

but this adds to my confusion. I really don't use midi specifically. My workflow
is simple. I add lyrics in Biab. { bar based} But how do I transfer these lyrics, and the song, to RB, to use RB as a Daw?

This seems like an elementary music workflow to me. But why is it so hard?

PS - and how do I transfer it all back to Biab, for changes, and
vice versa?
Posted By: rharv Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/19/20 11:07 PM
Any time you switch back and forth between the two (RB & BiaB) you risk losing some feature the other had.
They are two different programs.
As mentioned, the workflow for many of us is start in BiaB, then move to RB to refine .. going back and forth has many trade offs, and most long time users realize you do 'X' in BiaB then move to RB to do 'Y'.

Also mentioned above is that RB doesn't do the Bar Based lyrics. It handles lyrics differently (and in some ways more accurately).
So I don't think you can move bar based lyrics from BiaB to RB. Maybe someone else knows different.
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/22/20 12:44 PM
BUMP
Posted By: Dave Re: Lyrics - export from Biab to RB - 03/22/20 02:32 PM
you will need to do note based lyrics even if all the lyrics for one bar are attached to the first note of that bar. If you don't have any notes in BIAB then create one in each bar with no velocity.
© PG Music Forums